Why do you think Americans care more about feelings than facts during the 2016 election?

Americans have been voting for politicians and policies based on feelings and even in spite of facts. Why do you think this new trend is setting in? Do you think Americans are sick of facts and their science?

0|1
1|9

Most Helpful Girl

• You ask this like it's a new thing when it isn't.

People don't need to educate themselves about their feelings. They already know those so they don't go to the trouble of actually learning.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's all about feels > reals

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!

What Guys Said 8

• Yes. It's been like that for pretty much our entire history. The dual party system has a great way of bastardizing and manipulating the general population. I'll link another answer I had that further explains it, but basically, the system dumbs individual issues down to a simple yes/no or this/that system. You're either for or against. People don't want to take the time or mentally can't (usually both) understand most issues. So I'm turn, they latch onto the rhetoric of what the party says. Most of the time they are arguing over mutual exclusivity when mutual exclusivity doesn't exist. It's like pickling a wall color being blue or red. Nether side is budging, yet purple is literally blue and red combined

0|0
    0|0
  • Sign of the times - We live in the era of the soundbite, rising populism - Say what the people want to hear (all sides do it) - It is happening in every election - One of the major talking points of "Brexit" was that "Brexit" sounds cooler than "Bremain" - In any no confidence vote , for optics it is always switched to a confidence vote.

0|0
    0|0
  • This will be my 9th presidential election in which I have voted, and it seems to get worse every election cycle. You now have candidates who will tell proven lies without even batting an eye and electorate that just doesn't give a damn.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you end up as an officer in the next war that's started because of them remember to make them lead scout...

0|0
    0|0
  • That's democracy for you.
    It's a popularity contest so whatever sounds best gets chosen.

0|0
    0|0
  • Humans are emotionally driven creatures, clamming anything else is illogical.

0|0
    0|0
  • Feelings are easier. They need not be justified with reality.

0|0
    0|0
  • Feelings are important

0|0
    1|1