How did you save up for your car?

Like did you have two jobs? Was it a gift? I know a couple of friends who used their refund from college but I think it's dumb because they have student loans still...

Most Helpful Guy

• Parents bought me my first car. Crashed it before they officially gave it to me. Pretty bad too, I rolled over.
    But anyhoo about a year later I got a full time job and saved up for it. Wasn't going to school at the time so it didn't take that long. Bought my uncle's '94 Cadillac STS and threw some Ds on that bitch. Went back to school. But then it started having problems left and right so I had to sell it. But because I wasn't responsible with my money, I didn't have much saved up because I went back to working part time. Put school on hold again, got full time hours and sold the caddy for a newer Infiniti.
    Basically it's a whole lotta working and saving your money. Unless u have parents or someone to help you financially. I would advice against loans or else you'll be in debt for forever. Especially if u can only work part time because of school. It's a sacrifice I made putting school on hold. But having my own car and not bumming rides or taking public trans was more important to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• I saved money, and also was lucky and had some money from an inheritance. I also went out and got a loan, so my first car was funded through some different avenues. The best thing you can do is try to find something you can afford. It can be exciting to buy a brand new car, but not always financially feasible. I've seen so many people come out of school and buy a brand new car, yet they can't even afford groceries. I bought an older car, but I paid it off in a short amount of time. I recently bought a brand new car, but I can now afford to do that.

Cars really aren't an investment anyway. So I would focus on spending my money on something that can help you in the future. You typically lose money on cars anyway.

What Guys Said 12

• Just saved up $500 for the shell and eventually bought a used engine from the Japanese importer for $300. When you're young, you basically have to have someone cosign to even get close to buying a new car. That or have a lot of money as a down payment.

What you do is you just continue to trade up till you either get a really nice car or get a job that allows you to afford one. Even modest lower end used cars are expensive.

• Mommy and Daddy bought my car!

But it was a lease, and I got stuck with the bill.

• For my first car, I saved up my tips from working at a grocery store and bought a 1968 VW beetle.

• my dad bought me the car in my pic.

• Selling stuff online

• Do you live at home or on your own? It depends if they bought a 200-600$ car it's not dumb, you can drive yourself to various jobs. If they bought a brand new car.. Stupid.

• Majority of them did down payments on used cars. One did get a new car though... I don't care if it's a used car, as long as it's not damaged bad

• cars are kinda overrated so just save up and get a cheap one that isn't rev limited.

• i worked.

• My parents financed my first truck I payed it off I got a bank loan for my next truck and financed my 3rd truck

• i have 2 used new cars and i used my tax returns to get them plus with a lot of deductibles and money saved up from work helped over the years, especially when i had a few junk cars i needed to get rid of and selling it helped too. plus selling a lot of extra things i bought over the years, i didn't need anymore at garage sales helped out a lot too.

• i saved via my tax returns

• I bought my motorcycle with 10 months worth of savings (around 3000€) and 2 months working 10-12h a day. My salary was around 2000€ a month. The bike itself was around 6000€ and insurance etc. was around 500€.

If you were wondering how I got the 3000€. I worked as a mailman for over 3 years with the salary of about 70-90€ a month.

• I'm not sure should it be considered 10 months worth of savings since it was on my bank account for 10 months. My mom transferred it from her account to mine since I was working under her name.

What Girls Said 12

• Save save and save. With a little ( lot of) help from my parents.

• I am planning to save up this year.

I don't think I can handle two jobs. It will be just one job.

By the time I am 20, I should have enough to buy one.
    But I don't know if I would be interested buy one in the future

• Used my savings from my parents

• I was given my car, and I'm very grateful for it.

• I did overtime and saaaaaaved. I worked hard for my car.

• I got my first car when I was like 15 because I started working and doing odd jobs at like 13, I walked to work until I could afford a car at 15. It was only like 1k but it got me to a better job so I could save up money for a down payment at that job and get a better car through payments.

I know people who did that too, this one girl at my work spent like 19k of student loans on a car and couldn't finish paying for her school, so she had to drop out. She had to drop out of college, has no education, totaled her car, so no car also and on top of that has to pay it all back, dumb-dumb lol

• What kind of odd jobs did you do? I'm willing to do anything. I'm literally saving aluminum cans right now

• I hope it works out for you!

• Thank You 🤗 I know it will

• My grandpa bought it.

• My grandmama passed down a car to me

• My parents went half and half with me. I paid 5 and they paid 5. I have been working since I was 16 and don't spend much money. I had a good amount in savings.

• Didn't need to

• But I'm in the process of doing it now, and I'm terrible at it

• Yeah I'm tired of having to wait on rides. I'll be living on campus in the fall and will need a car to go to work or hitch rides

• How long have you been saving?

• Working...

• My dad bought it for me.