When do you believe abortions are justifiable and why?

Many answers talk about unwanted children or children who will have bad lives. Do you or why do you not say the same thing about people who are homeless with no hope in life for a better life worth living?

Most Helpful Girl

• When a person doesn't want the child, no point in putting a child in this world when they were unwanted even before they're born.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not a doctor so I can't give a medial term for it, but for the most part I would say it's justifiable anytime except maybe the final trimester. People should have ultimate free will to chose what they want for their lives. A person should be allowed to get an abortion if they really don't want the child. In my eyes a baby isn't a living human until it leaves the birth canal. After all that what the birth certificate says.

I also feel that practicality should trump morality on this issue. I don't want people having babies who don't want them or can't care for them. If someone is wanting an abortion, odds are they probably should be getting one and are in no business to be parents. Forcing someone to have a baby they don't want or aren't in a position to care for is just creating a high potential for a dysfunctional child who will likely have a tough life for one reason or another. I serves society well from a practical standpoint to allow people to have abortions.

• Surprising that as a doctor thats when you say the child is considered a living human. Medically speaking what is the child in the last trimester in the womb?

• Asker, read his opinion again. He said he's NOT a doctor right at the beginning.

• yes, you need to read first of all. And two, the trimester issue is secondary. At the end of the day I support abortion plain and simple because it from a practical standpoint (not a moral one) it's what's best for society. Generally young adults, couples out of wedlock, or people in poverty seek abortions, which are all the types of people that shouldn't be having kids.

This isn't politically correct, but the reality is that birth rates out of wedlock are way higher in inner city African American communities who continue to suffer by constantly birthing children into poverty, with single parents to raise them. We'd be doing everyone a favor by reducing the out of wedlock birth rates in impoverished communities.

What Girls Said 21

• I think abortion should always be a viable option for women and couples who get pregnant.

A $1,000 abortion is MUCH cheaper than the $1,000,000 it takes to raise a child through college.

And a lot of people may opt not to abort - obviously people do genuinely want children and the existence of the human race is kind of dependent on men and women getting together and making babies.

But just because someone may want children gives them absolutely ZERO right to make that decision for someone else. If you want lots of kids, that's your call - have 20, I don't care. But you have absolutely no right to tell someone else that they MUST have a child as well.

So that makes me very strongly pro choice.

• Regarding the update: A homeless person is a sentient being that can feel pain and a range of emotions. An embryo isn't the same.

Though I'm pro choice, I'm also tough love but also empathetic. People SHOULD use birth control, however, sometimes it's hard to get birth control-especially for a teen who would have to sneak behind a strict parent's back to get it. I guess I'm least sympathetic to the time. If I got pregnant, I know I missed my period within a month, then I would get the money and get an abortion. I get mad at the thought that people waited a few months then got the abortion. Why? But then I consider, not everyone has regular periods to even miss and not every one has hundreds of dollars to have an abortion. At the end of the day though, there's no point in a child being born in a world where it can't be taken care of and where it will suffer, and grow up suffering-hell, even foster care isn't always safe. And no child is guaranteed to be adopted. It's better to terminate a pregnancy than let a child be born and suffer.

• 1. If the mother has been raped

2. If the baby is killing the mother

Those are the only two cases i find re acceptable and even then I'm on the fense because I still feel as if the child deserves a life. I don't want to hear anything from anyone because my opinion will never change about this if a child is unwanted there is always adoption.

• A couple people have pointed out something that I have failed to mention if the baby is very ill/has a medical condition and won't survive.

• Homeless person = someone who is already alive and living free from the bonds of another persons body.

A child in the womb = cannot survive in the outside world without that woman's body.

Not the same thing.

• When the pregnancy is unwanted, because I think every child born in this world should be wanted and loved.

• As for your update - homeless people are already alive, they have a history and dreams and relationships. They are functioning human beings who can decide for themselves if life is worth living. And embryo or fetus is just an embryo or fetus.. it has no memories, no personality, no dreams, no goals, no ideas, no interests... all it has is potential. The evidence is all around us of what happens to that potential when it is abused, neglected, shifted around the foster system... so why bring it to fruition? By aborting, nothing is lost - no conscious being with hopes and dreams and a history is extinguished.

• I don't know.. I've never had to have one and I wouldn't want to.

I guess if the mother is at harm, or if the female or couple feel like they really can't handle having a baby... but I mean there is adoption too... but putting your body through all that just to give your baby up is very difficult in itself.

it's a scary thing to be pregnant (never happened to me) so I don't know. it's a tough question and is different to every woman and couple

• That's a very personal decision, and one that I feel people without uteri are not qualified to make. They can advise, but their decision is not the one that matters.

• Rape and if a women just genuinely doesn't want to be a mother. I do say there should be a line drawn of when she can't have an abortion. I can't remember off the top of my head when the cells start to really develop into a baby, or when the baby can start to feel things , but that would be the line. Like lets say those things happen 3 months in , then a women can get an abortion 2.5 months or something like that into her pregnancy.

• Pregnant girl can decide.

• I think it's the mother right to get an abortion not us telling her what to do

• good thing trump is likely going to be able to nominate three supreme justices. we can finally overturn roe v wade.

• Yes even though it technically goes against what I believe in they are justified. it is better that the child be aborted than grow up in an bad environment. And why can people tell women what they can and can't do with their bodies anyway?

• Because they don't see it as the woman's body and its another body. Nothing is done to the woman's body, besides going into it to kill another body.

• Oh okay. But I still think it's the woman's choice I am very strong on that.

• everybody gets told what they can and cannot do with their body. go try and sleep on a sidewalk. they will tell you to move your body.

• I'd never abort
    Never

• Only if the mother's life is in danger.

• never.

• Only in the case when a mother's life is in danger. Otherwise look around you will find many childless couples who would die to have the baby!

• Women should always have a choice to get an abortion.

• If the baby is killing the mom and the mother is in a bad place.

• I believe it is justifiable at any time. A woman should be able to abort her fetus at any moment. It's not our place to decide when and why it's justifiable.

• Look around, do you honestly want kids in this world full of chaos? I dont. For any reason a woman or young girl needs to have that option of abortion. Do you know that more women have died from complications of pregnancy and labor than an abortion? Yet that isn't mentioned in the news or by those who think its morally wrong.
    I always find it interesting that more men post about abortion being wrong than women do.

• I don't believe there is any excuse for abortions.
    That's murder, and it's sick.

• Sometimes, like if the reason is if the mother's life is in danger or if the mother was raped.

What Guys Said 14

• That's for the woman to decide.

• me personally only believe in abortions in the case of rape, incest, and also very young people

but i support abortion as a decision that women should have the right to make for themselves. i may have my opinion on when abortion is warranted but i don't think my beliefs should be dictated to others

• two other cases where i am personally ok with abortion
      the chances are high or certain that the child will be born with severe disability or life threatening disease/illness
      it is shown that the mother's life is in danger

• Instead of abortions why not just completely sterilize beforehand? That way no unborn persons are ever actually conceived in the first place that ever may need to be aborted for whatever reason that they or anyone is trying to "justify".

Any other case it's because of crimes mentioned and because of medical emergency conditions.

• to save the life of the mother. or if the kid is going to be born with bad medical conditions. otherwise nothing.

• 1. Mother's health is in jeopardy be it mental or physical
    2. Bringing the child into the world would guarantee that he/she would have a bad life and so would the mother.
    3. Financial instability, although this could be remedied if the person receives financial aid
    4. Any other extreme cases I have not mentioned.

Otherwise the woman should keep the baby.

• All the time whenever the woman wants one. It's not a life, it's her body. She can have 20 abortions in one day and it's none of my business.

• No, but there definitely is a case to be made for trying and executing both the doctors and women whom participate in abortions.

• when is comes from rape, or whatever. like you're stupid as shit and you come from and abusive family i think it would be better to abort the poor bastard

• If a woman was raped I think it would be cruel and unusual punishment to make her have the baby of her attacker. And if having the baby was an immediate threat to her own life. No other reason should be acceptable for the killing of an innocent child. Just because you too lazy to take of a child , or worried about your belly being stretched out is no reason to snuff out an innocent life. At the very least they could have the child and put it up for Adoption to give the innocent a chance at life.

• Never! Abortion is murder! 😣

• If the sex wasn't consentual.

• yes.

• Rape or medical issues. Other than that grow the fuck up.

• they're justified anytime a girl wants to kill her baby.