Do you think that your vote makes a difference?

My answer is a strong resounding yes, but I wanted to see what everyone on here thought

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• For some things yes, but for the most part no, for example, they already have planned who will be the next president long before the votes, if they dont get enough votes, they usually change the votes or use dead people to add votes, theyve done it before, for the most part the voting is just a formality, we will take your vote but your opinion doesn't matter, the president controls the media, the politicians control the president, the rich control the politicians and money controls the rich, another example is not too long ago i think it was last year the senate passed a bill to be able to pass bills overnight without a need to vote, shortly after that they passed a bill allowing the president a license to kill so to speak, allowing him to assassinate any civilian he or she deems fit or exudes the description of a terrorist. Shortly after that they passed another bill allowing the president to declare martial law on its citizens during peace time. Now their list of what a terrorist looks like and personality, it states someone with a bushy beard, im not joking, someone who has more then 7 days worth of food in their house again im not joking, someone of certain beliefs, didn't specify which, someone who has abnormal behavior and someone who has discontent towards the American government and its laws. All of these passed without votes

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. Just look at the recent Brexit referendum. So many people voted Leave because they thought their vote didn't count and Britain would remain in the EU regardless. And well now everyone's crying because they've regretted what they've done and we've actually left.

Same goes for any voting system.

What Guys Said 30

• For the presidential election in the USA? Not my vote, no. I live in a blue state. The Democratic candidate always wins here by hundreds of thousands of votes. Who I vote for makes no difference in the outcome of the election.

Even so, I like to think that my vote sends a message that a candidate needs to take positions I care about if they want to win my vote in the future. Together with other people voting the same way, I do think there is sometimes an impact. I know in my area the Republican candidates for Congress lean quite far left because they have to in order to get votes.

At a local level individual votes definitely could matter, though. I've seen elections where less than ten votes decides who becomes mayor or whether a referendum will pass.

• yes it does matter to an extent. in close elections it clearly matters

but even in a situation where a candidate loses a very close election can really influence how the winner operates knowing that they won by such a slim margin and that would mean that there are a lot of people who have a differing opinion than their own... so if they wanted to be re-elected they'd have to keep in mind that portion of the electorate who didn't vote for them and find a way not to alienate them further

• No, but principle matters. Just lol no further than brexit. It passed by like 52/48, 51/49 or some shit, but like a mere 32% (or should I say a really low percentage) of millenials voted and now everyone is pissed. If like half of them voted, it wouldn't have passed. Same thing with the elections. Your vote doesn't matter, but if everyone feels that way, then you have to live with the consequences. But some do matter. Lol at the 2000 elections. The problem is that we live in a republic and the votes aren't created equally. Again, the 2000 elections. Al gore shit on Bush in popularity, but the distribution differences gave him a significant boost

• In expected close votes I do feel energised but in landslides I don't feel same way - We have constitutional amendments and a lot of them are crossing the Ts and dotting the Is like one was "Children's Rights" of course everyone nearly supports these particular childrens' rights I think it passed 88/12 %

• Just another fart in hell.

• It does yes, everyone's vote matters and it's your duty as a citizen to vote, our ancestors fought, bled and died so that we would have that right to vote for who we wanted and vote on the things that affect our lives. By not voting your basically saying that you don't care about all the people who died giving us the freedoms and rights we have now, the most important voting.

• It makes little to no difference.

www.mintpressnews.com/.../

• mathematically, empirically, no!
    if the result of an election is 10000 to 15000 then it obviously doesn't matter if i voted or not.

however it's necessary, and something akin to a moral responsibility, for us to pretend that it does, 'cause it's only when we collectively believe this that democracy has any chance at functioning.

• what for?

I don't think it dose for shows like BGT or X-factor type of shows.
    In my opinion they're all a fix and know who's going to win from day one

• At this point no I don't. You can vote for who you want but it ain't gonna change who the establishment/elite want elected. The people wanted Sanders, the establishment wanted Clinton, and guess who won.

• You're just one person, give up while you're ahead.

Don't worry about your vote, worry about influencing the vote of others.

Be a wolf not a sheep. Think in terms of the pack but in terms of leading it. The catalysts of votes are the makers and breakers of elections.

• You never learned about the 2000 election where Bush was decided by the electoral college and not the majority vote.

• If I voted for Nixon in '72, no because it was a landslide. If I lived in Florida and voted for Bush in 2000, yes because it was very close.

• Yes and no. In this case, it didn't, since I voted Sanders and Clinton became the nominee instead.

I'm still going to vote for Clinton, but those Trumptards' stubbornness should not be underestimated.

• No. I'm a republican living in an overwhelming democratic state. They just banned AR-15s again, yet I can go but a ruger mini 14 rifle which is just as dangerous but doesn't look as "dangerous". Go figure.

• It depends on the country. In some countries elections are only to make people believe in that they are elected by their votes although not so

• I think it does

• if everyone thinks his/her votes will not make a difference and didn't vote, then what?

• A single ant doesn't do much for a colony. But the colony will each do as much as an individual ant.

• Yes, but do you know what makes an even bigger difference? Your voice.

• i voted remain... where did that get me?

• İt depends on the country.

• It only makes a difference if I answer no.

• I'm British and in Britain we have a first-past-the-post electoral system and what that means is a candidate who gets a majority of the votes wins the constituency and the parliamentary party that wins the most constituency seats makes up the majority and can form the government or coalition government if they do not get an adequate majority.

Now if I live in a Labour safe seat where the Labour candidate wins every general election, if I vote for Conservative or the Green Party then my vote does not have the same significance as a person that votes Labour.

It's a wholly undemocratic system, but then a majority of Europe is undemocratic, so I can't say I am surprised.

• Yeah I don't waste my votes on Republicans and Democrats

• No, it's just one vote, it can't make a difference

• nobodies vote in america matters.. the campaigns and elections are bought and paid for by anybody who can afford to do so; even if its a foreign company from china

• NO, because of the electoral college.

• depends on what state you're in. votes in PA, OH, FL and VA count more than others. One of many reasons the electoral college needs to go.

• My state has voted democratic for the last 10 elections. My vote won't make a difference since I'd vote republican because no Hillary 2016.

What Girls Said 8

• I would have said "no", but then I remembered how younger people who emigrated from this country already went to vote for Johannis. If they wouldn't have thought that their vote mattered, even a little bit, we would have Ponta, not Johannis.

• I've been told that the election has been rigged, so even if "I" vote, my vote doesn't count for shit. Which is why I dont care to vote.

• I hate it so much when people refuse to vote. Your vote does matter, it will make a difference. The establishment want you to think that you're powerless because that's what keeps the status quo strong. If you demand change, you will see it.

• Yes..

• Speaking only of elections in the United States and limiting my comments to presidential elections, The Electoral College design has made the vote irrelevant except for swing states.

• In the big scheme of things, no.

• Nah it's all rigggggeddd

• Statistically it doesn't