Do all computers support games?

Up until now I've been a console gamer. But I really want to become a pc gamer. I would really love to play skyrim with loads of mods. But I've never really done any research on pc gaming. My mom found her old pc in the attic. It's maybe 7 years old. I wonder if I'd be able to play skyrim on that thing, or do I need to buy a very expensive high tech gaming computer?

Most Helpful Girl

• Just skyrim? Or do you plan on playing most of the upcoming games on the PC as well since you wanna become a pc gamer?
    Skyrim (even if it's modded out) is not a demanding game, even my potato of a pc can run it perfectly fine. Just have a decent intel or AMD processor, and a decent video and sound card. I mean, the game is compatible with a windows XP OS so you can the idea of what you're dealing with here.
    You can use this site on your old pc to check if the game meets the system requirements:
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Most Helpful Guy

• PCs aren't like consoles. They don't all come with the same hardware. Usually the game will come with recommendations for the hardware you need to give you a tolerable experience. Usually it will be called the "minimum system requirements". You need to find out what's under the hood of that PC and what the minimum requirements are for Skyrim.

Chances are your average 7 year old PC will choke on modern AAA titles. However the nice thing about PCs is you can upgrade them and if you're smart about what kind of hardware you buy when you build them you can get a lot of life out of them. For example, my PC is about 7 years old as well but I sunk a lot of money into it when I built it and I've upgraded it over the years so it can barely squeeze out a tolerable framerate in FarCry 4 (if you can call 24fps tolerable). Not very good but not bad either for a computer at the end of it's useful life (well, for high performance gaming anyway).

Sadly, a really nice video card and a RAM and CPU upgrade will probably cost you about the same as a cheap XBox One anyway so if you're a console gamer, it's hard to justify.

What Girls Said 1

• Most likely not. Your computer from 7 years ago is unlikely to hold the system requirements compatible with Skyrim.

However, you should just power it up and check the system requirements compatibility with Skyrim, before you consider getting a new computer. You can check them online.

What Guys Said 9

• No not all computer can. Since I don't know the specs of your PC, most likely not... Understanding gaming PC is not that hard. There are main things you should consider in the specs.

1) Graphics card (GPU)
    2) Processor (CPU)
    3) RAM

GPU and the CPU are the most expensive parts, latest models such as GTX 1080 graphics card can cost as much as 600 to 800$ but you dont need the latest to run Skyrim... If you want your games to be able to run at max setting with decent frame rates you're gonna need a good GPU. To know what's good, know the GPU's clock speed and it's GPU architecture. The clock speed are measured in hertz. So look for 3 to 4 Ghz in modern GPU architecture.

CPU's clock speed are measured in hertz too. So look for 2-3 Ghz.. Since you want mods (I assume graphics mod) which needs shaders, you're gonna need a decent CPU too to have smooth playing..

RAM is not so much important in gaming. Standard in computers today are 4GB, I think Skyrim's recommended RAM requirement is 4GB... Anyway, it's better to consider 8GB of RAM since that's becoming the Standard now.

I recommend building your own PC. Since you already found a PC that means you have a case and dont need to start from scratch. First boot up your system, check the specs of your computer.. Check if it has good specs.. If not, open your case and buy new parts such as motherboard, GPU, CPU, RAM and probably power supply unit too.

• Raymond. . . I'm glad you want to join the master race but you've got a lot of learning to do

Yeah, you'd need to buy or build a PC. You can get a skylake (1151) i3 bundle for about £200 an FX 6300 bundle goes for £140

media.giphy.com/media/QDK1pCI43lGhO/giphy.gif

P. S. Nexus mods

• Pc gaming can be done on the cheap or for lots and lots of cash.

Skyrim was released 5 years ago so unless the 7 year old PC you have was pretty good it's not going to be running Skyrim, let alone with lots of mods.

Skyrim is coming out with a DX11 update in the fall, it's removing the 4gb VRam cap on the game for PC so the game with or without all the mods will become MUCH better after that.

You can build a quality gaming PC without spending a lot of money though. this is also something to consider.
    http://i.imgur.com/I5OZtvj.jpg

• I don't even know what VRAM and DX11 mean.. xD I just wants to play cool games. Why does this have to be so complicated 😢

• lol it's all good, don't be intimidated it's all pretty easy stuff to learn and if you don't want to learn you don;t have too.

From your old PC do you know what processor and video card it has? or if it has a model number, like if it's an HP or something for example.

• Our computer at home (which our parents also use can run skyrim). We bought it for around €400 or €500 in 2012.
    But my laptop, which I bought in the same year, for about the same price, can't run skyrim.

So you might want to set that 7 year old pc up and download skyrim (torrent) to test wether it works or not.
    My guess is if it works it will be laggy.

I think if you would buy a pc now for around €400 or €500 then you'd be able to run most games pretty well. But I'm not sure, these are just guesses!

• Make sure you have at least DOS 6.22 and run MEMMAKER before you try to run Skyrim on that thing or you'll crash your RAM. Making a boot disk might help, too.

• You would not be able to play Skyrim unless you upgraded the hell out of it. You don't need a high tech computer for last gen's games, but a decent computer would be good. An Acer computer with 1 TB costs about 500$ on Amazon.

• I don't think your mothers 7 year old computer out of the attic will be good enough.

• probably you can't
    you can buy a good pc gamer for not a lot of money

• I suggest building your own gaming PC.