Under what conditions do you fall into a coma?

Like what causes it... How does it happen? Is it when you hit your head? If there is trauma somewhere else? If you lose too much blood? If you have a heart attack? If you just pass out? IS it all of those? None of those? And how else can it happen, I'm pretty curious

Most Helpful Girl

• Basically impairment in the blood brain barrier and movement of hemoglobin carrying oxygen and removing carbon dioxide in addition to swelling causing excess pressure on the brain.

Most Helpful Guy

• There are a number of reasons why someone can slip into a coma... Yes, one reason would be due to traumatic brain injuries
    like falling from a height, a car crash, etc. It can also happen due to a lack of oxygen reaching the brain. You see drowning victims and people who have had heart attacks slip into a coma sometimes. Infections like meningitis that cause inflammation int he CNS can also cause some patients to slip into a comma. Drug ODs can do it. If you have a brain tumor that is putting pressure on certain regions of the brain comas are possible. There are more reasons for it but there's a few for your consideration.

What Girls Said 4

• There is wayyy too many things to name tbh. For example my aunt is in a coma because the medication they gave her was too strong and it gave her a seizure.

Why such a weird question though?

• Like I said curious of how something like that can happen... And I didn't know, I wanted to know, now I know lol

• Like an injury that damaged your brain :o

• If something bad happens to you head

What Guys Said 3

• I just saw a girl was sent to ER.
    Cause had a quarrel, she eat sleeping pills verry much.

• I heard low sugar

• In HS I lapsed into a coma. The ancient history teacher was ancient & boring.
    Luckily for me I came to when the buzzer buzzed.

Normally it's from trauma to your head/ brain. A fall or hit to the head. Lack of blood supply can also cause it. Your brain will pretty much shut down to preserve the other vital organs.