Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide - what are your thoughts? Do you think they should be legal or illegal?

Do you think it would be good in certain circumstances?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 9

• Legal. If someone is suffering and just wants to die a peaceful death, they should. No point in keeping them alive if they feel a lot of pain that won't end. Like I know a lot of friends and family would probably want to be with them "until the bitter end", for as long as possible, but that's really selfish if the person is suffering and essentially dying a slow and painful death. If one of my friends/family went through something like that, I'd rather know they didn't suffer and were able to die peacefully, instead of being in pain until they died of natural causes. And if I went through with something like that, I'd want to be able to choose when to end it if I feel like I can't take the pain anymore.

• Yeah I think it would be hard to decide on what circumstances it should happen but I think you're right.

• Both should be illegal. It should be legal to stop artificial ways to keep you alive but to actively induce death should be illegal

• Hmm interesting! Why do you say that? Isn't it their life?

• It's good that you think so it really is but not everyone thinks that

• I know not everyone thinks like that but it's a shame they don't! So they should ! I know how it feels to be depressed but it's not a fatality ^^

• I fully support it, as did my grandmother who campaigned for decades about it. Sadly she wasn't allowed to die on her own terms but instead had to suffer for years and years with countless hospital visits, breaking her spine regularly and being patched up and sent home until the next injury happened... I'm grateful for every moment I had with her but to fake away someone's choice is disgusting.

We give animals more respect.

• Aww I'm really really sorry to hear that! It's so upsetting to think that people have to suffer like that!

• Yeah that's a shame but it sounds like she had a good life and was a great person!

• She did and she was.

• I think its sad we glamorize suicide. And at the same time people start these movements to accept people because they commit suicide yet and the same time they support this. Suicide is suicide , i dont care how you did it. If one is normal to you so should the only one.

• I'm for it in the case of painful and terminal illnesses. It's being legalized in Canada, but I imagine that there will be heavy restrictions on its use.

I completely understand why doctors do not want to allow euthanasia. It is against the Hippocratic Oath to treat a patient in such a way that cause harm to them. But I also completely understand why someone who is dying and in a great deal of pain may not want to prolong the experience.

• It is easy to say 'make it legal' but there are many questions that arise from it
    How will you decide whether or not the person qualifies for euthanasia? It's really difficult to set a parameter.
    Who will do it? Doctors?
    Killing/helping kill someone is a terrible thing. Would YOU be able to do that? I don't think I would ever do that!
    What about the misuse of this provision? How are we going to prevent that?
    It should be made legal if and only if these concerns are well resolved.

• Yeah I agree it's hard but especially in the cases where everyone, even the doctor, agrees 100% it's the humane thing to do it maybe could be considered. I don't know it's hard, I'm not sure what to think.

• Well I think in that case it should be considered. Actually some people do that even now.
      I know someone who was on ventilator and doctors said that this person will never be OK again and will survive if and only if he's on ventilator. His relatives then signed to take off his ventilator.
      It is easier this way but when you want to make a law for it, you have to be very careful

• Ohh that's sad but it sounds like it was the right decision to take off his ventilator. Yeah if a law was passed it would have to be looked at closely

• Legal. If you're dumb enough to nullify any insurance you have then why not.

• Ugh I hate the thought of money matters upon death. It's a strange thing

• Money is always a choice. I know I'd live a few more weeks just so my family would be provided for.

• Yep you're right!

• I think it should be legal

• I am not sure on this one. I used to be sure it should be but I read about some old people doing it so they won't be a burden and not because they actually wanted to deep down. That made me sad. They weren't doing it because they didn't want to live, but so their kids, grandkids, family wouldn't have to "cope with them" when they're sick.
    I just know personally my mother would do it for those reasons, but myself and siblings would not mind taking care of her and I know many people in the world feel the same.. so somebody doing that for those reasons would break so many hearts.

• Yeah it's really hard to think about. In your example though, even though the people around the individual don't mind looking after them, they sometimes don't want to live like that. They literally can't live with it.

• Yea my aunt says that all the time "please, if anybody ever needs to wipe my ass for me, just let me die" it feels dehumanising for some people or they're embarrassed or feel like they can't have any pride or something, I don't know.
      I do think people should have the choice, but I also think nobody should ever choose to simply so they're not a burden.. most of us don't see loved ones as a burden and don't mind taking care of them if we need to. It's sad if people see themselves as a burden.

• I think it would be hard to decide when it's right or not but it would be good if sometimes it could be considered somehow. Yeah it's sad when people see themselves as burdens :(

What Guys Said 13

• I'm from Switzerland and my country is one of very, very few countries in the world (currently it's only Switzerland and Belgium I think and it's going to be legalized in Canada) that allows both active and passive assisted suicide.

As for "euthanasia", you have to explain to me what exactly you mean by that. I think English speakers have a very different idea of the word "euthanasia". In German, we don't ever use this word anymore because it has an extremely negative connotation. When German native speakers here the word "euthanasia", we automatically think of the Nazis killing handicapped people (unwertes Leben ("unworthy life")) in the gas chambers. I'm assuming that's probably not what you're referring to...

• Oh no sorry I just thought of euthanasia as ending life to end suffering or pain, not to kill handicapped people.

• Ah I see. So... something like turning off a life-saving machine in the hospital basically? I think we call that passive assisted suicide in Switzerland. It's considered "passive" because the patient would technically already be dead if the machines wouldn't save his life. So by turning them off, you're just letting nature take its course.
      As far as I'm informed, passive assisted suicide is more common and legal in a couple of countries.
      Active assisted suicide on the other hand is currently only legal in Switzerland and Belgium. That's when you're not close to death but you WISH to die for a specific reason. In Switzerland, there are two companies called "Exit" and "Dignitas" that would then provide you with the means to kill yourself (usually a poisonous drink that kills you without any pain). Of course you have to go through a psychological therapy first though, to make sure that it's a serious, long-lasting wish.
      Personally, I am very much in favor of both being legal.

• I think that both should be legal.
    It is insane to make it illegal to commit suicide.
    That sort of law is the result of God botherers projecting their fear of death on to the rest of the population.

• Of course they should be legal. Everyone should have the right to decide when to check out, and to make it as painless and easy as possible.

• I think it should be legal, but that doesn't mean it should be used all the time. It should be considered for things like mental illness/paralysis, e. g. dementia. That's what I think, anyway.

• I would agree with strict control - With family, medical, psychological and legal consent.

• Completely legal.
    People who are suffering from a debilitating disease such as cancer should be able to die painlessly

• Legal, if the person wants to die let them, if they are fucked up beyond repair pull the plug, if they have brain damage and can't talk or walk or whatever and are a burden pull the plug.

• It should be very illegal. (It's certainly sinful.)

• But it's not a sin against anyone else is it? I know the family could be upset but if everyone agrees then it could be ok right?

• oh ok I see what you mean

• I also believe abortion is wrong for pretty much the same reason. Killing any human, regardless of how "physically developed", is murder in my eyes...

• it's gonna happen regardless.

• hospice allows you to find death if there's an "emergency"

• Oh ok. I didn't know this. I always here people from the UK going to Switzerland for it.

• They should be ILlegal.

• Why? Or is that just your gut instinct?

• Yeah that's the hard thing - I don't know whether we can get the right procedures to discern when they should be used.

• It's spontaneous, because, yes, I have no adequate comeback against an extreme example: someone eating through a hose or being kept alive by computers what ever, But it would be fallacious to act intuitively. One also has to think about possible consequences and my biggest concern is relayed in #3. Human ingenuity can be used for good And evil.

• I think it's the individual's choice to live or die.

• Yes.

• I think it should be legal. I believe it is legal in Switzerland and there are safe guards in place to protect the person that requires the aforementioned.