Is it weird that my country's language doesn't have a 'he' or 'she' or 'him' or 'her'?

I just realised, my first language doesn't have these. When we refer to a person (s). We use words that aren't sex specific.

• Ohh intersting so not all languages have feminine vs masculine nouns like in french etc
  • That is weird
  • no its not weird

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not weird, it's interesting!

What's your first language? If you don't mind me asking.

• Tagalog which is an Austronesian language, apparently other languages of Austronesian roots are also the same

• I see. I've heard about Tagalog, but I didn't know it doesn't have "he", "she", "him" or "her".

• Thanks for the MHO!

Most Helpful Guy

• It's very interesting for me because I study linguistics but it's certainly not weird. There are many languages like that. My girlfriend's native language is Korean and in Korean, it's similar. Strictly speaking, there is a personal pronoun for "he" and "she" but in every day life, it's hardly ever used. Either, you would just say "that person", or more commonly, you would talk about a person by using their title (very important) and name.
    There are also languages such as classical Latin where the personal pronoun is built into the conjugation of the verb. For example you could say a sentence such as "Magnam et pulchram silvam vidi" ("he/she sees a big and pretty forest"). Here you don't need to mention any personal pronoun because the form "vidi" of the verb "videre" (to see) already indicates that it's 3rd person singular. Thus, a personal pronoun only becomes necessary if you want to clearly specify who you're talking about.

• And by the way: you shouldn't confuse grammatical gender (such as masculine/feminine/neuter etc.) with personal pronouns. These are two different things. A language can function without personal pronouns but still have grammatical gender. Latin would be such a language. It Latin, personal pronouns are almost never used but there are three grammatical genders and they're extremely important.
      On the other hand, English does not have grammatical gender but it does have personal pronouns and they are very important in the English language. So these are two different concepts.

• Ohh interesting. Thanks

What Girls Said 1

• would any of those include ze, or zer? because those words are not realistic.

What Guys Said 2

• Weird.
    What language is this?

• Tagalog. Apperently other Austronesian languages are also the same

• I am not triggered