How come guys are offended by the word "feminism" but think calling huMANs "MANkind" is ok?

Asking the important questions here.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 84

• Because "feminism" is only about females and no, we're not offended by it like feminists are offended by the word "feMALE". Men are offended when extremist feminism express their hate towards men followed by saying that they care and try to ameliorate the condition of men.

As for 'male' and 'female', 'female' was later remodeled around the word 'male', so again this isn't entirely (or even mostly) wrong, but it prior to this there wasn't a shared etymological root; 'male' came from the old French 'malle', which itself came from a diminutive of the Latin 'Masculus'; whereas 'female' came from the Old French 'Femele', which came from the diminutive of the Latin 'Femina'.

Interestingly, the word ‘men’, meaning “to think” or “to have a cognitive mind”, was also gender neutral and connected to “man”, which meant “the thinker”. So we can see from that how “man” originally referred to all huMANs.

We shouldn't criticise the literal and logical aspects blindly and try to focus on real issues for betterment of the whole society.

Peace.

• Digitally meant 'human'
    Feminism is an ideology, not associated with humanity except perhaps as a plague, Ike ZIKA

• We're not offended by the word... it's just a word. We simply dislike the movement it is today.

Are you one of those "womyns"?

• I think guys have more of an issue with the actions of the movement than they do with the prefix.

• Nah. Ain't inclusive enough.

• @hellionthesage sorry but the movement has evolved and now includes battling against racism, battling for lgbtq+ rights, and battling for men's rights as well.

• Well it doesn't because its not battled for anything but womens priviledge. You cannot claim that feminism fights for mens rights when they have actively taken away a fathers right to be with his children. You cannot claim they fight for men's rights when they push for laws that ignore male victims of domestic violence (ironicly the most common victims of domestic violence are males) you cannot claim they are for men's rights when they actively hide the fact that women rape men at the same rates as men rape women and continuously disparage and ignore male victims. You cannot claim they fight for mens rights when they claim women almost never falsely accuse men of rape (provably false) and then when they are proven to be falsely accused stand beside the woman who destroyed the mans life and reputation. You cannot claim its for men's rights when they have taken away all reproductive rights from men. That's just stupidity. Might as well claim the KKK is about fighting racism.

• Well this is a pretty stupid question but I'll answer it anyway.

"The term man (from Proto-Germanic *mannaz or *manwaz "man, person") and words derived from it can designate any or even all of the human race regardless of their sex or age."

Because the original meaning wasn't specific to males. That's where the word Human and Mankind came from.

Also I don't know anyone who would be offended by the word feminism lol.

• Plenty of people think the term isn't inclusive enough.

• Sure but this is still such a minuscule and a pointless "problem" that there is absolutely no point in changing those words. It would decades, cause much confusion etc. and even then like 99% of the population don't give a shit about this "problem."

Also something being an extension isn't innately negative, I feel like I could just as well whine about men being just men while women get their own extension to the word. It really is pointless.

• Well I never said it was a massive problem either :D

• How come guys are offended by the word "feminism" but think calling huMANs "MANkind" is ok?

Easy

WoMAN
    Man

Mankind

The term mankind was made as a broad term for all of humanity and can designate any or all of humanity regardless of race, gender, color, creed or age.

also I'm not at all offended by the word feminist I just don't like the group, but saying the word isn't going to get me offended or riled up or anything like that, that would be ridiculous.

• Who gives a shit? Feminists complaining about words like human and mankind is one of the reasons why feminism is so fucking retarded. I'm not offended by feminism, I just hate it. It's just language. It evolves. Trying to change language is like rewriting history. It is what it is. Changing language like that was the beginning of all the PC bullshit.

So this question really is asking why a large movement that seriously affects the whole of society is different than a fucking word. Can't people find better things to worry about?

• I used to see myself as a feminist. However I have seen where feminism has led to. What comes out of the mouth of a lot of feminists makes no sense. These women seem to want all the good stuff but accept none of the bad stuff which comes with that. Basically they say that anything a woman does is good (even lying) and anything a man does is bad. So I can no longer support it. Even women now turn their backs on feminism.

So instead I call myself an equalist. I strive for equal opportunities for both genders and all races and I have done that all my life. I hate seeing women not getting chances to get a job. In the business I have created I have chosen to work mostly with women. Not because they were women but because they were the best people for the job.

Feminism is no longer about that. And that is what pisses me and a lot of guys off.

• Ok but what does this have to do with my question tho

• Of course, I understand what you mean. To be honest, it's a word I seldom use. Maybe i's because English is not my first language. But it does appeal to that whole "Adam, us men were were first and then Eve and the other women came" attitude. I find that wrong. But if you wanna go further into you would have to address the bible. It also states that the man is always higher than the woman. Something I DO NOT agree with.

Still, this whole "mankind" thing has become just a word to describe a species (may it be wrong or right). Feminism is nothing like that.

• Because feminism is about special treatment for the sake of been a woman lol they just want mass privilege over men

• Well for starters man is a general term a generic term, by adding a prefix such as wo you get a specific type of man, same goes with the suffix kind. In fact if you think about it its insulting to men because it means all men are just generic drones in a hive while wo-men are specialized and important. Men are not and thus get no acknowledgement as such (which is also why societies have had no issue killing men in the pursuit of progress (like workplace accidents/deaths (98% of which are male)) and in expansion, resource gathering (ie military) and the protection of the populace (historicly conscription into police service (formation of posses and restraining of criminals) bucket brigades (to put out fires and pull people from burning buildings). and just being expected to fight and die for a woman and to stay and die so that she may live like the Birkenhead drill (women and children first)) not unlike a drones role in the protection of the hive and queen. The reason their is issue with feminism is the refusal to acknowledge such things, the complete attempt to rewrite history to make everything one sided ignoreing the privildege that women had (their where many hence women being the ones who where originally the most against feminism) and ignoring all the many many responsibilities men had. Then the claim that they want "equality" despite a completely bias and gendered agenda makes for the added hypocricy of their name (fem (female) ism (ideology)) frustrate them further since clearly their agenda is not what they claim according to their actions.

• "it means all men are just generic drones"
      Or it means man is the expected norm and woman isn't, but is abnormal?

• There's a difference between staying away from something, versus teaching that it's a sign of inferiority and shame.

• @mistixs Yeah I don't really argue with cherry picked biased data. I just mentioned multiple cultures who did the exact opposite and then you come in and pretend that all cultures treated women like shit and men like they where perfect (again despite the fact that men slaved in fields to give everything they had to women and died in those fields defending said women (which by the way completely negates everything you are trying to claim. Kind of like claiming a slave owner lived under worse conditions then the slaves, it makes no logical sense what so ever and any sane and rational person would absolutely understand that fact) So yeah please stop trying to lie about things which are misrepresented and then further misrepresented by you and other feminist in order to push your agenda. If this was the case then you wouldn't have the right to speak at all (after all women never actually fought for anything)

• I don't think "ALL" guys are offended. The 1st and 2nd waves of feminism made tremendous strides on improving the choices women have in living their lives. If you're speaking about the 3rd wave in the west for the most part it's a lot of entitled and spoiled complaining that wants to put women in a "protected class". A majority of women who identify as feminists can't agree on what the issues are and often accuse one another of not being a "true feminist" a lot of mainstream feminism these days come from tumblr and regurgitate what buzzfeed tells them.

• I have noticed that a bit maybe because here is a sensitive minefield I might be talking about mankind and then think what do I say humankind has a bit of a problem. Seriously I don't even know what the problem with the word "Feminism" is but I feel if we spent less time worried about trivial things like words and concentrated on things like rights and opportunities for men/women, all races, all faiths, all sexualities etc what I call the concrete issues. I am not fighting with anyone here but just want to say if you are going to fight make sure it is worth fighting for and you are not just fighting for sake of it.

• I am NOT offended by the word 'feminism'
    Old conservative three times divorced Republican so-called 'pundits' are. And some television evangelists:

popreflection.files.wordpress.com/.../...devil.jpg

• Because in most latin based languages we consider the male nouns to be gender neutral so when we are referring to all humans or both genders, we use male pronouns. I. e. do you "guys" want to go to the store vs do you "gals" want to go the store. The later only makes sense if the group being addressed is all womene.

The word Man, has a dual meaning, it can mean the human species, short for mankind as you noted. Or it can be in reference to a singular male. Listen, I didn't create modern linguistics so I haven't a clue nor am I responsible for our lexicon.

People don't get offended by the WORD feminism. They get offended by what it ACTUALLY represents. It largely advocates female superiority (whether it realizes it or not) and therefor inequality by supporting ideas based on myths and misinformation. It makes generalizations of the male gender based on the examples of a small few.

Men and women will never be exactly the same. We're just different and as a result will always experience life differently. There are advantages and disadvantages to being either gender. However, lately women are being conditioned to become hypersensitive, and this question is a prime example of that. You find something offensive and oppressive in anything because of confirmation bias. "Say something enough times and people will eventually believe it". You've been told so many times that you are the victim, you've gone numb to the problems other people face while overemphasizing your own, which in a sense is selfish. You subconsciously see something to gain by playing the victim and the very least a piece of mind when you fail because you now have something else you can blame (social injustice).

Now if you are really going to suggest there is something inherently offensive or discriminatory about the term mankind and humans, you are poison and just part of the problem we are now experience within our society.

• (1.) Guys who are offended by the word "feminism" probably are still in high school or have the brains of a high school guy.
    (2.) "Man" is what people are, male or female. English is weird because it usually doesn't have gendered words but DOES default to "man" for everything, yet we call males "man" too. WO-man & FE-male, use the prefixes "wo" & "fe", which means "not". Basically women are identified as "Not men". It's old and can be considered sexist, but since there's only two sexes it's easy to just name one of the sexes "a" and the other "not-a", which is where we get it. Technically we know now that the "default" setting for people is women because the female body cannot create a male chromosome on its own, but back then it was assumed men were the "default" setting for people and the mother just transformed the fetus.
    So yes, it is technically sexist nowadays, but so is how many other languages describe things (like with gendered words).

• It's kind of like "Black Lives Matter" vs. "All Lives Matter", "Cop Lives Matter". There might be some people generally hung up on the word, "Black Lives", but the resistance to the movement is generally based on the oppressive ideologies of the extremists and the effect their propaganda has on the moderates.

As for feminism, even a lot of proponents misunderstand that it's ultimately based on women's advocacy (which was at least historically needed and still needed in many places throughout the world). It is supposed to be women's advocacy towards gender neutrality but it's not a movement that is going to be focused on advocating men's rights as well any more than BLM is going to hold meetings about oppressed white people.

Some people might genuinely get hung up on words like "fem" in "FEMinism" or "man" in "huMAN", but they're just silly people who take offense easily and divert precious resources away from real issues.

• I like to spam this video but it's from an advocate for feminism that I actually deeply respect. However, she is still not doing this for men so much as women. She's not fighting for my rights as a male. She's still about women's advocacy, but she's repelling a lot of the bullshit of the movement academically because she realizes it's only going to further damage the plight of women. Her message is basically, "Women, take back the truth."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TR_YuDFIFI

• ... she's basically a feminist with a functioning bullshit radar.

• Oh my god lmfao.

WoMAN
    Man

• sadly i think people (men and women alike) are turned off at the perception that all feminist are "feminazis".

i don't know why that is the prevailing sentiment. i consider myself a feminist. a humanist. a egalitarianist... or whatever you want call it. and i surround myself with like minded individuals that don't believe men need to be oppressed but simply that we still have ways to go to close the gender gap

• Words don't affend me. The actions of those hiding behind the label "Feminism" do.

It's not a male thing to not like to be associated with these people. It's rather common to distance yourself from them.
    www.telegraph.co.uk/.../

• Feminism has a gendered prefix. A word that many argue is essentially the defining word in regards to the ideology of equality among men and women probably shouldn't have the bias of a gendered prefix.

If, say the word 'masculism' picked up steam and men tried to adopt that as a means of the defining ideology of the equality of men and women, then any rational thinker of either gender could easily call bullshit on that as well.

The word 'man' is still a definition for both human males and people of either gender. It actually referred to both genders before it picked up popularity in use describing males. Neither of the words 'human' and 'mankind' are attempting to define any form of equality among the genders.

• This question is just ridiculous. Nobody gets offended by the word feminism just what the ideology stands for. Being offended by human and mankind is just fucking stupid. It's the English dialect. Who cares? Do you know of another word we could call it? Would you rather us call it "Further Evolved Homosapian kind"? Or possibly "people kind"? No. It's been Humankind for hundreds of thousands of years. The fact that people are just starting to question it now only speaks to how stupid the ideology is and how desperate they are to complain about something. Feminism is forcing men out of jobs and causing general political uproar. In my country feminists got mad and started a campaign to change our NATIONAL ANTHEM because it says "son" in it. You don't see white people getting mad at "home and NATIVE land" do you? No. No you don't. Feminism is grasping at straws at this point with this straw man.

• Because "man" is in human but "woman" is not?

• As in "woman" is merely the extension of man.

• 1. Burden of proof fallacy. You're making the claims, you back them up.
      2. False. www.rainn.org/statistics/victims-sexual-violence
      3. All the time when women bring up women's rights. Men often scoff and say things are "equal enough" for women from their perspective and start comparing developed countries to developing countries, as if that's "proof" that sexism doesn't exist anymore.

• I don't expect you to change your views but I'm defending my views and google will tell you the answer.

This is just sexual violence and for that, even then, 1/6 women get sexually assaulted but then there's that 1/10 of men and yet men are shamed for being wimps when they come out with it. Where's the male shelters? Huh?

• This is a horrible comparison. There's woMAN and man therefore, mankind refers to everyone... Besides, feminism is outdated and wrong. Where's the oppression?

• And where do you think the "man" in "woman" came from? Man. Obviously. Duh. So did mankind. Everything is about men.

• Men are superior in every way, problem?

• How dare you.

• Because the usage of the word man to define male is relatively new. The original term for female was "wyf" and male was "wer", while "man" meant all humankind. Over time usage of the word man took on a secondary meaning for male, which has become the primary definition and the original primary definition is now the secondary usage.
    So it's not really the same thing as "fem" in feminism, because of the times in which it was created.

Yes, I'm aware there was a certain level of sarcasm to all this lol. I just thought I'd still give a logical answer to the posed question.

• I don't care about this issue since it doesn't concern me in the Latvian language. We actually have completely differently sounding words for man (vīrietis), woman (sieviete) and human (cilvēks).

• Pretty silly focusing on this considering English isn't the only language in the world. For example, umano is human, uomo is man, and donna is woman in italian, in Spanish it would be humano, hombre y mujer. So as you can see, this grammatical dilemma would not apply to every language of the world.

Even though there are people who argue about the term "feminism" being exclusive and whatnot, that's far from being one of the main issues about feminism... quite obviously. Is what these women say and do, the actual problem.

• When did I claim it was the main issue?

• Well, it's far from being an "important" one. I support these feminists becoming egalitarians, but its more about the actions from one group to another, rather than the word itself.

• I dont find feminism insulting but i do find it annoying when they are over gung ho and insult others and men just to be maliscious and change names like mailbox to femalebox and mayonnaise to femyonnaise and God to her, firstly God has always been a male secondly them insulting and degrading others just counterbalances the points their trying to make and its childish and makes them no better then the guys thst do the same things. As for changing the names, thats just silly, i am all for women being treated equal and having power and all that but at least be more cival about it and mature and intelligent and tactful, can't win anyone over with insults. Guys do it to yes, which means they need to work on it too.

• Frankly, this question is asinine, nonsensical, and nonsequitorial.

• interesting question, i don't really have an answer, but i'd say if we wanted to change it, it'd have to be a decision by everyone around the world unanimously agreeing, and what would you change it to? Hukind? Humosapiens? (i know, we have homosapiens, let's just use that)

• Well because of questions like that.

• cause human and mankind is not a word for men. it just happens to have those 3 letters in it. just like "woman" xD feminism though is a purely female word, therefore not suitable for a group claiming to fight for equality.

• "It just happens to have those 3 letters in it" lol. What a "coincidence".

• It's not about slapping feminism on it, it's about feminists supporting them.

• yeah but it´s not feminism that´s the point.

• More from Guys
    54

What Girls Said 26

• Really, this, is an important question?

• Did I say it was? Is gag only for important questions?

• And why do we call ourselves feMALES? Is this a troll?

• Because everything is about men :(

• Obviously a troll, lol.

• i say "humankind" or just "people". it's not a politically-charged statement, but just how i see the world.

first and second-wave feminism accomplished a lot, in terms of how we are treated. but feminism has completely veered from its original aim and is pushing for female superiority, rather than equality for all. and, as with any group, i have no problem with your beliefs as long as you don't shove them down my throat.

i would go on, but i'd likely trigger someone's delicate feelings in their safe space.

https://i.imgur.com/jALYMh.jpg

• It is not the word that anyone is offened by, its the movement of stupidity that is attracting all the woMEN now, sorry had to do that! Anyway, feminism or the original word humanism or what started this whole stupid trend I will refer to as feminism has destroyed the beauty of a female and turned it into something ugly! Where you see a lot of posts stating that men think all feminists are lesbians - that is so damn true! I see them in my college at this feminist club. Not only that it turned men into wussies and assholes to other women! So I hate the movement - the third wave that is, we have enough as women so what more do we need!

Yes, some things do affect us differently such as certain drugs but we do not need all this bullshit now! I am ok with not making more than my husband - it is only a damn dollar difference and even if it is not, I just want to live comfortably, where I can afford anythign I want and not ever think about not being able to afford this or that but who cares if he is making more than me! I am sorry just this whole bull is getting out of hand!

• Because feminism leaves a horrible mental image of a fat chick nagging you to treat women better but then is a jerk to anyone that's male.

• I dunno, I think complaining about mankind not having woman in it is exactly the kind of feminism I don't support, but being offended by the word feminism is exactly the same...

I mean, there's an obvious answer to this and that's that they are whining little bitches who need to get a grip and do something more productive with their whine-time.

• because they're assholes and frankly the man in those words are just fine. You're also missing the big picture.

• Elaborate what picture I'm missing please :D

• I'm not summarizing the standing arguments against feminism. That's something you could easily look up yourself

• i'm offended by the word feminism. because the majority of feminists are man hating, victim playing, money hungry, lying, cheating, manipulative psychos who want to control the universe and always have a way to blame men for everything... even when it's their own fault. how about trying to take responsibility for your own choices and stop acting like the world owes you something? feminism is crap.

• because human is an all encompassing word that includes all genders much like the word guys when speaking to a group regardless of gender.

feminism on the other hand has proven itself time and time again to be mainly female focused and in many ways anti-male.

If tomorrow someone invented Africanism and said that everyone who believed in racial equality was an Africanist we'd all think they're insane. It's the same policy for feminism, hence why I call myself an Equalist.

• You have to be either a troll or just trying to start controversy. This cannot be a serious question.

• Do you also believe the word aMEN is sexist? Human
    human & hum

"These ROOT-WORDS are HUM & HUMAN which come from the Latin humus, meaning EARTH & GROUND and the Latin humanus which means MAN. It is interesting to follow the changes of idea here. It begins with HUMus, earth, then becomes HUMble, lowly; finally to HUMAN, Man. But we must never forget the origin of man; “Dust thou art and to dust thou must return."

Every word had a root word. They aren't just pulled out of thin air

• Mann (german root) used to mean people not men. the fact it went from referring to women and men to just men is 'interesting' yes. but not innocently so.

• ...“man” originally referred to all humans. Not sometimes all humans ; sometimes and often exclusively male.

• @AriadneSky are you talking to me or asker?

• Because man was created first.

• I doubt anyone is offended by the word feminism, that's only believed by feminists. If anything feminists are the butthurt ones and usually its over immensely petty and nonexistent problems

• Some people just don't understand that crazy ass batshit feminazis aren't the same as feminists who are actually trying their best for equality in the world.

• Is not the word, but the meaning people give to it.

• Some guys are offended by the word feminism because they don't understand the difference between crazy idiotic "feminists" and tolerant normal feminists. And I dont see a problem with the "man" part of words because it is referring to MEN and womMEN.

• Sadly the idiotic section is the normal group to come across. It isn't just men who feel this way.

www.telegraph.co.uk/.../

We don't disagree with the original goals (equality of the sexes) but the movement itself has become something many people aren't interested in. In some cases it's even petty. Air conditioning units being sexist is one that jumps to mind.

• Technically woman has the word man in it too. I think that's thinking too much into things. we shouldn't have reword everything. I honestly wouldn't have even noticed that if you hadn't posted this question. lol

• As a young woman I am embarrassed. Feminist need to fucking go away. This whole movement for women is total horseshit.

• I don't think the word feminism offends people. And in all honesty I truly don't think feminism offends most right thinking men. It's the over the top feminists, the sort that give feminism a bad name, that ruin it for the rest of us. That's what offends people and men in particular. Just my two cents.

• It does. They think it isn't inclusive enough, hence egalitarianism etc.

• I mean egalitarianism and feminism are two different things. egalitarianism has existed even longer than feminism, so it's pretty ridiculous that you imply that egalitarianism came to be because of feminism not being inclusive enough, cause that's just not true.

• Can't compare an ideology to plain old nouns.

• Centuries old mindset.

• It's like they expect the world to revolve around them or something!

media3.giphy.com/media/YG3qalnBXN0pG/giphy.gif

• The stupidity and ignorance on this question is astounding.

• proves how so-called a "master" and a "supermod" can be as dumb as a rock.

• Sure because asking a question for fun to get a rise out of people is illegal.

• woMAN. Just saying. It's not offensive. Feminism is offensive.

• Oh, for fucks sake @lumos, you know you can be a great girl and I've seen your pic as well, damn beautiful, but you keep pushing guys away. STOP TRYING TO MAKE EVERY FUCKING DETAIL between us the same... ugh!!! Such a huge turnoff. You have potential girl, because you are smart and beautiful and probably extremely talented but you destroy the part of life that is supposed to be so amazing. Get off your backside and learn to like guys... damn women... stop asking dumb questions

• Woah. This question was posted for fun because I knew how people would react.

• Cause most men grow more concited through generations , it will never end.

• It's spelt 'conceited' you poorly-educated woman.

• @BruceJender missing a letter these days means no education. Great logic -_-