Do you ever think that we should use the IPA alphabet for English so there's no weird spelling rules?

də ju ˈevə ˈθɪŋk ðət wi ʃəd ˈjuːs ði aɪpiˈeɪ ˈælfəbet fər ˈɪŋɡlɪʃ ˈsəʊ ðeəz nəʊ wɪəd ˈspelɪŋ ruːlz?

• Yes (jes)
  • No (nəʊ)

Most Helpful Girl

• Wow, no, that's a terrible idea.

It's a terrible idea for all the reasons why "standardizing" spelling is a terrible idea anyway:

• ENORMOUS transition costs (lost time and business, not to mention trying to change *everything* with English words on it...)

• Lost patrimony and literary heritage

• Communication difficulties between the "before" and "after" generations -- and a COMPLETE lack of experts to teach the new system

• The current system isn't *that* much of a problem, anyway (let's get real here -- compared to Japanese or Chinese, in which you have to memorize at least 2000 different characters just to achieve basic literacy... and those characters can be pronounced in as many as 20 different ways each, depending on how they're combined to make words!)

... but, even more importantly, it's an even MORE terrible idea, because you would literally have a different spelling system every 100 miles or so that you traveled.

E. g.,
    "dog"
    would be
    dʊəg in NYC
    doəg in Baltimore and DC
    dɑɒg in Charlotte
    dɔʊg in Louisville
    dɔɡ in Cleveland
    dɒg in California and Nevada
    däg in Milwaukee

... You get me. (:

This would be just as bad as trying to go back to pre-railroad times, when every different city in the USA had its own time zone. (Did you know about that?)
    www.slate.com/.../LargeTimeDiagram.jpg

Lmao if you click that, you should be able to expand it big enough to see all those cities on there...
    ... yeahhhh #nope

What Guys Said 11

• I have just got used to the British non phonetic English spelling after 47 years, I get confused with more American phonetic spellings now you want to throw this IPA at me - Maybe try on the kids but leave me out of it, it is true you can't teach an old dog new tricks (LoL).

• NOPE FUCK THAT SHIT. Keep this out of schools it'll end up like the complete mixed abortion of metric/imperial systems we have in Canada lol.

• The British took over 1/3rd of the world so we'd never have to deal with people who couldn't speak English, and so we'd finally be able to understand manuals. Don't squander that sacrifice!

• Вхат до ю меан? xD

• I'm always thinking this---- now so cal Mexicans have no excuse not to learn English

• What the actual fuck.

• I kind of spell like that after too many IPA's.

• Not at all.
    Its way more difficult to spell like that

• Most English speakers can hardly speak proper English, and you to introduce an even harder version to the populace?

• Weirdos

• I think we should use German since writing and speaking is the same like with the IPA alphabet but you don't need to learn new letters.

• Ei sink wi schud juus Tschoermen sins reiting end spieking ies te seam leik wif te IPA Elfabet bat ju daund nied tu loern nju letters

• No that looks like it's upside down , spell correct would really be interesting with that

What Girls Said 8

• No then I'd have to learn the new way. I'm 31 and I wouldn't have the English langue changed.

• wɒt ɪf wiː ˈbɛtə juːz aɪ-piː-eɪ fɔːr ɔːl ˈlæŋgwɪʤɪz, ænd nɒt ʤʌst fɔːr ˈɪŋglɪʃ?

What if we better use IPA for all languages, and not just for English?

• Too confusing.

• i'd rather not

• IPA can be used for any language, because is how it sounds.

• No thank you. I'll stick to the comprehensible alphabet.

• Whoa, I can read that.

• What is IPA? Indian pale ale?