How do you usually feel when someone tells you something you don't want to hear?

If you're looking for advice or you're expecting some kind of news, how do you usually react when it's something you don't want to hear? How do you handle and process it?

Most Helpful Girl

• in most situations, i take it on board. the only times i will react negatively are when that 'advice' is expressed with judgment, assumption and the belief that they have me all figured out. a personal attack disguised as 'positive criticism' pretty much. i dont take that shit from people.

otherwise, I'm very open and willing to hear others out.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm fine with it I mean I just watched the entire Democratic convention so I watch 3-4 days worth of BS and lies I didn't at all want to hear and it made my physically sick but it was necessary to understand the enemy.

The only time I have a problem with it is when people cross a line and hurt innocents with crass or insensitive talk. As I personally don't give a rats ass if you tell me something I don't want to hear as long as it relates to me and me alone.

But when you bring entire groups of people into it, people who have not done anything wrong or deserve that kind of crass and insensitive, hurtful words then that's were a line is crossed and that's when I get angry.

What Girls Said 6

• Disrespected like they think I'm stupid. Because the only time that I don't want to hear something, is if I already know it.

• I'm usually hurt or disappointed but I realize that I'm looking for advice bc I clearly don't have the answers or maybe bc I'm looking for someone to reassure me that it's not what I think it is. When I don't get the reassurance I'm looking for then it's time to reevaluate reality and decide how to procceed

• Disappointed?
    If it's just really bad news I didn't see coming and can't do anything about, probably depressed...

• a little bit of dread.

• I get defensive and sometimes lash out because the truth hurts. It's hard not to take it personally

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 2

• Depends, is it accurate? Then I accept it, me pretending otherwise won't change that fact and denying it will only cause more problems so I generally bite the bullet and try and just accept it.

• if i am looking for advice i will be open to all advice, there will nothing i dont want to hear.