Do ladies care about their handshake?

shook a guy's hand the other day who shook hands like a girl... ironically it's been awhile since i've had a handshake from a lady that left a bad taste in my mouth... ----- u go girls!

however, some of the worst handshakes i've gotten over the years have been from ladies. makes me wonder why if they care about their handshake --- so

do you?

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol I notice this too. I don't know if men are just trying to "match my strength", but they give me floppy goldfish handshakes. It's so weird. I'm still firm and tight with my grip and it takes some of them by surprise.

• They might be as i do this sometimes.

• The upper end of that 130 isn't super skinny considering your height though.
      I'm 6'1 and around 160-165 lb and according to some people I look heaver than i am so yes i'd probably be careful.

• @sedrftvgyhujik well don't worry, I'm not made of glass ;)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm male but aye -- took me a while to learn since I'm from Japan originally and we did more bowing than handshaking, but I learned to shake with a good, firm, confident grip and to throw out my hand whenever I meet someone.

Prefer Robot Jox thumbs-up fist pump though:
    65.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwp6grNac81qa118n.jpg

What Girls Said 34

• A few years ago I had a horrible skin condition around my hands. They were all cut up, my skin was thin and red, and they felt crispy to the touch. It was completely disgusting, and as an 8th grader I was very self conscious about it. I wore large sweaters that covered my hands, and I avoided touching people directly. A teacher saw me writing one day while waiting for my bus, and it turned out that she was the librarian. She babbled on about how happy she was to see a young student writing for the fun of it, and she tried to shake my hand. I sort of recoiled, so she ended up just holding my finger tips. She looked me in the eye, reached into the jacket sleeve, and held my hand firmly until I took hers the same way. I remember her advising me that a handshake was the first impression a person would get about your personality, so you should always shake with a solid, firm grip. Since that day, I've always made sure to do exactly that.

• My dad always told me to give a firm handshake so I'm always super conscious about having a tight, firm but not overwhelming grip when I shake someone's hand.

• mystery solved! with no fathers around, daughters never learn to shake hands properly lol.

• I don't care aboout my handshake. (I don't think it too soft though) I know a girl who crushed my hand twice and laughed both time when I made a face at her :o I now avoid shaking her hand when I see her.

s3.amazonaws.com/.../bone.png

• My handshake's firm, but it's not uncommon for guys to grip my hand loosely for some reason, especially outside of work. It's a little annoying.

• Yes.

My grandfather taught me that you can't trust a man with a weak handshake.

& Before you ask, mine is firm.

• No. Technically, however the girl holds out her hand, a man is supposed to match, so if her grip is firm, yours should be firm but if it's all weak and 'damsel in distressy', then you need to have a looser grip.

That's the basic etiquette when it comes to handshakes, anyway. I don't think anyone really cares though. I don't.

• Oh I absolutely do care and I expect a firm handshake from ANYONE, not just men. I will admit that it's more acceptable if I get that limp handshake from a female vs a male. If a guy gives me a limp handshake, I'll never forget it and it'll definitely make a bad first impression

You can imagine what my handshakes are like if I feel this way...

• What bad impression does it make?

• i mean... other than the shitty handshake was he a good guy? just seems pretty shallow to judge an entire person based on that

• @Toad-1 nah doesn't mean they're a shotty person at all. Just a bad handshaker!

• lol no, i dont ever think of that.

• I was taught to care about my handshake and am conscious of it while doing so. That was something pushed onto us in my business law class in high school.

• Not at all. He is lucky I'm touching him at all.

• Firm handshake. I Try be professional... make a confident impression.

• I care about my handshake and I care about other peoples handshakes. If a guy shakes my hand and it feels like gripping jello then I immediately assume he is insecure and definitely not a leader or a strong type. A handshake should be firm and tight without hurting of course.

• most girls here doesn't. i do though. i hate people who doesn't give a firm handshake, it kind of shows theyre not pleased to meet you or just I don't know i just hate it.

• I do, who the hell wants to shake hands with a limp noodle?

"Firmly grasp it!"
    -Patrick Star

• i just don't want to perform that action.
    if i MUST i just hope that my hand isn't crushed.

• I do. I try to make it firm without squeezing. Sometimes it feels like holding a dead fish when you give a girl a handshake

• I've been known to crush guy's hands with handshaking them! lol

• best to match the other persons firmness when shaking hands

• my hand shake is solid.

• some girls do shake like they are picking up someone else dirty underwear though lol thats annoying.

• hahah. good way to describe it.

• i mean its not like im guna try to overpower you lol i worry about eye contact more than the strength of my hand shake. eye contact is very important for me.

• Yes, I care.
    One of the first impressions you can make, better make it good.

• I do. I took many marketing classes. I. Those classes we always learned how to interview. Each of my teachers stressed the importance of handshaking. It's your first impression. I have noticed many men ( even in the military) shake my hand lightly (I'm 5 3 and 115 lbs). I hate that I have the better and shake and that they feel they need to take it easy on me

• I don't care, but I've been told many many times my handshake is very weak. I barely grab the persons hand. Just how I've always done it, I don't even think to be firm about it.

• yes. i try to keep it strong because that's how my dad would do it.

• I hate hand shaking. It's too formal

• No lol

• I hate handshakes so I don't even try. I just put my hand in their hand and wait for them to stop shaking a limp hand.

• I do because I want to seem professional

• Not very

• I don't like handshakes so I try to slip out of them as quick as possible.

• I was always taught to have a firm handshake to be taken seriously and if someone doesn't have a firm handshake they're not to be taken seriously because it seems like they're hesitant. I don't know why but when I went to France everyone who shook my hand had what I would say was a girly handshake. I shook a mans hand who I was staying with and he laughed and said "you have an American handshake!" I'll be honest his handshake was firm but boarderline loose. I felt ridiculous from him saying that because I'm so used to firm handshakes and serious first impressions so it took a while to get used to it. So yes, I care about handshakes.

• More from Girls
    4

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 8

• Am I supposed to keep a firm grip when shaking hands with the other gender? I usually don't shake a women's hand because of religious reasons but when a lady extends her hand out I usually loosely grip her hand because I'm not trying to squish em. Please advise.

• I remember the first girl I ever approached had a man's handshake. Very firm grip felt really unnatural since I'm used to girls not squeezing my hand like guys do.
    When it comes to the ladies, I think they should have a light handshake. I see it as a sign of femininity.

• I sort of hold my hand so it's more like an immovable object touching around there hand. That way I don't risk hurting them if there a lot more frail than I thought but they can still tell my grip is very powerful.

• comps.canstockphoto.com/...ck-photo_csp6074875.jpg

This is how you shake hands with girls.

• we dont do that here, we kiss them on the cheek to say hi or goodbye.

• hate men who give handshakes like a girl.

• Lmao do goblins?

• You'd think with all those hand jobs girls would be able to give firm handshakes