What makes the term "Wifey" so popular?

I have been hearing the term going around a lot lately and I am just wondering

Most Helpful Guy

• Instead of the guys just saying wife they turn it into wifey making it sound cute, kind of like a pet name.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 16

• I think people just find it playful. Same with hubby. I think it's kind of cute when girls refer to their husbands as hubby. It's cheeky, playful, and it kind of implies they like each other if they are essentially using goofy names for each other.

• What is that term? this is the first time I am hearing this term

• "The Old Battleaxe" isn't as flattering.

• It just sounds cuter and less dull/official than wife.

• It's just one of those words that trends with people.

• I never heard that anymore... Lol it's babe or bae or wife/hubby.

• Cause most guys prefer to say that instead of hubby.

• its kinda cute word. just like hubby

• It's not a new/recent term. It's been in lyrics since the 90s. It's just a slang way of talking.

• It seems to have made a popular come back though :)

• I just haven't noticed it that much, sorry. Personally I thought it was used a lot more back when I was in highschool but I guess I was just around more people he used slang more regularly back then.

If you want an honest opinion, I think you can blame it on Drake, little Wayne, Young Thug, and similar artists. They're very popular now, and people (especially teens and young adult) typically pull out snippets from mainstream music and media and incorporate them into their day-to-day vernacular. They hear Wayne on a track say he'll make someone his wifey or Drake say a woman is "wifey material", and they copy it and use it because they see those people as cool, and by imitating them, they'll be cool as well.

But that's just a guess.

• I think you might have a very good guess there

• As this is antonyms of word hubby. Female called their husband hubby so husband want to counter it so they made word called wifey.

• My second ex-girlfriend is using the term. I have no idea why some use it.

• Probably cause some douchebag said it and now all the other ones caught on

• Hip Hop Culture and rappers.

• It's just something different. Catchy.

• I think it's dumb myself lol

Just 21rst century slang

• It's a catchy way to say it, and it's trending

What Girls Said 16

• I have Only seen Girls on Gag use this "Wifey" here, dear, and I do believe they are Bi with Girl and Guy, maybe even just Gay.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• Its like calling someone "wife material" like, if a girl were to do something like cook a fine ass meal someone would say "I wanna make her my wife!" cause it's traditionally known that wives make dinner ^_^ There are other examples but thats most common from what I've seen.

• i have no idea. i hate it.

• Don't know but my hubby better not use it, I don't use hubby either. He's my Husband. He's my Guy. He's my Best Friend. He's my Lover!

• I don't like it..

• I don't know, but I dislike it as much as "hubby" lol.

• its just a word

• I don't know... But I don't like it. It's too "cutesy" for my liking and makes me cringe and feel like barfing. Same with the term hubby... Yuck!

• that was so 2001 ...

• It's been around since the 60's and 70's. I don't worry about it because I'm not "wifey" material.

• It is just supposed to be a cute little term like hubby for husband.

• I am wifey material 😛😛

• God I hate when people say that. It's like nails on a chalkboard. So dumb.

• Who knows. There's always going to be these dumb trends that make no sense at all.

• lol I don't know. I hate thet term

• I'm not wifey material do I don't know what it means Lol.