Why are old people so rude? How do you deal with them?

I was at the store and I was driving my truck and I accidently hit the car behind me. The old man just completly cussed me out, yelled at me, and threatened me. I gave him my insurance info and my drivers license but I didn't get to take pics because I was really mad and about to cry Lol. The scratch on the other car is the size of my thumb. how do you deal with old people who are really rude and disrespectful? My parents tuaght me to respect my elders and act like a lady but I don't know sometimes they take it too far

Okay I meant to ask why are some old people so rude... I get it some are really sweet.

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a Private Opinion
    Only the asker and the opinion owner can view it. Learn more

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 14

• When someone screams at you, this person try to make you feel guilty or bad about yourself. In fact, i don't think you need, you can do it already quite well just by yourself when you know you did a mistake.

That being said, if someone is disrespectful to you, don't get into the dispute, stay calm and ask for the person to be respectful. don't let yourself impress by those words. Shit happen to every one of us and i did some bad moves too already.

Don't make yourself feel as a victim, keep yourself calm and straight up in front of the disrespectful person. let him / her throw it out and let it pass around you. one day, the person will stop and you'll be able to discuss maybe. if not, well, there is nothing you can do.

Remember that you cannot change the world, you can only change the way to react with it.

Love, peace, happiness, hugs and cuddles :-)

• Say things like "I'm a Muslim and I'm gonna have my brother snip off your head!" Or, "Wow, how old are you anyway? Do you remember when they first started making wheels?" Have fun with people like that! Life's too short!

• Old people have no exclusive franchise on rudeness. If I asked you how I should deal with all the rude young people, what would you think?

• Lol I would have acted differently if it was someone my age... I don't know I just felt really bad

• Gee, why so rude? ; - )

• Well, some old folks have had a lifetime of getting dumped on and never getting ahead and they get bitter. It just happens gradually and they don't realize what miserable SOB's they have become. That does not excuse someone - at any age - for being rude. Just remember not to judge all old folks be the behavior of a few, just as you would not want me to judge young people by the actions of a few.

• it's just his personality reacting to an accident. some people would get mad and some won't. me i wouldn't get mad i would only get mad if someone hits me and injures me from driving reckless. you should focus more on wondering how to avoid hitting a car next time so you can gain experience

• I've been driving for a long time and this was the first time it's happened. I will take this as a learning experience

• I deal with them by waiting for them to die

• are we?

• You fucking hit a car you expect him to be happy? 😂 if I broke your nail you would be angry young lady 😛

• well can't really say that he was a rude person, because maybe hitting his car made him angry

• They're already on the verge of death so it doesn't matter just ignore him. I'm sure his chest was hurting after all that cussing :-)

• I dont give a shit if someone is old or not, if you dont show respect u will get what u deserve ;)

• Ageism is a sign of weak-mindedness and intolerance.
    But you shouldn't have been cussed out, Or probably driving in the first place :/

• But what did I do? :(((((

• As a man its easy to speak up and control the situation. So I don't know, that sucks.

• Old people: ARRGHHHH YOUNG PEOPLE ARE SUCHA WRECKLESS SHITTY DRIVERS

Young people: Wow! Why are old people so rude!!. ?

Moral of the story. STOP GENERALISING. That's probably just him as an Angry person. Ticked off by by being hit

• I always run into old rude people... Lmao not literally. It seems like most of them are grouchy. Ill open the door or help them with something and they are rude.

What Girls Said 14

• Some of them are jealous with the younger generation and their bitter about their life because of things they regretted when they were younger. A lot them have experienced so much trauma in their lives, nobody hardly wants to be around them. Then you people who are just rude to elderly people in general, to the point the old can't handle life anymore. Their miserable. But there are some that isn't that way by choice. And you have to remember that a lot of them a very lonely. They don't have much family, let alone somebody who cares about them or truly loves them. Some families even go about abandoning them when they feel that their a burden. You have to be in their shoes. Be nice to them even when they're mean to you. Don't pity them. Show them kindness, that's all they really want. Somebody to love them and understand them. Many are in pain and are forever alone on this earth. Do you or anybody else want to live like that to the point your about to die at any given day? Life is too short for bitterness.

• That's awful.. Some older people can be pretty cranky and you feel bad being rude back because, well they're old! Who knows what this mans life has been like. Whenever someone lashes out at me I try not to take it personally ESPECIALLY if I don't know them because they know nothing about you and you know nothing about them. I know it's hard and it sucks when people are assholes but just don't let it bother you too much

• Im sorry i will give you as much respect as you deserve. but im not letting some old mf cuss me out just bc they're old. i will treat you like you're 18. you are not MY elder, ain't like you're my grandpa you're just some random old man that i dont care about

• Lol I've had something similar happen. I was driving through a parking lot and some old geezer and his wife were turning into the parking lot and i guess i must've cut them off cuz he literally followed me, got out of his big black gas-guzzling jeep, walked up to my car and started yelling at me through my closed window. It was somewhat of a traumatic experience to say the least.

I think cause they've been there, done that, they feel entitled. Or they feel bitter or regretful or they forgot to take their meds and will take it out on you

• He got in my face and started yelling... while I was just standing there giving him my info. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to stand up for myself but I thought about being rude and what if I gave him a heart attack and he died because of me Lol I couldn't live with the guilt

• Lol oh well. If its their time to go...

• There are some people like that whether their old or not I try to remain calm be bigger person. My parents always told me to respect my elders I don't exactly believe that tho I respect those who respect me like at first I'll show respect but if your gonna be disresptful towards me don't expect me to still have respect for you.

• Once you figure this out, let me know. My grandmother is a rude, old lady. Hah.

• Don't take it personally. Maybe his wife just died and he was in a bad mood and needed to take it out on someone

• You don't. Simple. I wouldn't have given him shit if he was cussing me out. I would've called the police and gave my information to THEM, not him, since he wants to be asshole.

• This was the first time I hit a car and I thought about calling the cops but I don't know I didn't want to make a scene. If it was someone younger I would have said something but I felt guilty because he was kind of old.

• You usually don't need to call the police, only the insurance companies if it wasn't a bad accident. But his behavior warranted a call to police if only to drag the process out longer and let him know that you can't talk to you like that.

• You kill them with kindness and only defend yourself when I comes to that point.

• Entitlement.

• Omg can't stand them.

• I open the way so they can pass without hurting me lol

• Maybe he was having a bad day, and you made it worse. I would be a little agitated too if a random girl who can't drive struck my car.

• I can drive but it was an accident... why do you even awnser if you're going to be an ass?

• Well, in the real world, not everyone is as understanding as you want them to be. Every person has different background, personality, etc. If they are mean, that is their problem. Not yours. It only becomes your problem when you allow it to get to you.

• Okay okay... sheesh please don't comment anymore.. I don't like talking to you.

• when I visited my grandpa at assisted living and nursing home all the old people are really sweet and nobody visits them