Which species do you think will dominate the earth once humans die out?

After Dinosaurs and Humans, which species do you think will be next?

• CockroachesWhich species do you think will dominate the earth once humans die out?
  • SquidsWhich species do you think will dominate the earth once humans die out?
  • DolphinsWhich species do you think will dominate the earth once humans die out?
  • ElephantsWhich species do you think will dominate the earth once humans die out?
  • BacteriaWhich species do you think will dominate the earth once humans die out?
  • Other Species
  • No other creature will dominate the earth after humans

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I won't count machines as they're not a "species" nor aliens as their existence is not proven.

I choose trees. Since they give us oxygen, medicines, store carbon, stabilise the soil, protect ozone layer and give life to the world's wildlife. They are the real MVP. So underrated. But I think you want an answer related to fauna, not flora.

The possible species I can think of are :-

Octopuses are dexterous and intelligent. They could create a language using gestures and changing colors fostering their evolution. Using hands, they'd create tools in future. But, they can't live outside of the water and can't use fire. If all glaciers melted and the land is covered by water killing all terrestrial animals, they have a chance but not quite much.

Water Bears can survive in goddamned space! What if the whole Earth exploded or absorbed by sun and they managed to make it to space and find another planet. But the probability is lesser than my grandma getting six pack abs.

Crows can make tools using wires and leaves. What if they'll be creating missiles the time we all be dead? And they have some sort of language too. But seriously, they don't have hands and they are scared of scarecrows. They also like money (shiny things) like us which will kill them.

Cockroaches have been around since before the dinosaurs. They breed rapidly. A female can produce upwards of 300 to 400 offspring in her lifetime, and offspring mature in three to four months. A decapitated cockroach can live for a week until it starves to death so, they can share their brain to preserve their technology too. But they do nothing beyond eating, crapping, and making more roaches. If they had to dominate, they'd have done it before us.

Ant are underground rulers. There are many more ants than there are humans and their biomass is greater than humans. They work together and their military swarms and could kill anyone. They have strength and could create forts. Super dangerous.

Rats are hardy, tenacious and ubiquitous. They can learn easily and are social animals. They can resist various infections and spread it among other animals too. The chances are high. Runner-up!

The winner is bacteria. Who says the world is dominated by humans? Bacteria was and always will rule the world. Much of our own weight is bacterial and they are keeping US alive. What if they were just using us for technological development?
    izquotes.com/.../...re-martin-h-fischer-288876.jpg

• Even tho Chimpanzee and Gorilla are the smartest and most similar to us, I didn't count them because they are already struggling to survive as only a few thousands are left on the Earth, let alone the dreams to dominate Earth.

Thanks for A2A!

What Girls Said 30

• Highly doubtful that anything that will take our place considering that for most of earth's history, we never had a dominant species to begin with.

I'll define a "dominant species" as a species that achieves most superiority over terrestrial ecosystems all across the globe.

Also, you're listing organisms that belong to different, varied categories - elephants and cockroaches belong to a subgroup of 'family' in the taxonomic rank, while bacteria belongs to a larger branch coined as 'kingdom'. None of which are species of organisms themselves. So, while I would give it to bacteria for being the most successful organism across the globe, they are certainly not the most dominant species.

That said, you wouldn't be able to predict if a species ever becomes dominant as it is likely for the next dominant species (if there will be one) will be an entirely new species that descended from our modern animals.
    But within the bounds of your hypothetical, the most likely dominant species, however, would most likely be a kind of animal that descended from modern apes (that is, an organism that achieves intelligence resembling humans).

Source: Me, bc I'm an awesome bio major! <3

• Machines will inhabit the earth after we die out. If you think about it they're probably going to make robots and things that can function as humans eventually.

• that reminds me of the trailer of horizon zero dawn xD

• @Heera I honestly didn't think about that! I was honestly thinking of a mix of I robot and wall-e lol

• 0|0
  • Well, we're a virus, so other viruses?

• The viruses... but some don't consider them alive. Ok, the bacteria. Probably the oceanic species will evolve to go onto land over time and things will go in a sort of cycle.

• Well there are billions and billions of bacteria around so that seems like the logical answer to your question. But it'd be interesting to see cockroaches ruling the earth! They're creepy looking blobs of moving browness LOL

• Bacteria

• Bacteria always dominated the world since their creation. But if the earth heats up again (which it will anyway when the ice age period stops), reptiles and insects will take over. Mammals can only live in a cold world (as we have now)

• I'd like dolphins but it's probably gonna be cockroaches or bacteria

• i say bacteria

• Bacteria.

• I think it would be some kind of apes just like us. But Dolphins are pretty smart so I voted for them

• Bugs will thrive when the world is rid of pesticides. Cockroaches will always be among them.

• My guess would be bacteria?

• Bacteria

• I don't think there will be a dominating species anymore, everything will live in harmony. When humans go extinct earth will be a peaceful place

• I think bacteria it's ruling since today
    Everyone can see what diseases they are causing and almost destroying us

• Bacteria maybe?

• hmm I'm going with bacteria because it lives everywhere

• Whichever species is more dangerous and more intelligent (not necessarily more intelligent and dangerous than humans, but since we are out of the way, they would have to be smarter than the animals they are competing against).

• I don't know lol.
    I like dolphins though : )

• Unicorns

• Alien space cabbages. Obviously.

• Bacteria..

• voting for the bacteria

• Dolphins, they are the second smartest creatures on earth, after white mice of course.

• Giraffes are underrated, I think it will be them.

• cockroaches are real g's. always surviving shit.

• Crab people.

• Cats!

What Guys Said 24

• What I want to know is...

If there are no humans around, who will enjoy the kitty cat's purr? Come on now. Somebody has to enjoy the kitty cat's purr or it goes to waste.

I know that doesn't answer the question, but still... are squids going to enjoy the kitty cat's purr? Nope. Are cockroaches going to enjoy the kitty cat's purr? Nope?

Will elephants enjoy the kitty cat's purr? Actually, they probably will. So I think kitty cats and elephants will survive, just because...

• Cockroaches are the strongest of all.

www.topbest.ph/.../cockroaches-2.jpg

• This is a very good question actually. Very tough to answer.

• I don't think that there's any current species that could become sapient. They either lack the brain power, or the necessary ability for tool manipulation, or live in the wrong environment (dolphins and orcas)

• you don't think dolphins could gain legs over a long time?

• "Legs would be counterproductive to being dolphins, "
      Early whales and dolphins had legs
      www.amnh.org/.../...alking-whale-model-extreme.jpg

• @Waffles731 And they were going back into the water, not the other way around. They also weren't ocean-going.

The reason humans are the way they are is so our ape ancestors could stand on their hind legs to see over the tops of the grass. Over time this allowed the digits on our hands to become more delicate, since they weren't needed for locomotion as much, and capable of manipulating complex tools. The big toe becoming an opposable thumb was crucial, and a larger animal like that Ambulocetus would have a long way to go before it was able to stand on its hind legs.

• Bacteria perhaps. I think if the planet becomes inhabitable for humans it will be for everything else as well. I'm sure bacteria will always exist though.

• I am slightly optimistic. I think AI will be next to dominate the earth.

• There will probably be nothing lert once we die out.

• No creature has the abilities to dominate earth.

• ok... replace that word with, ascends to the top of the food chain

• Hmm well, bacteria lives everywhere, so technically they will be more "dominant", but not all bacteria kills, and there's millions if types if bacteria.
      Cockroaches will never be on top cause they're basically food for others.
      Only a carnivore will be able to become the number one of the food chain, but as far as I know there's no carnivore that lives in every environment possible, and who us capable of killing any animal.

So in my opinion, there won't be one species that will ascend to the top of the chain. Things will stay the same as now, but without us, without the tip of the pyramid.

• Dolphins, because I recognize that screen shot from The Simpsons.

• Actually once we humans completely abandon Earth to colonize other planets and save our species whatever species takes over won't have it for long, cuz we sorta depleted it of lots of useful things

• 0|0
  • I would say some just dominant in their certain area, like lions in African grasslands, sharks in the seas and eagles in the sky. But the rule of nature limits the growth of their numbers too, even if sitting at the top of the food chain.

there would be no species that rule the whole earth, they get along with each others, this is how ecosystem works before human dominate.

• Crab People will rule the Earth, the true superior race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykWPyaqbebo

• Octopuses, given their inteligence and ability to use tools, combined with somewhat useful arms they have the most potential after humans and apes.

• If I was a dinosaur, id be flexausaurus

• Most likely apes or probably lions.

• Draco Reptilian

• Dolphins. They're proven to be smart. And water is the majority that makes up this planet.

• Satan and the damned

• Lizard men. Though this could be mankinds tenth attempt at civilisation for all we know.

• We killed the planet, good luck! Lol.

• Cats

• I doubt anything else after we fucked of the planet as bad as we are