Ok my question is about alcohol?

Ok my  question is about alcohol?my dad was an alcoholic my mom and my grandfather are both alcoholics when I'm older would like to go out and get a drink with my friends
But my family's track record with it has me worried that if i drink I will become an alcoholic. So what do you think will I be ok to have a drink with my friends when I'm older
Or will I become reliant on it like my family?

Most Helpful Guy

• You need to know that you have a family history, which you obviously do, but you also need to be careful, yourself, when you drink. There are some studies that say there is a 'drinking predisposition' kind of gene, and other say BS!!
    Ultimately, you have to choose, and be responsible, and watch out for yourself.
    There are some that are 'addicts' and they drink, and can't really control themselves.
    Others, maybe drink too much, sometimes, but don't do stupid sht, or get in trouble, or mess up their lives.
    Only you can decide if you are an 'Addict' and need help, if you choose to drink, or maybe you just drink and you are not an 'Addict'. Only you can decide, because you know what you think, and feel!! If you feel a NEED to drink, you should probably get some help, in a program.
    As you are WELL below the legal drinking age in many places, I would say to stay away from it, until you are legal age, where you are.

Most Helpful Girl

• You will not be reliant on it if you drink it with moderation.

What Guys Said 18

• Your fine to have a drink every blue moon. Just don't make it a habit. When times get hard when your older just remember that your answer is not at the bottom of a bottle. You do have a high chance to become an alcoholic just limit your use and don't use it regularly.

• I do tell myself that and never plans to dink when I'm sad or anything but my family's record scars me especially since when my dad used to drink he got stupid when my mom drinks she gets I'm going to yell and scream at you and so does my grandpa and I don't want to be like that

• You don't have to when your mad at someone you will yell at them like your parents yelled at you.

• I don't really yell I'm more grunting lol

• If you are overly concerned then take no chances what so ever. How much control you have is really on you to decide. Such as limit how much you are willing to consume to avoid being completely drunk. Such as around maybe 1 to 2 bottles of beer. Or 2 to 4 shots of some hard liquor. After that you keep in mind, it's an absolute NOPE that you won't drink ANY more and run the risk of becoming drunk and dependent upon alcohol. Typically alcoholics keep drinking to get drunk and stay as drunk as possible because they have underlying unhappiness and other emotional and internal issues that are unresolved or cannot be resolved otherwise and thus they become dependent upon it to either give them comfort or to help them ignore those miseries as much as possible and not focus and think about them. Happens for pretty much all forms of addictions, not just alcohol.

• Look at what's its done to them and learn from it. U can drink but control it. Never turn to alcohol if your ever down about something.

• My father was an alcoholic, as was his father. My mother worried that I would be. One can be genetically "pre-disposed" to be an alcoholic. That does not mean that you would be, but that it would be very easy for you to become one. I did not, but that may be because I was so disgusted by my father's examples. Be careful and use moderation.

• Since you know your parents are easily susceptible to becoming alcoholics, be careful when you drink and watch yourself closely so you don't get drunk :-)

• Honestly I think it's used more as a crutch, when I drink I'm aware of whats going on and I can say, alright I don't want a hangover or I just want a decent buzz. I can also go balls to the wall and drink everything in sight, which might happen once a year or two.

• Alcohol plain tastes like crap. Your calories would be much better spent on a full meal with a nice Coke. Sorry if that's not too helpful, but it's my honest opinion. There's no longer a sanitary reason to choose alcohol and the stuff plain doesn't taste that good. Best case if you aren't hiding the flavor under other ingredients, it tastes like wheat juice.

• It is all on you

My dad was a very bad alcoholic, after my mothers untimely death chose to drink himself to death

I have always drank, more a binge drinker rather than an alcoholic

But, my sister never goes near it

• you dont need to become like your family. you have to keep one thing in mind that you can be different as compared to you from your family.

• Honeslty I very much understand that issue
    I avoijd alcohol totally
    For that reason and that i don't like the culture
    It makes me uncomfortable
    Nothing about it is positive to me

• Um it's pretty

• I'm just saying
      If I were you I wouldn't
      I'm not a partying type anyway

• And I know the pressures get hard
      If you ever have to vent

• Dont feel like you have to drink alcohol to go out with your friends
    If they judge you for not drinking they are crazy and bot real freinds

• Drinking is generally bad for any human being. Don't drink and live longer, better looking, healthier and happier.

• no you won't

• Substance abuse CAN be genetic. It IS a disease. It is an allergy to substances that causes a craving. It is based on brain chemistry.

You are at a higher risk. Still, this does not definitely mean you will follow that pattern.

• Most people who become alcoholics, only drink when they're sad/depressed/mad. The best time to drink is to celebrate. Alcohol feels good, but, should not be what makes you feel better about yourself

3 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 0