How long would it have taken for him to die?

I found out I person I knew of committed suicide by jumping of a small cliff into the river and strapped weights to him so he drowned. How long would that have taken?

Horrible I know.

Most Helpful Guy

• Unconsciousness would take a couple minutes, death would occur in about 4 minutes.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on a bunch of other factors.

What Guys Said 6

• It takes ~10 minutes to inflict damage to brain without oxygen. Some cases had 30 minutes without oxygen and patient was recovered, but with slight brain damage.
    So... I assume ~20-30 minutes.

• If he didn't lose consciousness from the impact it would have taken something like 1-2 minutes for him to pass out underwater, max 5 minutes if he was a very experienced diver, but that's very exceptional. Death would take longer but he wouldn't feel a thing after passing out.

• I think most people who drown are trying to survive, so they fight it. But if he really wanted to die and just went under and took a deep breath, he would have passed out in seconds. It would have still taken him some time to die, but he would not have been conscious for it.

• Not long... less than 2 min maybe

• slow, scary, painful process. worst way to die

• Ironic way to do it. How can you give yourself the worst death possible when you are such a coward?

• Committing suicide isn't cowardly. The only people who say this are those who can't accept that we are all responsible for our own lives. It's my life, so it's my freedom to do with it what I please. Committing suicide might not be the optimal decision but that doesn't make it a cowardly decision.

• "That doesn't mean the latter are weak people"

Indeed, it simply means they forgot to go to therapy.

• @asker: I hope so for you to and wish you all the best of luck :-)
      @opinion owner: Therapy doesn't always help and it doesn't help everyone to the same degree. You see, my mom happens to be a psychologist/therapist and thus I know that therapists are also just people. They're not magicians. There are people who experience headaches, go to the doctor and get cured. However, there are other people who experience migraines for years, try a hundred different doctors and still struggle with their headaches. Like physical doctors too, therapists can't help everyone (or at least they can't cure everyone).

What Girls Said 1

• If he didn't pass out 1-5 minutes to pass out, then I believe it's 6-8 minutes in fresh water.