How can I make my laptop more sufficient for gaming?

I have an HP Pavilion 17 laptop. Ik it's more of a casual, all-purpose laptop, and it wasn't really designed for gaming...

However, I was wondering if there was anything I could do to alter it, that would allow it to perform better when I try to run games on it. Or if there was anyway I could reduce lag for online video games.

Extra details (in case they are needed): Windows version 8.1, 4GB of installed RAM, and 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.

What Girls Said 3

• i pulled the specs of your laptop from the net..
    specs:
    2.5GHz up to 3.5GHz AMD Quad-Core A10-5750M Accelerated Processor
    4MB L2, 1866MHz DDR3
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    AMD Radeon HD 8650G graphics with up to 4206MB total graphics memory
    750GB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
    1x1 802.11b/g/n WLAN
    65W AC adapter
    6-cell 47WHr 2.2 Ah lithium-ion battery

ok so.. your laptop will need an expensive overhaul have it work as a decent gaming laptop, lets start with hardware..

is processor is an AMD Quad Core 5750M, this processor is decent but it isn't the best, i would suggest getting a 5th generation Intel core I7 6700K 4.8Ghz Processor, make sure it is configured for the 4MB L2 DDR3 package that you have

then swap your ram cards with 2 - 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 Highspeed ram cards, this will really help your processor output and help cool better since it has an integrated heatsink

if the graphics cards are integrated to the motherboard you can't swap it, and since i have never seen the belly of your laptop i can't help you with that, you need to see a laptop rig builder to help you with it

replace your hard-drive with a 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Hard-drive so that it can perform better, if you can try to get a SDD with a high capacity instead, but its very rare to get one just stick with this HDD

everything else is fine, now for the software..

firstly you'll need to upgrade to windows 10, performing a clean reinstallation would be best, format everything, then get a professional to get a hold of your pc and have it overclocked safely with MSI Afterburner, then install Razer Cortex Game Booster and AVG PC tuneup, then search in your task manager or task scheduler for a system program called Superfetch and Prefetch, disable both of these or msconfig or cmd or regedit, then Defrag and disk cleanup your entire hard-drive, and update all of your drivers including your videocard drivers, then buy a cooling pad for your laptop because chances are its temp is gonna skyrocket to 80-90 degrees celcius, keeping it in a very well airconditioned room will help, and if you dont cool it chances are it'll either explode or its capacitor banks will start popping

good luck :D
    in my opinion i think its better just to get a desktop rig :)

• sry the processor i mentioned is a 6th generation, not a 5th generation

• Lenovo Y700 is the successor to the Lenovo Y510p which resolves issues caused by the previous generation, you can buy it with a 14 inch screen, a 15.6 inch screen and a 18 inch screen for varying prices, it sports a fairly new nvidia 960M DDR5 graphics card and has a very powerful Dolby Aero JBL speaker home theater set and an innovative new cooling system, its battery is rated to run an average of 4 hours in full charge at power saving mode at 60W and gaming mode at 700-750W, its price is between 699 - to 979 USD depending on the model

• Thanks, that helped a lot!

• Update the drive, connect two screen together and a TV

• HP Pavilion? Hah... You can't. I am only saying that due to personal experience.

• I was afraid of that... :(

Well, good thing it was a gift. It would've been worse if I used my own money. I may just but another one myself, so do you have any suggestions for a fairly priced gaming laptop? It doesn't have to be top of the line like AlienWare, just something that will give me a smoother experience with reduced lag.

• I was actually going to suggest AlienWare or Razerblade Pro.

What Guys Said 0