Have you ever felt attracted to someone's online persona?

I know it sounds like the weirdest thing, but it happened to me when I was younger (16-17). I was part of a forum online, a little like this site with questions and answers, and I actually had a huge crush on a couple of the male users just by the way they wrote and what their online persona was like. They didn't even have pictures or anything, and I'd like stalk their answers lol, and get excited when they'd write me comments. I still don't really understand why, or what exactly was so compelling about them.

I wonder if it was because I hadn't had much real world experiences with dating and relationships yet, and I was just more naive in general. Because now, even though I'm interested in what certain people have to say, I don't have crushes like that.

Anyway. Has this ever happened to you, or am I alone? 😅

• Oh yeah, for sure.
  • Nope, not really.
  • Hmm kinda
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that's normal. If someone voices their opinions and they are just like yours, or they're saying things you've always felt but never put into words, it can't help but resonate with you. You will feel like you're on the same wavelength as them, that there's some kind of spirit connection. Of course most of it could be in your head.

Most Helpful Girl

• you probably enjoyed the way he spoke online, how he answered questions, etc. I've answered this question before but I had a major crush on a guy on here WAYYY long time ago, I stalked his answers like crazy myself, he spoke like a book and it turned me on. Too bad he's in a relationship now :-(

What Guys Said 7

• I can't say I've felt that way on a website, but it could've been your mind making a fantasy or who or how they'd be in real life and because of the fact you liked how they typed and worded things it made you attracted to them in the only way you could be online. Maybe they made you feel like they actually understood you because they had your mindset and they thought so much like you that you could relate to them so well that you felt close enough to them to feel a connection. It's how I'd see it, when I see somebody with a similar mindset, specially of the opposite sex I'm automatically more attracted to them.

• You were after an idea that your mind made up, a fantasy. Because you were young, you didn't know how to separate the two, because they seemed one in the same.

When I was 14, MSN games were a hot ticket with active chat rooms. The girls had the pink text and I wanted to get a piece of that action. Then MySpace killed chat rooms, and Facebook/YouTube shat on Tom's face at the public square. He never recovered.

• I already figured out that most of those cleavage shots are phoney.

• I have so many crushes here lol

• In fact i belong to this website where it's so filled with fake accounts, you just belive it's fake until proven otherwise

• Yes everyone loves me

• Hmm kinda

What Girls Said 13

• Yeah, my own.

• Yes. Attracted but not infatuated. There was one guy who used to be on here that was very insightful and well-spoken.

• Being honest I think it was just your naïveté. When we were all younger we were swayed by romantic feelings and your specific guy gave you vibes. I don't think that would happen as you age

• Nah!

• Definitely

• Yea it's happening to me

• Yes and it fucking sucked, 0/10 I do not recommend. I wasted years of my life with that hahaha

• I did get crushes like that when I was 16. :p

But now I would have to actually talk to them for a while to have a crush but it doesn't last long.

• Yeah, long ago haha

• There has been a few yes.

• totally! How is an online perosna really that different from real life? people fake all the time.

• countless lol

• I had a relationship (sort of) with a man in a foreign country. We only talked via text (never even skyped). I fell in love with his words. But I did know what he looked like. I saw several pictures of him.