Guys, Would you NOT hire someone who was taller than you if you were the boss?

My friend who is 6'3 and works in the restaurant business, has a boss who is 6'5. One day they were having a conversation about hiring new employees when his boss told him that he doesn't hire guys who are taller than him, which given his own height, didn't tend to actually be a "problem" that came up that often. His boss said it was a power thing. He felt his height gave him the advantage of being seen as more powerful and in charge and he didn't want some guy whom he was trying to get in line looking down at him as he was trying to reprimand him. He told my friend that they'd had one guy come in to interview who was 6'6 or 6'7 and he flat out didn't hire him because of his height.

My friend told me he gets it, and so do I. I was a boss once and as a tall woman, I didn't stop hiring people because of their height, but I agree that being tall as a boss had major advantages because my fellow shorter female bosses were often not given the same amount of respect I was from both male and female employees. Watching them was literally almost like you could hear them thinking, who is this little kid trying to tell me what to do, and often times their instructions would be ignored. And now that I think about it, most if not all my bosses in my life have been tall.

What do you think?

• Yes, I agree with the boss
    17% (7)
  • No, I disagree with this
    83% (35)
And you are? I'm a GuyGirls can not vote on this poll

23

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's true which is stupid. I myself am 6'3 but yeah my bosses tend to "ask" me to do things where they will command some of my other co-workers.

What Guys Said 22

• WTF does height have to do with being able to do a job?
    Our 'Plant Manager' is a little 'Danny Devito' sized guy, with a Napoleon complex!! He is TOTALLY INCOMPETENT!!
    But that doesn't mean I think short people are incompetent!!
    What kind of ego complex does this guy have, and how small is he, that he needs to focus on height, and being the 'Biggest' to manage?
    Sounds like that guy needs to go to an HR class!!

• Being tall can really be a kind of natural intimidation. However, actions speak louder. Adolf Hitler and Napoleon Bonaparte weren't too tall and look at what they managed to do. Even though they aren't the greatest examples of morarity, it gives us a good idea of what having true power is.

That's a good, though terrifying point.

• It doesn't make sense to me as to why they wouldn't hire someone based on the fact that someone is taller than them. If that is proven to be discrimination then there potentially can be a lawsuit or something.

Just out of curiosity, I looked this up to see if someone really could file a lawsuit, but Michigan is the only state that explicitly prohibits height and weight discrimination. Plus in the case of my friend's boss, you would have to prove that the other candidates were less qualified than you and the only reason specifically that you weren't given the position was because of your height.

• Never seen short guy syndrome in someone tall, weird. It's nice to be the tallest person I guess but dude just sounds incredibly insecure. They say tall people get more promotions, dunno how true it is. Anyway if you're a boss thats all you should need, if you're that insecure with being a few inches shorter, you probably don't belong in a 'leadership' position in my opinion.

"if you're that insecure with being a few inches shorter, you probably don't belong in a 'leadership' position in my opinion" this sums it up nicely.

• Lol no that's stupid. Actually, I think I think bosses should be short. In cartoons, the boss is always short and his big dumb goons are tall.

• His boss is an asshole, straight up!

• The boss is insecure which is why he feels that way. That's also part of what's led him to achieve in his career.

When I was a supervisor over a couple of teams I hired someone a good 4-5 inches taller than me. He also became one of my best friends and was a groomsman at my wedding.

I'd love to see the NBA team that "boss" would put together...

• I'll never understand what height has to do with being able to do a job (outside of athletics and being a flight attendant). Being able to do the job and being qualified is all that is needed.

• Tbh I agree with the idea of not being respected if your employee's a tall person... if ur a loser with size issues. I'd never discriminate against anyone because of their height, just like I wouldn't discriminate against other unchangeable factors like gender or race.

• I am the boss. I do not care how tall you are. Are you qualified? That's all I care. Male female gay man woman tall shot. Are you qualified is all I care!

I'm 100% certain he hires quality workers because he runs a tight ship, but as long as you're a shorter quality worker apparently. I guess in his mind if he has 5 candidates, and of the 5, 2 are the only ones qualified, but one is taller than him, he's going with the shorter one. In the long run, I'm not sure it matters because his argument would be that he still hires quality workers, and who could argue with that. It would be a huge problem if he just based his hiring on the fact that someone was shorter, but it's his restaurant, so in terms of his wallet, that would only hurt him, not help him.

I've never really paid attention to if my drivers are taller. I think most are!

• One day soon I'll have my own law firm. I will hire candidates based on strictly merit and behavior. That is all

• I wouldn't not hire someone because of their height. But I see it the other way around. I'm not going to think someone is a star employee or superior to me just because they are tall.

• No, if I were in charge, I hire only those who are qualified.

• Height has nothing to do with it.

• This is absolute nonsense. That guy has some serious issues if he won't hire people that are taller than him. He should be more concerned on there work ethic.

• Lol the boss is an asshole.

• I don't need anyone !

• 8ft tall or gtfo right?

• I TOTALLY agree
    I won't bite a taller girl ever

• Stupid reason but makes sense in a weird way if he needs to feel more powerful , what would he do if a bodybuilder came in for a job but shorter than him which would be quite often being 6'5" but he wouldn't be more powerful than a bodybuilder

• Legitimate discrimination right here.

• thats a pretty shitty reason to not hire somebody