How does jail work for DWI's?

My friend recently got picked up for his 3rd DWI.
I feel sick to my stomach😩😩

Do people go to jail for that? I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this type of stuff.

3mo I forgot to mention he did have other charges... speeding and resisting an officer.

I agree with y'all what he did is dumb, but everyone does dumb shit sometimes.
I really miss my friend though😩

Most Helpful Guy

• Is he stupid or what? Anyone who gets three DUIs is an alcoholic, or well on their way. Anyone who's had two DUIs and still drives drunk is stupid as hell. That's how the judge is going to look at it. The judge will NOT go easy on him.

Where I live the third offense is mandatory 30 days in jail, no exceptions. It can be as long as a year. They will have their license suspended for at least a year, probably much longer, like 2-5 years. It could be as long as 10 years in my state.

On top of that they will have to go through an alcohol program, at their cost. Then the expensive part is the insurance. Once they get their license back, if they ever get it back, they will have to pay for high risk insurance for several years. After the mandatory high risk insurance they'll still have very expensive insurance rates for many years.

All said and done, anyone stupid enough to get a third DUI is going to cost them tens of thousands of dollars. Bottom line is that he's fucked. I've known people who left the state because of it, got a new fake identity, and couldn't go home, not even to visit their family.

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course they go to jail. Let me tell you a story. One of my distant relatives was driving under the influence, fell out of her car, got hit by a TV in someone elses car, and then got ran over. She lost a leg and went to jail. Dont drive under the influence and think there are not any consequences.

What Guys Said 8

• Yea... he gonna be in for a long long time... at LEAST 90 days...
    depends on your state... in my state..
    1st time... misdemeanor.. just a fine
    2nd time.. misdemeanor.. fine, short jail time...3days -a week
    3rd time... well... again...90 days or more
    other states..1st time is a felony... one year min.
    so weird.

• Yes. In my state they do jail time for sure for a DWI 3. And then if you get a DWI 4 in a 5 year span that's a felony.

• You should go to jail for that. Fuck him.

• You could look up his mugshots on arrest. org

• Third time? Yeah, 10-30 days wouldn't be unheard of.

• 3rd time? the first time didn't scare them enough? is your friend retarded?

• 0|0

by the way, you'd think by now he'da learned his lesson, what a complete dumbass

• Yes, and by the third he should be in jail for a long time! He has been wrecklessly endangering the lives of many innocent people.

What Girls Said 2

• In my state, I was arrested for a DUI. It was my first time and spent three days behind bars. Each DUI, the worse is it for you.

• Probably won't be too long