Uncooperative group members: is it right to let them claim the group's merits alongside the members who really worked hard?

All my life, I have seen "parasites" taking advantages of activities done in groups as the easy way out from a rigorous curriculum!

For these parasites, groups do not really encourage cooperation. This is often the case when people have personal disinterest in keeping in touch with their fellow group members.

It bothers me when a project is applauded very well and all members get the same grade and are recognized regardless of the amount of contributions done by each individual in the group. I see this every time; not only it disturbs me, but also causes me to feel bad for those who really poured their time.

For you, is it right to let the uncooperative group members take recognition for their group's hard work?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Is it alright? No. What can be done about it? Not a whole lot.

Luckily, I'd say it at least gets better in college-- the people there tend to actually take their grades a bit more seriously and will put in effort to not fail. That being said, group projects also are awful because they mean lots of work more often than not... but that's another story lol. (Note I'm referring to personal experiences in college only, in work life this happens often. 'Tis especially the wonders of management in some places.)

In any case, all you can do is basically do all the work, present the material knowledgeably, and let them be the awkward failure in front of the class. It's pretty easy to tell as a viewer of a presentation who did the work. The teachers notice it too (they just don't really care much). If it is not a presentation, I'm afraid all you can do is deal with it and push them along as best as you can.

It's one of those injustices of the world. Some people are willing to fail or don't care if they do poorly while others strive to do the best they can. The mismatch is doomed to not balance out. As much as I want to offer a viable solution, all that can really be done is to deal with it.

• They're presentations. All the group works are presentations and I'll heed your advice 😊

Most Helpful Girl

• nope and luckily in my college my professor has an interesting way of tackling it, he would watch the project being presented and defended and then ask each group member what they did as contribution for their project, depending on how much work they did or how important their role was he adjust their grades from it with the ceiling of the grade being the total grade for the group, and whoever couldn't prove that they did anything would not be given any grade and given one more chance to redeem it by doing another project, on their own.

sadly high-school teachers could not give a damn if they tried, the only thing that could really be done about that is to report them to either the principal/dean or directly to the dept. of education

• That is actually a great approach and I find it very effective

• which is why teachers nowadays still think that Pluto is part of our solar system or that an asteroid killed the dinosaurs, or that the smallest building block of matter is still the atom, knowledge is constantly changing, evolving and growing, so we can't just keep memorizing forever, especially when half the classmates you ask don't even know what exotic particles are or what bezier curves are, and most people stop trying to learn after college because they had no interest to begin with, whereas if you taught them by practical means like experiments or demonstrations the students will not only become engaged, interested and enjoy it, but they will start to study things for themselves that were not even part of the curriculum, you don't foster geniuses by reading textbooks, you do so by igniting their curiosity for the unknown.

• "have the memorize repeat system that most teachers and some professors love to do *removed*" sorry, major typo

What Guys Said 17

• Sigh... absolutely never okay, but then again at school teachers tend to give no fucks about who did what in a group, so it happens a lot anyways.

• This will go on throughout life, not just in school

• True just look at all the parasites on welfare, able bodied people who could work but won't work.

• You can't stop also fit, but you can register your objections. But be careful, you'll get. Charged with racism if you don't carefully document everything, and sexism if you wee a guy...

• That's the problem with all this damn political correctness. You can't call a lazy bastard a lazy bastard without being called a racist or a sexist. I don't give a damn what color you are or which sex you are, if you're able go out and work and earn what you have. If it's not enough then better yourself so you can get a higher paying position. Granted there are some who are broken and can't or shouldn't be working but unfortunately they can't get the disability that supposed to be there for them in that case because there are too many who don't want to or won't work using up all the funds. Drug addiction, alcoholism, obesity and the one that really gripes me, not being able to speak English are not reasons to be on disability. Get help, get treatment, get education and get your ass to work and for Christ's sake learn English!

• Yes it is, here is the thing, if you ostracise a group member more often then not they will just simply fail, but if you work with them and bring them up then you can accomplish a lot. But you must have energy. I always do when i lead groups so everyone has a part.

• Call them out... but be classy and call out the slackers in a private conversation with the instructor or boss.

• Noooo and this is why I hate group projects. Out of the 4 years I went to college I had only one good group where we all did our work.

• Fuck that. When someone bails on me during the group work, I make sure I'll be as fair to them as they were to me. No one takes credit for my work except for me.

• Nope, it's preparing you for life.

• Eh. I was usually the one doing all the work getting the high grades in group projects.

In the end they lose, not applying themselves what so ever. Some teachers would recognise who did all the work though and put the others on blast. 😂

• fuck no, these people are the people that will leech of benefits for the majority of their life.

• b, no, and ESPECIALLY at the workplace. that amounts to stealing from my check for the work that i've done.

• No its not but its the nature of group products

• I have been known to take people's names off of the group before.

• No, but that's life... especially in school. Every group project will have crappy students riding the coattails of the kids that do the entire thing. One of the MANY things wrong with the school system.

• No, you remove the individual from the group and let them fail.
    I've done that before and it was totally worth it.
    No one should get credit for your work.

• It's unfair to the active participants. Maybe they should be discharged after missing a percentage of the events. Can you say "Resume' Builder"

• no its not

• This will go throughout life, not just in school

What Girls Said 2

• Nope I wouldn't let them take credit at all.

• Heck no. One time in middle school we had a science project and I had two partners. One of which hated me for no reason and refused to work, and the other was just lazy as hell. So when it was time to present, I had done the whole thing by myself and I informed the teacher that they did jack shit and I received all the credit and they both got zeros. I regret NOTHING.