I have super tight braids. Can they rip my hair out?

So I've only ever been to an African braid shop twice. The first time was for my 8th grade graduation and the second was today. Usually my mom braids my hair only in the summer because it's harder for me to manage my hair in the summer. My mom usually doesn't have 6 hours to spend braiding my hair so instead of givig me a ton of small long individuals she'll give me a few dozen big box braids. I've wanted individuals for a while. It's the style around here. So I went and got my hair braided. It didn't hurt too bad while they were braiding it, but when they were done and they touched my scalp it hurt like hell. They put my hair in a ponytail and I instantly let it down when I walked out of the salon to relieve some of the pain and to cover my big ass forehead. So now I can't shower or go to sleep because I can't gather my hair into a shower cap because it's so long and it hurts to move my hair. I'm terrified my hairline will just drop off. I already have a big ass forehead. Can my hair be permanently damaged by this and how can I stop the pain?

Most Helpful Guy

• Your hair won't be permanently damaged, but it can be in the short-term. Traction alopecia can be a problem for people with tight braids and dreads, causing hair to fall out if pulled too tightly. It can be reversed by just letting your hair relax and recover for a while. You're young and female, so I wouldn't worry about balding or anything like that. I used to have the same problem with my locks

Most Helpful Girl

• I completely understand. Lol. I've had those same type of braids many times before and I felt the exact same way. The braiding usually makes your scalp really sore and yea it does hurt like hell but it's normal. After a few days it should feel regular and not too sensitive at all. I've never seen any hair loss/damage after having those braids even though I had the extreme sensitivity. The only thing that could be possibly damaging to your hair would be for you to:
    1) Not keep your hair moisturized
    2) Get micro braids that are really hard to take out which causes your hair to sometimes even come out
    3) Wait too long to take the braids out

Don't worry about it, after a few days it'll be back to normal. Good luck.

• How long do they last for?

• Totally agree and thanks for the information.

What Guys Said 3

• Try and embrace the pain until you come to a place where it's enjoyable. When your hair grows out enough to relieve the pain, call me at once and I shall come pull it!

• Loosen them up. It's bad for your scalp

• It will get better but will give you a headache until your hair starts to grow a little and won't be as tight but no your hair won't fall out since my daughters had that done when they visited the islands in the Caribbean

What Girls Said 13

• Yes braiding too tight can tear the hair from the roots if not careful. I grew up having braids until I permed my hair. But not so much permanently damage it. But it pulls on your scalp and that really does hurt. It is way too tight. And it is pulling on the nerves in your head. Tell your mom to not have this happen again. It will make the nerves very sensitive to touch when you touch your head in those areas. Your not alone! I stopped with the braiding years ago. Braiding is not healthy! It may look trendy, is cultural, convenient, and may help to grow out your hair a little, but it is very damaging as a consequence. If you do braid them, it needs to be looser, not tighter! It will cut off your circulation to the brain.

• I'm tender headed, so I would wait a week for the tension to stop. If it still hurts badly, you need to take them out. That means your hair is getting pulled too much. I know you've seen the old black women and thought, Where is her hairline? That's what happened to it.

• They're suppose to be secure and comfortable not super tight. Your hair will grow with braids,100%! Your hair will not grow with super tight braids pulling on your follicles, causing stress on your hair, leading to damage. There is a big chance it will take out your hair, it happens to my cousin once. She said the braids felt too tight and left them and when she unbraided her hair a lot fell out all over leaving with bald spots and tears.

• Lol no your hair won't rip out, I've had a lot of individual yarn braids last year and I remember it hurting for about 2-4 days until I was used to it, it was especially annoying to sleep on it at first but I hardly even noticed it after a while.

• If you're black, nothing to worry about but if you're white not to sure as your hair is really soft/delicate. Box braids are really common in Namibia like almost every third person you see has them. And of course they hurt the first week or so but we're used to it here. But your hair won't fall out just take care of them. When they start getting old then they fall out ( not your hair just the braid)

• I'm black. I usually don't worry aboyt getting my hair braided. It's just never hurt this bad for this long. I guess I'm just paranoid cause every other woman in the braid shop had no hairline.

• Hey I wear braids most of the time too. My hair is texturised but I think braids ate host easier to maintain. When I get braids especially the longer ones it hurts at first but by two weeks it goes away. In ur case I'd just make sure to spray your hair a lot to lose the braids a little which will relieve the pain. I would also not tie it up tightly cause that will damage your hairline.

• The tension from the braids can cause the hair to snap however it depends on how strong your hair is.

• I don't think your hair is gonna fall out, if anything I'm sure they help it grow. Braids loosen up after a few days, trust me I know it hurts but just try to get through it

• I once got my hair done in small braids against my scalp, worst feeling ever. The scalp felt abused, she pulled the fuck outta my hair.

• It's your body's way of telling you not to do that

• Go back to the shop and get the braids loosened. Or you could try co-washing your scalp with conditioner and use it to try and gently loosen and add slack to the individuals.

• Yes it is damaging

• It is damaging the hair