The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing. " Agree or Disagree?

This is a quote often attributed to Edmund Burke. do you agree or disagree with it?
The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing.

• I agree
  • I disagree
  • It depends (please explain)

Most Helpful Girl

• Most times, I would disagree. When you sit by idly and do nothing, you allow tyrants to slowly take over and take our freedoms. However, I feel that American has way overstepped in "helping" other countries, and have crossed from assisting to meddling, and has now caused some of the return fire we've received.

Most Helpful Guy

• I disagree to an extent. I think society creates evil through injustices. If there was enough good and foresight then we wouldn't create evil at all. Apathy and manipulation breed evil. The ability to not care even if you're an otherwise good person.

Humans are reactionary in nature so we only give a shit when it starts to effect us directly regardless of how good we are. We will always do nothing until the problem is already created. It's our nature.

What Girls Said 5

• I don't completely agree, sometimes the evil is just too powerful to be able to easily get it down even if everyone stands against it.

• Agree...

• Absolutely. That's the truth.

• No. Evil can win even when the good guys gave it all they got. Life doesn't choose sides.

• I agree for the most part.

What Guys Said 16

• I disagree. The good people, or the people who are at least halfway decent, far outnumber the evil people. The history of humans is a history of overcoming adversity time and time again. Simply by existing, and being reasonably decent, the vast numbers of people more than offset the evil in the world.

The fact that us humans have overcome so much shows just how strong we are. We've overcome wars, famines, plagues, cruel dictators, natural disasters, the very worst that nature or other humans can offer. Yet we survive and thrive.

That's because even under the worst conditions, even in the midst of war, there is an old man helping an old woman take something off the top shelf, or a woman suckling a baby, or teenagers falling in love, or somebody who smiles at a stranger, or somebody who is elated because their favorite team just won, or because music, or because art, or flowers, or birds.

It's because no matter what evil some people do, all those little things add up to something much bigger. You don't have to carry the world on your shoulders. You just have to take cookies to the old lady across the street, and maybe sit and keep her company for a while. That's all it takes.

• I disagree with anyone that says evil triumphs regardless. That is untrue and entirely morbid. The whole point of this statement was that if you stand by and allow bad or unjust things to conspire you are in essence allowing it to happen which is entirely true. If I were to see you beating a woman but walked by and decided not to intervene though I could have, it was by your hand she was beaten but by my non-interference that she was allowed to be beaten.

If I intervene however and decide to restrain you and provide assistance, the problem is solved.

This of course could go deeper into the fact that when we go to war it is usually to stop an injustice but there are casualties of war and civilian losses. One could argue this is evil triumphing regardless of intervening but I would say that in times of conflict casualties are expected but it is for a greater good. We intervened in World War II, six million Jews had died, some may argue evil triumphed, I would agree that it was too late, but look at how many lives were saved.

When good men intervene, evil stands no chance.

By too late I mean the allies were too late in becoming involved. Which could have prevented mass casualties proving that all evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

• The VERY FOUNDATION, of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!! A lot of good men, stood up, and said 'FUCK YOU ENGLAND!!' and DECIDED to make a NEW NATION!!
    I don't think that most of us, now, can IMAGINE the BALLS these guys had, standing up, and doing that, knowing that they would be 'TRAITORS' and be marked for death!!
    But they did it, and made OUR GREAT NATION!!!
    Today, we have to consider the ones, running for president. Which will uphold that IDEAL?
    None, I think, and it pains me to say that!! I think that the Founders would be APPALLED with the candidates for President, today!!

• I agree. History has proven this time and time again. Usually, it happens when people exchange their freedom for "security" and free stuff. It is almost always due to people giving a government too much power.

• I agree. If no one stands up against evil, evil will never stop.

• I agree but the pfoblem are the differences of opinion about what's evil

• Are you in a race to become guru? You've been asking a lot of very meh questions lately...

• The only thing necessary for good to exist is for evil to exist. Is evil would seize to exist good will have nothing to contrast too, making good... normal. Good is only good because we have an 'evil' to compare it too

• Evil eventually destroys itself but I would say it depends.

• I for the most part agree and in most cases that would be true.

• That's taken from Ali ibn Abi Talib anyway agree

eh im not finding him saying it when i type it in google

Well duh you won't find it like that , it's in Arabic and besides it can be translated to many things

I searched I don't think it's written in English all Arabic results

• Totally agree.

• Yeah I generally agree, but who's to decide what is good and evil.

• I agree

• okay

• 0|0