Who thinks that learning more than one language is a waste of time?

Since we can all use Google Translator. What's the point?

Most Helpful Girl

• Google translate is extremely unreliable lol.
    Learning multiple languages can create better job opportunities and allow you to understand the culture of said language from a totally different angle.

I guess this notion of 'uselessness' applies to a lot of things. In a similar fashion, knowing how to solve calculus problems can be useful for some people, but others do not need it one bit.

Most Helpful Guy

• Only an American could ever say that. If you actually knew how to speak a foreign language, you would quickly realize how incredibly crappy google translate (or similar bots) really are.

What Girls Said 7

• I don't trust the translators all the time. That was one of the reasons why I got a C in Spanish class. *Ahem*. Anyway, I don't think it's a waste of time unless you won't take it seriously. I think anybody that can learn additional languages are VERY lucky, especially if there are jobs that look for bilingual people and get paid good money for it.

• So for a job only, I suppose.

• No, not job only, but just for yourself. There have been so many times I wish I could understand Spanish videos, and wish I took the Spanish classes seriously in High school and in College. But I can't speak a sentence of it.

• I could hit on Spanish girls better. But I'm too lazy to learn.

• Obviously you've never used Translate to translate into a language you understand. If you knew more than one language you would understand why that isn't an option.

• I have a few reasons for learning a new language.

So if you don't have any good reason to learn a new language, then I suppose it is a waste of time.(esp if you are never gonna use that language )

• What are your reasons?

• One of them is that I wanna visit the country and stay there for a while

• There is an advantage to people who can speak more than one language. It enables them to have better job opportunities, be more social, and simply learn more things.

• It's not a waste of time. Google translate is a last resort. I had three years of Spanish but because our language teachers didn't do their job I barely know it. I wish I would have had good teachers or be taught earlier.

• Its never a waste of time, "know thy enemy language!"

• Yes cause google translate is so accurate...

What Guys Said 6

• A totally racist attitude; one I recognize since a lot of my students in Spanish classes have the same attitude.

• Google Translator?
    I only use it for languages completely unknown to me.
    Do you want to smile? Take a 10 line English text, translate it into any other language, then translate the result back to English.

• my native language is used over a very limited geographical space. learning another language would be important for me to interact with people.

• You're american?

• cos you need google translator to talk to people face to face #idiot

• Lel Americans