Why do American people think being Hispanic is a race of its own?

I know it's not a big deal but I've heard one too many questions on it on here. I'm European, I have one Brazilian friend who is black, two from Mexico which, one has olive skin and the other is white. Another from Boliva and El Salvador who are dark.

They can't be a race because they have so many ancestors from all over they are completely different.

I'm curious do you think being Hispanic that they are all the same race?

Most Helpful Guy

• In America were too "politically correct" Somehow we started classifying people as continents or generalize as in Hispanic. They think it wouldn't offend anyone.
    My friend whom I called Asian said "I'm Chinese not a continent, why do you talk like that?"
    Black friends are "black" not African American. Several have said I don't know anything about Africa, I don't want to know anything about it & I don't ever want to go there.
    Mexicans are from Mexico, NOT anywhere near Puerto Rico, Latin America, or Cuba. Each has it's own customs & food.
    We had an invasive fish named "Asian carp" We changed the name to "invasive fish" not to offend anyone in Asia although that's where it came from.

Most Helpful Girl

• They are idiots that are not educated properly. I have noticed this a lot as well and it's very irritating.

What Guys Said 6

• American people tend to give a high importance on the differences between so called 'races'.
    www.coloursofracism.com/.../...c69e3cd_w2y_416.jpg

• i don't know if people necessarily think of it as a race or a large ethnicity

• Hispanic isn't even considered a race to the US government. Most people tend to want to simplify the world is probably why lots of Americans think that.

• It's even worse than that. If you're brown, you're Mexican.

• If you wanna get technical that's true for any race. We can start with the "human race" shit cuz that is scientifically accurate but Hispanic is like a separate culture, similarities and appearance.

• Those countries are not the divisions. Those borders were drawn by Europe.

What Girls Said 2

• Estupidos

• I don't think it is because it isn't.