Could you have lived through (or go back to) the 1990's?

Could you have lived through (or go back to) the 1990's?A Mathew Perry and Jennifer Aniston instruction video (VHS) for windows 95 *cringe*

The 90s was fun but when I look at the constant entertainment on offer to not just kids but everyone now, it wouldn't be fun if you had to go back.
If you grew up in the 90's facebook didn't exist. If you wanted to know what your friends were doing, you literally had to call them on the phone and ask. It likely wouldn't have been a mobile either unless you were rich or it was '99.
This is what playing video games looked like in the "90s". A young Will Smith playing a Nintendo Entertainment System. (photos were not black and white)

Video games in the 90's were not as fun or addictive as they are now. They were actually extremely basic and tedious to play at times as you would often have to start a level over if your character died and they didn't have save features.

The internet was only in its early stages in the 90s. Most people didn't have it until the very late 90s.
Computers had very small memories and didn't have touch screens or cameras.

Television screens were much smaller than what you are used to now and picture quality was poor (see picture with will smith)

Cars were less fuel efficient and didn't have features like reversing cameras, parking sensors or blind spot indicators. If you needed to park, you actually needed spacial awareness.

Nobody had satelite Navigation. If you needed to get somewhere, you actually needed to be able to read a map.

If you were fat in the 90's you were fat. Curvy or plus size were not words for it then.

Forget iPhones, there weren't even iPod's and for most of the 90's no mp3 players. If you wanted to hear music, you needed to turn on the radio or own the CD or cassette tape.

There was no Netflix. Physical video store for you.

So could you have survived it or bear to go back?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Born in 1990. So many good 90s memories. But I think I like the transition of living in the 90s for a decade and growing with the times into this new era. I wouldn't change that, but I do think each decade has its own coolness. In many ways, the 90s are kind of symbolic for leaving behind something more basic... I don't know how to explain it. Things seem simpler, in terms of technology and lifestyle, even though the changes were probably well under way before the 2000s.

I'm kind of chubby/chunky, but I'm also half black so it wouldn't have mattered. I'd still be a thick, exotic goddess and confident af.

I disagree - I was more into video games in the 90s, mainly because of my dad. We went to the arcades with his friends, and I loved playing my nintendo, sega genesis, and gameboy games. I was obsessed with superhero games like xmen or spiderman, I loved sonic the hedgehog and tekken, and pokemon was my nerd fantasy.

I'm definitely a child of my generation though. I'm very plugged in. I can redo my childhood in the 90s, but I love modern technology. I can't live without my smartphones or my modern macbook. I could only do it, if I didn't know what I know now. But the 90s were fucking great still.

That's just it. It was great then because you were blissfully undisturbed by your current environment

Most Helpful Guy

• I grew up in the 90s and it’s not the doom and gloom you’re making it out to be.

We had books, magazines, comics… everyone had a VCR so you’d tape your favourite shows to watch them over and over again just like people do with Netflix now.

Facebook didn’t exist, but in 1996 ICQ came out and pretty much all my friends had it. Before that, if you had internet access, you had chatrooms, IRC, and email. Before the World Wide Web propagated, your parents might have gotten AOL or CompuServe or similar.

The NES was only gaming at the very beginning of the 90s - the SNES was out in 1991 (and Sonic came out in response), and we saw some of the most exciting leaps in technology during that decade. CD-ROMs, good quality music and sound, full motion video, proper 3D. You read any games mag from the mid 90s and it was all about the exciting new tech coming from Japan. To say that games were extremely basic and tedious means you were playing the wrong games. Many of the most popular franchises today either got started or hit their stride in the 90s. If you owned a computer, even those ‘very small memories’ allowed some of the greatest games of all time to run.

Carrying a tape or CD player with you was pretty much standard, too. Everyone made mix tapes so they’d have a playlist of their favourite songs back to back. Another fun hobby was sitting listening to the radio as you did homework or played on the computer, and quickly hitting the RECORD button on the radio’s tape player when a song you liked came on.

Honestly, you’re making it sound awful because of crap people don’t need like reversing cameras and parking sensors on their cars, or GPS systems, or smaller TVs.

I didn't mean to make it sound horrible but rather point out stuff that it didn't have.

I didn't really have enough space to go into the specifics of video game consoles and the early internet.
      Most of my friends certainly weren't on AOL. We didn't have it in Australia anyway. My family didn't have the internet till 98 and I went to a very exclusive school full of rich people, most of whom didn't have it. MSN really took off about that time but that stuff really wasn't there for the majority of the 90's

ICQ... now you're taking me back lol...

"Uh oh!"

What Girls Said 9

• I was an 80s kid so come the 90s I was at the best age... I loved it and would love to go back... Fashion was better, values were better... no reality TV rubbish...

Yeah, I was going to include how there was no reality TV yet except for the odd one but I was running out of characters

it was good clean fun...

• Actually yes, I had a good time in the '90s. I liked the music and tv shows, learning how to use a computer other than play a few games on the Commodore 64 was exciting, but I also had fun being able to travel far on my bicycle and hang out with friends in another town. It seemed to be really easy to connect to people on a deeper level than it is today (for me).

Strange. I used to do the same thing on my bike in the 90's

It was awesome. Very freeing feeling to ride around for hours.

@Flurr I sometimes lived in a big city, I didn't bike as much there though. I did walk around a lot!

• Well, my life doesn't revolve around the internet so most of this wouldn't be too upsetting.

I can also park, I park my 1999 BMW just fine with no cameras to help me.

Also, we had PlayStation back in the day, and N64... Golden Eye man... Golden Eye!!!

Golden eye was worth hours of fun right

@HotDogg loved it, this week I have been mainly playing Mario Kart for the Wii, I've just ordered Mario Party 9 too... can't beat a bit of Mario :D

Oooo Mario Party, with drinks...

• If I had to, I could do it but I wouldn't really fit in.

• The 90s was best for music

• I was actually born in 1990. :)

Could you bear the 90's again?

Well naturally I don't remember the early years of the 90's, but towards the end of the decade I do believe I could relive them.

• I grew up in the 80s and 90s and the thing is, we lived through it just fine because other technologies didn't exist, and I didn't think having to go outside and play with my real life friends was a bad thing, in fact, I miss that the most about future generations... that they don't get that. I would like to go back to the "Simpler" time for short visit, but you really can't 'go back,' because you're in a different place now, things have evolved and changed not just in the technological field, but in socio-cultural ways, and I like seeing now and in the future where these changes will lead us as a society rather than romanticizing an era I already lived through and enjoyed.

• Most of the stuff was really great but I would really miss my youtubes. Sadly, I am a youtube addict. The reality shows of today are really shit. The sitcoms are really shit. I love the English comedians of today because they can let rip without repercussions. It's a case of what you don't know, you don't miss.
    By the way SexualChrist, I love your picture. It's really out there.

• Nahh

What Guys Said 16

• Technology was undergoing a massive change that changed pretty much everything. Windows 95 was such a new and exciting operating system especially when compared to Windows 3.1 and DOS 6.1. Got to witness and be a part of the Internet explosion. Remember dial-up modems? AOL? Not to mention the explosion of cell phone technology!

Ya, the 90s was to technology as was music was to the 60s and 70s :)

How old were you in the 90's?

You sound awesome!

@FashionQueen86 Thank you sweetheart :)

• i could and did. loved the 90s.

that pic of will smith playing nintendo is one of my favorite baseball games ever.

Baseball Stars Forever!!

• I loved the 90's and 80's, so yes, I could.

• Yep, I was born in 1980 so I lived through the 90's. I was 10-years-old when the 90's started and I was 19 when it ended.

The 90's were the best when it came to music (IMO) and movies. Plus, my favorite team, the Knicks, were beastin' back then.

• I survived the 90s, and it's better now except for Trump and the economy.

• RIP to the 90s, last decade before social media ruined how people interacted with each other.

• YES!!!

I also remember being able to cross the border with nothing but a piece of paper that says I'm Canadian and never getting harrassed ;-(

Times have changed

• Yeah I love the 90's

• I was in University in the 90's and got my first job going around to diamond mines on behalf of the government and investors to authenticate their finds.

The job was fun, the music and drinks were good LOL it was an all round good time!

• I think the 80s and 90s had the potential to make you a more well rounded human. The vast amount of information today is great, but I believe it is a barrier to becoming a decent human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGb8V3LowvE

• I was born in '79 so when the 90s came around, I was 11-20 years old. It was good times for sure. I had the Zack Morris phone (overprotective parents), the NES, and a "sports edition" CD Walkman (anti skip and water resistant). One could actually get away with stuff because there weren't smartphones and cameras everywhere.

Yeah I miss that.

Yeah that part. My SK days are definitely over. Good times though

Oh great, now you got me thinking of what I can do as my next prank (think Penguins of Madagascar)

• I don't think so haha
    But the best times of my life have all been in the 90s

• I proved it! :D

What do you mean?

My first computer experience was punching cards and bringing the batch to a mainframe.
      20 years later I learned myself to program in DOS, on an HP 70 pocket computer. (more a programmable calculator than a computer)
      Then I bought a2nd hand Amstrad 464 micro computer for our son. It had a whopping 64 KB RAM!

static.giantbomb.com/.../...6-2091747587-img_2.jpg

During the eigties we bought a real 80364 with a HDD ! :D

I think my first computer experience was my neighbors commodore 64. It was weird. I didn't really consider it to be a computer because my father had a laptop with windows 3.1 or something but I wasn't allowed to touch it cause it was his work computer. Strangely enough he ended up giving it to me one day. Was useless by then though. I gave it to my aunt.

• i did

• I lived through the 90's and the biggest difference between then and now is faster computers, a more evolved internet and smart phones. The rest of that stuff is trivial.

It was only 20 years ago, not the fucking dark ages. Sheesh this is so dumb.

So not true lol

By 97 or 98 I didn't know anyone who wasn't downloading mp3s.

My computer was my stereo. My life wasn't incomplete because I didn't have an mp3 player.

You must've been amongst a pretty tech savy crowd then. Most computers wouldn't have had enough memory to store a huge collection of them in 97.

• 90s music is my fav so I could use that to get me by.