Do you want to raise your future kids using/teaching multi-languages?

If yes what languages do you know and want to use with them? If no do you want to care about their language educations in their first ages? If no for both why?

Most Helpful Girl

• I am all for this but unfortunately I don't speak another language and neither does their father.

I wish all bilingual parents taught their kids their other language. Many do not unfortunately. Growing up with another additional language is the best way to learn one.

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutely, most people in the Dutch speaking part of Belgium know from 2 to 4 languages and that helps a lot. You can communicate with many :D

What Girls Said 52

• Well my brother married a girl from Portugal, so if they have children they'll most likely be bilingual. So I'd try to teach my kids Portuguese as well.

• Yes my kids will most definitely learn a minimum of two languages. Swedish for sure, and English as well, if their father has a language too then they'll learn a third language. I would probably use Swedish with them because for me family life has always been in Swedish, even if their father doesn't speak Swedish (he could probably learn basics lol). It might sound like a handful for a kid to have three languages but it's really not, actually good for the brains cognitive function, memory process and problem solving. So there's nothing but benefits really.

• Coming from a multi ethnic family my parents taught us to speak 3 languages. If I were to have kids, I'd do the same. Its such an advantage.

Yes definitely. What languages do you know?

My dad's Filipino Chinese. Mom is Hispanic

So besides English, I speak Tagalog, Chinese and Spanish
      I also speak fluent Bahasa Melayu since I was raised in Brunei.

oh yeah your kids will be so lucky xd

• I want to teach my children Spanish and Hindi. I don't know either enough to teach them but I would hire someone to. I think knowing multiple languages is an invaluable skill and absolutely worth it.

• I'm teaching my daughters the languages I speak: Russian, Spanish, French, Polish,...

My eldest daughter has been self-teaching some other languages: Japanese, German, Luxembourgish, Italian, Chinese, Arabic, Swedish, Dutch, Icelandic, Polish, Kurdish, Korean... she cannot speak them, since she is mute, but she can understand them.

• Both my partner and I only know English and I know the basic GCSE level Spanish so we can't raise them bilingually ourselves but it would be nice for them to learn some language at school.

you know at many schools language education is not well developed it is better to start teach them in the first ages

Kids start learning either basic French, Spanish or German here from age 5. My school also made learning a language compulsory from ages 11 to 15, with two languages offered as optional classes afterwards.

In my opinion 5 is late too if there are possibilites, maximum at 2. And till the age for starting school hiring a nanny which is fluent in the language you want your kid to learn is the best way i think to start.

• Yea, of course. I will teach them my native language, bulgarian. I will teach them English. I know a little bit of french and Spanish. So ill teach them what i know in these languages too. And then if my husband knows more languages, he is free to do it also.

lol good but if you dont know french and Spanish well dont teach xd because if you teach some things wrong it will be hard to change later for them

i love my slavic friends <3 xD

Love you too, honey :D

• My child (ren) will very likely be multilingual. At the very least, they will be bilingual. They will learn English of course, but also Serbian as that is my husband's native language. He'd like to teach it to our kids and speak to them in both languages.

I hope that they also learn some French, and become proficient in it. Where I live (Canada), most kids learn at least basic French in school. Some other ones do immersion programs, or even go to an all French school.

• I don't wanna have children but I know 7 languages so out of those I'd probably teach them English & German, maybe French as well. I think it's very important to be multilingual especially in light of career opportunities. It's also linked to higher intelligence, so I imagine this is a benefit especially for children due to growth and brain development.

7 languages at 20?

do you say that you are fluent in all of these languages?

Pretty much, I'm still improving my Dutch & I wouldn't be able to tell with Latin because the opportunities to practice that pretty much died with the Romans but I can read and understand those very well, casual conversations shouldn't be an issue either.
      I also don't know much business terminology in Japanese but that's better.

• Yes, I do. I consider both Romanian and Hungarian as my native languages, so I would teach them to my future kids *if I will have*. I would try to teach them English and remind myself the little German I know to teach them that too. The more languages you learn at a young age, the easier it is to learn new languages afterwords.

Yeah more languages mean more potential homelands. by the way if you know hungarian you eaisly can learn finish , turkish, korean.

that map is wrong, and outdated

серезно бляд? да имы больше живем в первой мировой стране и турки в третом хахахах уходи с москы иногда и видай где и как другие живут сука

• Yes I wanna teach my kids, Nepalese, Hindi and if I really can Chinese and Japanese... I know the list is long but I can do two of these languages fluently and read as well and the other two I can read and understand mostly

• Yeah. I don't want to have kids but if I did, I would want them to know English, Chinese, and Spanish seeing as they are the most widely spoken languages. I'd want my kids to be able to communicate with as many people as possible.

why dont you want kids?

oops that was meant as a reply to you Prochto.

I think you are really thoughtful :)

• I am fluent English and Spanish. I do know Portuguese but I wouldn't say I'm fluent. I'm also learning Japanese.

I'd like to teach them for sure Spanish and English. And any other languages I know.

• I was raised bilingual speaking both Arabic and French before the age of 4 and I want my kids to speak both these languages too, it's pretty common to be bilingual from an early age in my region of the world.

Yeah I see , In the past french imperialists were in tunisia

• Yes, I would like my children to be at least bi-lingual, if not multi-lingual. I wish my parents would have enrolled me in a foreign language or two from an early age. There are just so many benefits from knowing more than one language. I am not really too picky about which language, although I see the most benefit knowing Spanish.

• Yes I am multi-lingual myself and would want my children to be so as well, it's a vital skill to have in today's day and age as it is

• Yes I would like my kids to know different languages such as Gaelige (I'm not to worried about as it's not useful for anything) mandarin and Spanish although I still must learn them myself. I wouldn't be like forcing them to learn it if they learn it they learn it if not that's okay too. I just think it would be useful for them to know different languages.

• I know Georgian, English, Russian, Italian (basic), German (yet to improve).
    I want them to know all of those languages and few more ones.

• I'm half Puerto Rican and would like for my children to know Spanish but sadly I myself do not. I also think French is a beautiful language so it would be nice to learn that as well.

• Yup
    I am going to use Bangla, Urdu, English and Arabic

• Yes, my kids will know malayalam and English. But I will stress more importance on malayalam they will take classes for it, watch only malayalam movies/shows etc, try to read and write in it, take frequent trips to India so they can communicate with family therefore learn to speak more fluenty. I can have them forgetting their heritage.

• I believe teaching your kids multi language is a very good thing to do. At that age the kids will learn a lot faster and when they grow up they will be able to speak two languages fluently.
    If English is your native language I would suggest to teach your kids Spanish :)

• I live in the Netherlands and am raising my children in Dutch formost. I'll teach them how to count in other languages such as English, Spanish and french, maybe teach them some words auch as thank you, bye etc, but they'll learn actual language in school, and I'll be able to help them with that since I'm hood at languages

• I live in Canada so English and french.

• Yes, I do. I'm sure they won't be born here, so they will speak another language.
    But I also want them to know how to speak my first language.
    And I speak Portuguese and English.

• No, in my country l-being multi - languages is not important so I will not annoy them with other language. I know how hard it's to learn. I try to learn German and Russian but that's really hard and honestly where I live knowing foreign language is not important.

a tebenenado uchiturusski nahui pajalusto nam ne nujni luidi kotorie vlubilic vameriku

Which language do you talk here? I can't recognesize it. I'm really bad at language honestly.

• I know 3 languages and I'd like it if my kids know even more

• i am trilingual and my kids will know more than one language that's forsho

• Manderin, Spanish, and English. My boyfriend speaks Manderin fluently and I speak English and Spanish

Chinese and English are very useful i think

Very. Spanish, English, and Manderin are actually the three biggest languages, so it would be beneficial to teach it to them. I use Spanish almost every day at work and English at home.

• Yes, I think that would be nice. I grew up like that. I'd like them to know English, French and Spanish (I don't know a lot of Spanish, but I think it would be useful and neat). More would be awesome, I myself would like to learn more languages.

• More from Girls
    22

What Guys Said 28

• Yes, because I'm in a bi-national (and bi-cultural) relationship. My girlfriend comes from South Korea and I come from Switzerland. Hence, my girlfriend will talk Korean with our future children while I will talk Swiss to them. Also, once our children will reach the age of 5-6, I will stop translating good-night stories into Swiss and will start reading them exclusively in German. This is normal procedure here in Switzerland and all Swiss parents do it. It's very tough for the kids in the beginning but they have to go through this because they are obligated to learn German anyway once they get into first grade elementary.
    And because my girlfriend and I communicate quite a lot in English with each other, our kids will probably also catch some of that. But technically speaking, they will be bilingual because only Swiss and Korean will really be native languages for them.

thats pretty good , i hope you will have a good marriage :)

• I can't really converse in Spanish, but I can get by in a Spanish-speaking neighborhood or country with what I know. I can "read" (phonetically) Arabic, Cyrillic and Devanagari. I can say very basic things in many other languages, but I have no ability to converse in them.

In addition to English, I would want my hypothetical children to learn Spanish, Arabic (well enough to recite the Quran and understand the major Middle Eastern dialects), and at least one of Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, or Hindi. I think that would prepare them well, economically and culturally, for the world they will live in.

• Not really.
    I prefer him to dominate well it's home language, where he may born and grow.
    I'm more into trying to awake and develop his curiosity side for things in general, and show/being able to offer him pieces of different stuff in his first years.

I want him to taste what's possible from the stuff that exist in the world, and kinda see what he may be into.

I don't want to indirect influence him to go to language areas.

Then, he will choose what he may prefer to learn.

But they will learn at least English if that's not their language.
      Like i said, as a young child, i'm not into serving them more than 2 languages.
      Their time is precious to learn other things.

• unfortunately i could only teach my child latin... a useful skill but there are far more useful languages

i'd like my children to learn Spanish and as of right now mandarin chinese

lol good and your child could eaisly be a doctor xd

With Latin your children could have a good career in academia or the Catholic priesthood.

@JRICHARDS1996 true. it can also give them a leg up in English comprehension and SAT/ACT testing as you can really learn a lot about the roots of words and what not, grammar and other stuff

I love that i learned Latin it has served me well. even though i don't know Spanish, italian or french i can often read the languages to an extent because they all come from Latin... I still wish i'd learned Spanish though in addition to Latin

• i don't want kids but if i do have kids yeah i'm gonna teach them a bunch of languages. Deja je savoir le fran├žais et l'italien et un peu de l'aleman. Oh and a bit of vietnamese too. For your average nguoi dan ong that is not so bad and i plan to be able to go anywhere in the world and reasonably converse with most of the people (or at least the interesting ones). It is really a matter of making the rest of the world accessible to you, there are jobs and cultures and ideas that are just not available to someone who doesn't speak the language.

• No. We live in the United States. Make the immigrants learn our language if they want to live here. I refuse to learn a second language just to appease the Political Left.

• of course, i regret that my parents have not raised me with multiple languages.

• Our son was raised bilingual French-Dutch. The rule is: one person , one language, until the child uses complicated sentences.
    After that he learned Latin, German, English , picked up some Italian later.

• My future children will absolutely learn a second language. I want them to know English and Spanish. More would be desirable.

Why? I speak 4 languages. Because of this so many jobs are open for me. And if you see how global companies work nowadays you can see it's increasingly important to speak several languages.

Also knowing other languages opens your minds up for other cultures.

• Russian is a must for my kids since they can't forget their heritage (Russian speaking Ukrainian).
    English is a language they can't go without.
    French could come in handy I'll need to learn it first.
    Ukrainian I do not speak but if I learn it I will teach them. It's the lowest priority.

If they can speak the first two I'll be satisfied.

• Hypothetical question completely because I don't plan on having kids (I don't think I'd be an able enough father and I don't want to selfishly pass on my autism), but I'll answer anyway. I would encourage Russian, Spanish, Mandarin, Hindi, French, Portuguese and German. English will likely get us by for the next 30 years but that's it.

• Hell yeah. I would teach them German, Somalian (Because there is a lot of them and is a very popular language), Italian, and Japanese. (They'd already know English. )

• Language beyond English would be my last priority of things I'd choose to spend my time teaching my children. If that's specifically what they are interested in I'd help them were I could, but there are far more valuable skills and information they can learn from me.

• I would only teach my children English or the local language, which would most likely just be English anyway. (since if I ever end up anywhere permanently it is going to be New Zealand)

I personally don't think the time commitment in learning a language other than English is really worth the practical applications of it.
    I'd rather have them learn a useful skill instead.

• If and when my girlfriend and I have kids, we will absolutely be teaching them English and ASL together.

• English obviously and Spanish. My mom is columbian and she taught me Spanish but i haven't really used it in so long i can't speak it as fluently anymore and i would want my child to be able to not just because its a good asset to have in life but also so he can stay in touch with his heritage.

• Only sign language for security reasons.

• Well at most I'll teach them Latvian, Russian and English, just like I have learned.

• Since I was raise with English and Spanish I will probably teach my kid Spanish. And eventually when I finish learning Italian and French I will teach him those as well. Just realized that all three are considered "Romantic Languages" so he should have no problem with the ladies.

• I'd rather not.

• its not really an option since i and everyone i know speak 3 languages, one is official , one is mother tongue and one is used all over the world so we're taught at school from first grade.

• Yes i would like them to learn

• No only English merica fuck yea

• I already know 5 languages if I marry a foreigner it will increase in more languages

• If I even have children, that would depend on where we'd live.

• They have no choice, I will learn them Dutch, Norsk and English.

• i really want to

• I know Turkish and English and some German but I don't want to have kids

Why bro?

bro life's hard I can barely live and sustain myself this world is a dangerous place I don't want to bring a child into this dangerous world Life's hard and world is dangerous

yes but anyway we enjoy that fucking life and we will die like a bitch so let your kids live instead of ending before starting