Wouldn't you have beat the heck out of your tormentor if you were this man?

It's about a former US soldier who was tortured as POW (prisoner of war) by a Japanese during WWII. That Japanese solder was a translator and fluent in English.

Long story short, the guy met his chief tormentor 50 years later and forgave him (they actually became friends too). Personally, I would have beaten the crap out of him.

Story is on link:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215357/Eric-Lomax-A-tortured-war-hero-Japanese-tormentor-redeeming-power-forgiveness.html

• Hell yes, I would still beat him up and be happy I finally got my revenge
  • Nope, the guy did the right thing in forgiving his tormentor

Most Helpful Guy

• Apart from what other people already told you about the nature of war, there's one more thing to consider: forgiving is an act of kindness not only towards the other person but first and foremost towards yourself. It's a therapeutic way of coping with a traumatic experience. That's why some families forgive the murderers of their children. As long as you are angry and bitter about it, you will never get over that experience. It will always be in your heart and it will ruin your whole life (which is precisely what it shouldn't). By forgiving another person, you can not just make their life easier but you can also find a way to close that chapter for yourself and start looking ahead again. I believe such a new found way of long-term happiness much more mature and effective than the short-term satisfaction of an other person's misery. I mean, what are you gonna win from beating up another guy? Maybe a few days of evil giggling and quenched thirst for revenge, after which you'll fall back into your dark hole of anger and bitterness.

I guess you have a point. As I've been reading more, the guy initially wanted to meet up with his tormentor to kill him (he had brought a knife in his pocket), he had the chance to do it but changed his mind after seeing how repentant his tormentor was and forgave.

I imagine if he had gone along with the initial plan and still stab his tormentor to death, it would have made him worse.

Exactly. Apart from the 20-years prison sentence he'd have gotten for committing a murder, it also wouldn't have made him happy. Maybe he would have been satisfied for a few days but after that, he would have become much more miserable. Because then he wouldn't only have had to sink back into his bitterness and anger about the torture, he would have also developed terrible feelings of self-reproach and regret. The murder would have emotionally fucked him up even much more.
      For the exact same reason, I am against capital punishment. Society may feel satisfied for killing a criminal short-term but long-term, capital punishment is very destructive for any society and I believe America is a good place to see that. Revenge may give you short-term satisfaction but long-term, it's a terrible thing to do to yourself.

What Guys Said 10

• He was right to forgive. People don't usually have much of a choice in a war. Even if his tormented hadn't been explicitly ordered to torture him, it's what was expected. Our own soldiers torture people and I don't see people arguing that our POW's in Guantanamo bay should get revenge on American soldiers.

• l don't think anyone can still hold a grudge after 50 years 😱😲

I understand but it takes credit to forgive something like that.

• right decision = forgive
    my decision= beat him up

• He forgave him because he knew this is what it would've looked like if he had beaten him up
    https://youtu.be/bsve9wB_sEA

• In war when you're given an order, you follow it. Even if you don't agree with it, you follow it. Especially the Japanese, they were brutal. So you do what you have to do to survive in war. Each are given a job and you do it.

Well yes but still. I give him credits for forgiving the man that tortured him. He's better than what I would have done if it were me.

• He was just following orders, the Japanese did horrible things during the war but they were both soldiers and understand what war brings and both regret it.

• I'd beat his ass.

• Plot twist: the tormentor is stronger than the tormentee. What you gonna do about it then?

You can still use a weapon such as a knife, gun, etc.
      The tormentee initially planned to meet up with his tormentor to kill him. He was carrying a knife in his pocket (he had the chance to at that moment) but couldn't go along with the plan. Instead he forgave.

• il forgive him after i have murdered him.

That's what he originally what to do before meeting up with his tormentor. He had brought a knife to kill him but then couldn't go along with it and decided to forgive him.

What Girls Said 1

• What's the point? Of course you forgive

Personally, if someone tortured me like that I don't think I would ever see that person as a human. I would hate him forever.