What's so appealing about big hips on women?

Most Helpful Guy

• i agree with @dangerDoge his answer pretty much nailed a big part of it about hip to waist ratio

something else is that speaking in terms of evolution and survival of the fittest men are looking for a partner (whether they know it or not) that will be able to produce offspring... so we are attracted often to traits of women who can do that and there is some science that shows wider hips means it's easier for a woman to carry and birth a child

Ooh yeah I heard about that too. Good point. It was described to me before that smaller hips make it harder to childbirth, but extremely large hips show possible signs of health issues, hence why wide but not too wide is the ideal. (And why evolution hasn't given us all excessively huge hips)

What Guys Said 17

• It really depends on what you are meaning as big hips.

Statistically, it's not particularly "big hips," but rather the waist-to-hip ratio (WHR) [with ~.70 being the ideal]. Why is there an ideal? It is a cue to youth, health, fertility, and non pregnancy. (Singh, 2011)
    Note, however, that these are subconscious cues-- a dude probably won't go to a girl and be like, "Mm yes, you have ideal waist to hip ratio and I would like to partake in a date with you."

Evidence for my statements can be found in Miss America Contestants, in which the people in it are generally regarded as pretty. “In spite of change in height and weight over these years, the body shape of the contestants has retained the hour glass shape rather than becoming tubular.”***
    1940 == 34 - 24.5 - 35 == (WHR = .70)
    1987 == 35 - 23.5 - 34.5 == (WHR = .68)

There was also a study done (possibly by Singh as well) that took a picture of a female and digitally edited it into multiple versions-- all with different WHR. Participants than had to choose which was more attractive. The one with.7 was chosen the most.

So yeah, it's a lot of subconscious brain cues developed throughout mankind's evolutionary line. While a guy might say "idk, it just looks good (perhaps "curvy")," in actuality there are psychological reasons behind it at work.

***Note that WHR is not affected by weight (or at least to an extent). At EXTREME weights, it may affect one's ratio, but for the most part one's WHR is genetically built into people. Can't be changed under normal circumstances.

• www.troll.me/images/herbert-the-pervert/mmmm.jpg

Just adds to the curvy figure.

• They will be able to give birth to much children. Work the farm in the summer and bring in harvest during the fall.
    If there is a food shortage, eat the weakest of the brood.

• What it's appealing is the low waist-to-hips ratio.

You can have large hips and the waist with the same measurement. Not appealing to me

You have smaller hips, but your waist is even smaller. Appealing

• Fertility as well as cushion for worse times = higher chance to give birth to a healthy child = evolution made it attractive.

• It means she's got a phat ass.

• Hips are different from ass

• @helloitsmethere in the strict sense yes, but your hips help give your ass definition. Ever seen a large ass on a girl with narrow hips or a tiny ass on a girl with wide hips? Girls with the nicest asses tend to have wider hips.

i've been fooled. see a girl with big or wide hips then they walk by and there isn't much ass to speak of

• To me: if she has a small stomach and a big butt, I do not care AT ALL about her hip size. But most guys just like that hourglass shape.

• its associated with fertility.

• not big hips.. proportionate and curvy turns me on

• Big hips = big booty

• Nothing. I like tight round little butts.
    66.media.tumblr.com/.../...mbabcP1s7nvgzo1_500.jpg

• Just a preference.

• Biologically, larger hips make childbirth easier. Attraction to wider hips is innate, many men are attracted to them as a result of evolution. Similar to how a lot of girls are attracted to pronounced jawlines, muscles, traditional "masculine" traits, etc.

• Child birthing

• Big hips are appealing to men for the same reason why big dicks are appealing to women.

• Gives them that hourglass figure

• Big booty, curves and higher fertility.

What Girls Said 7

• Meh, I think they look good, both on myself and other women. Besides, they're useful, I get to prop up a lot of stuff on these babies :P I do bump into a lot of things though.

• Usually women with big hips have a big ass. (I would know huehuehuehue)

• They're only appealing if she's got a nice hip to waist ratio.

Otherwise nah.

• Birthin hips

• Curves are attractive.

• wide set hips generally meant a better survival rate for off spring and mother... it was a sign of healthy offspring and healthy care giver... it's an evolutionary thing.

• Just looks good