Some people (conservatives in particular) like to explain how awesome the 1950s were and how much they wish things would go back to what they used to be. So what do you think? If it was possible to have such a society in America tomorrow, would you want to live in it?
Here's a few important points for you as to what this society would look like:
- Feminism is practically inexistent. Though women have the right vote in theory, they're discouraged from speaking about politics ("a lady doesn't talk about these things). Women consider their husband as boss/leader in the house and submit to him. As a woman you'd be staying home, caring for the kids and the house chores while your husband goes to work. Having children is very much encouraged by society but having them out of wedlock is considered shameful. Female sexuality is expected to be in the possession of the husband and only be practiced in marriage.
- Society is still heavily segregated between black and white. This includes separate universities, separate stores and separate water fountains.
- Homosexuality and Bisexuality are considered diseases. Straight people never have to worry that their children might hear about these things because they're so heavily stigmatized and sometimes, openly gay people are even killed.
- Society is much more religious than it is today
- At the same time, society is also much more coherent. Social pressures to behave well are still much higher and individualism less prevalent.
- Society is much more economically equal than it is now. Rich people pay large amounts of taxes (up to 90%). The government uses this money to fund big projects such as the GI-bill that guarantees financial security to many lower and middle class folks. Though economic gaps do exist, they're much smaller. Everyone can buy a car or a nice house. Well, at least if you're white and a man.
- Yes, give me the 1950s back!26% (14)30% (14)28% (28)Vote
- No thanks, I prefer 2016.74% (40)70% (33)72% (73)Vote
Most Helpful Girl
Most Helpful Guy
Non conforming people are picked on by the majority, there was groups such as greasers and nerds who had no social protection. Police violence was worse then today, and little or no oversite. Also there is the constant threat of Communism, and fear of nuclear oblivion. Socially men have a responsibility for all of the families expenses, and if he can not meet them then his entire family starves.
Many people look back with rose colored glasses. The 50's were probably one of the most socially repressive times for men and women. I certainly wouldn't want to go back.6
- Show AllShow Less