Would you want to live in a society that resembles the 1950s in America?

Some people (conservatives in particular) like to explain how awesome the 1950s were and how much they wish things would go back to what they used to be. So what do you think? If it was possible to have such a society in America tomorrow, would you want to live in it?

Here's a few important points for you as to what this society would look like:
- Feminism is practically inexistent. Though women have the right vote in theory, they're discouraged from speaking about politics ("a lady doesn't talk about these things). Women consider their husband as boss/leader in the house and submit to him. As a woman you'd be staying home, caring for the kids and the house chores while your husband goes to work. Having children is very much encouraged by society but having them out of wedlock is considered shameful. Female sexuality is expected to be in the possession of the husband and only be practiced in marriage.
- Society is still heavily segregated between black and white. This includes separate universities, separate stores and separate water fountains.
- Homosexuality and Bisexuality are considered diseases. Straight people never have to worry that their children might hear about these things because they're so heavily stigmatized and sometimes, openly gay people are even killed.
- Society is much more religious than it is today
- At the same time, society is also much more coherent. Social pressures to behave well are still much higher and individualism less prevalent.
- Society is much more economically equal than it is now. Rich people pay large amounts of taxes (up to 90%). The government uses this money to fund big projects such as the GI-bill that guarantees financial security to many lower and middle class folks. Though economic gaps do exist, they're much smaller. Everyone can buy a car or a nice house. Well, at least if you're white and a man.

So?

• Yes, give me the 1950s back!
  • No thanks, I prefer 2016.

Most Helpful Girl

• As a bisexual, biracial female no. I mean I liked the fashion, the music and I'm pretty sure people were more faithful (dont hold me to that statement). But no, I would have a bad time in the 50s.

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/70769768.jpg

dont vote democrat. they are the ones that did this.

sweet i know plenty of gay right wingers. the word conservative and liberal i dont like because the meanings of them change.

@dudeman I see, well I'd like to think of myself as a nice conservative. However certain types of liberals piss me off lol

Most Helpful Guy

• Non conforming people are picked on by the majority, there was groups such as greasers and nerds who had no social protection. Police violence was worse then today, and little or no oversite. Also there is the constant threat of Communism, and fear of nuclear oblivion. Socially men have a responsibility for all of the families expenses, and if he can not meet them then his entire family starves.

Many people look back with rose colored glasses. The 50's were probably one of the most socially repressive times for men and women. I certainly wouldn't want to go back.

Communism is a good keyword. Intellectuals, teachers and journalists were also fired and in some cases prosecuted and imprisoned, simply for being suspected of having communist views.

@JRICHARDS1996 But being bullied is not exactly the same as federal police officer bringing you to a court where you get sentenced to several years of prison. I think we can agree on that. Also, I feel sorry for the Dean of Harvard but one guy doesn't yet make it systematic. McCarthyism was systematic.

thanks for MHO

What Girls Said 20

• Pros:
    Middle class had more power.
    The lack of immigrants from Asia made college what it should be and not so competitive.
    Society is much more economically liberal
    Feminism doesn't exist

Cons:
    Being bisexual I'd never explore that side of me. I'd probably never know I had that side of me to begin with though. But you need to get your facts right gays were executed only in Britain not in the US.
    Females don't have much working power

Ultimately it's the last point of females not having working power swayed me to the modern day but besides that the 50s were a better time. What people tend to forget is that bisexuality especially is brought upon this social stigma of everything being okay. We think after all if it's okay why not to experiment. Also for many people it was not even an idea then so they couldn't have Even thought of it or saw it as a mental illness. So that isn't that big of a problem

I'm not talking about executions, I'm talking about lynchings. There were tons of gay lynchings in the 1950s. Also, Great Britain didn't execute people simply for being gay in the 1950s.

@JRICHARDS1996 Hell those were the gold old days. If only we still did that. At the least start sterilizing welfare recipients so they can't breed and make more welfare recipients. Make it a requirement to get food stamps instead of pay them more to have more kids then that black hole of a money pit would eventually go away.

Of course in the 1950's there were no food stamps or welfare so I guess they did it for different reasons.

• Considering that my mum does not look white what so ever, my family would have problems in the neighbourhood. Despite me looking white I still probably wouldn't be accepted in society because of my mother, and I probably wouldn't be accepted by people of colour either because they'd see me as white.
    And really never mind about being a house wife, house chores back then was one hell of a workload (without all the dishwashing/clothes washing machines and all), plus I'd rather have a job I'm passionate about than do boring chores at home.

Yes, that's a good point about the house chores I didn't even think about. My mom told me that when she was a child (late 1950s), her grandma would take her down to the nearby lake once a week, where my grandma filled a large wooden pot with water, put all the clothes in and scrubbed them on one of those old, wooden laundry boards. Afterwards they laid the clothes on the grass to dry a bit and then hung them up. That whole procedure would take the whole morning. No wonder my grandma employed a lady to do these kinda things once my grandparents were sort of well off financially. It's crazy how much easier things have become...

Sounds like she was just cheap. My grandma had an old electric washer that had a wringer on the back of it (you cranked that by had to squeeze the water out of clothes and pulled a plug on bottom to empty it). A friend sold it to her when the Depression was getting bad in the early 1930's (grandpa was a coal miner so kept his job). She used that thing for 45+ years before the motor bearing finally went out and forced her to get a Maytag in the 70's (I was 5-7 at the time so turned it into part of my playhouse I built out of junk in the backyard). They don't make things like they used to.

• Really? Wow I can't believe how many people would rather live in the 50s vs now. I know it's only 21% but geez I was expecting like just one or two idiots. I usually don't take a firm stance on things but really? You guys want segregation? No rights for lgbt? A glass ceiling in every workplace besides a burlesque show? Fuck you people! seriously!

Yeah, I was also quite shocked. I'm thinking about asking more of these controversial questions with polls just to see how many people would say yes to something if they don't have to openly admit to it...

• Nah, I will pass

• I'm a black female.
    FUCK. NO.

• Hell no!! As a female and a lesbian, my life would suck.

• Fffffffuck no.

• God no.

• The best part is that the middle class had more power, but that's not enough. I will stay in the current era.

• 2016 have more pros than the 1950s. I choose 2016.

• As a young black female my answer to that is...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4WO0mirjlQ

He sounds quite happy though ;-)

• sounds like my own personal hell.

• Absolutely NOT.

• Fuck that

• I could see me in a poodle skirt and saddle shoes having fun, fun, fun till daddy took my t-bird away. I think I'd fit in well with the 50's. After all I was born in the 50's!

• 50's. So tired of all the crap that's been going on latley. With BLM, feminist, the election, killing babies. We need serious help.

• I liked some of the music from the 50s, but thanks for the reality check.

• There were some good things like the fashion. However, I will choose 2016.

• Yes yes please, take me back their now!
    Also the fashion :)

• Yes, give me the 1950s back! No work for me just home. That's perfect :)

What Guys Said 25

• Fuck no. The 1950s is horrible.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc6VP7Qp-Y8

• Since trickle down economics didn't exist yet, the middle class had more buying power.

www.baconsrebellion.com/.../trickle-down.jpg

• 1950s in terms of how the economy was functioning... but on social values and justice absolutely not.

You can't have your cake and eat it too, especially if the economy functioned the way it did due in part to the social values of the day. I'll take the 1950's economy (lowest unemployment the country has ever seen: 2.5% in 1953) even if it meant going back to the old ways as well (racial segregation, lynchings, homosexuality still being being considered a disease and illegal, etc).

@fuqthegovt The economy doing well had nothing to do with any of these things. It had to do with world war two. And the fact that middle class Americans did better in those days had to do with the fact that there were more socialist elements and rich people couldn't just pick up all the wealth and fart into other people's faces.

thank you. @fuqthegovt there is nothing to suggest that the lack of civil rights 10s of millions of Americans lacked somehow benefitted the economy. the same scenario was present in the 1930s when the economy crashed so clearly we can't say that somehow access to Civil Rights destroyed our economy... the economy fluctuates for tons of reasons least of which being civil rights, racial harmony, etc

• The 50s was about denial, keeping up a wholesome appearance that was a lie.

Teens still had sex and got pregnant, adults still went to swingers parties or had affairs, people were still gay or lesbian, interracial relationships still happened. People drank, did drugs, looked at porn, slept around.

Everyone knew it happened, but it wasn't talked about in polite company. Life wasn't Leave It To Beaver.

unemployment in 1953 was the lowest it's ever been (2.5%). That's good enough reason, everything else be dammed. I guess the fact women kept their pubes back then is a bonus.

@fuqthegovt That has more to do with the fact that the rest of the world was still largely blown up than the fact that men smoked a pipe and choked down their wife's meatloaf.

Fast forward 20 years and manufacturing starts going overseas, the big problems start and never go away.

• The 1950s were awesome... if you were a white protestant Christian male. If you weren't, things were a lot tougher.

• The fact that I'm black is all the reason I need to not want to live in that era again. But to add, society today isn't perfect, but at least it's not as backwards as it was back then.

• Men were EXPECTED to get married. EXPECTED to provide for a woman and kids. EXPECTED to sacrifice themselves in every way imaginable for said family. EXPECTED to line up to get sent off to die in other countries to enrich the banksters.

If a man didn't meet these expectations, he was denied employment, denied housing, shunned by society, perhaps even imprisoned on made-up charges or just killed outright.

Nowadays, I can remain single and child-free, spend my time and money how I want to, bang as many women as I want, and I won't be subjected to the same abuse that men in the 50's would. I'm not treated like there's something wrong with me since I don't want to get married; indeed, more and more men are figuring out that I made a smart decision to not fall into that trap again.

There's really nothing that the 50's, or a society that's like the 50's, has to offer me that I consider appealing. I don't give a fuck about society, so how cohesive it is means nothing to me.

• Heck no. The people that want to live in the past always fail.

Yeah as if all change is good. We are going to fail anyway when the resources run out. Better to be stuck in the 1950's even if it means repeating 1950-1959 over and over again like Groundhog Day.

• Sure being a straight white male I could do ok for myself but the idea that there would be others that would be mistreated around me simply for the colour of their skin or sexual preference disgusts me.
    Plus my views on the role of women are that exact opposite of the patriarchal 1950s. I would want a strong confident woman with a decent job and not a girl that just says "yes sir" all the time.
    All these views could have me labelled as a communist especially since I don't believe in God.

No thanks. A visit would be interesting but to stay there would suck.
    That was literally the home of white privilege not the phony one SJWs think exists today.

• Absolutely but with the sole exception of the segregation part. Racism is stupid though I agree that a common culture is important. Plus I'm a Mexican and I'm marrying a White woman no matter what the neocons tell me. I long for a return to a conservative society where I can have a family, take care of my wife, and practice my religion freely. No more political correctness, liberal insanity, sexual perversions, and destructive 'progressive' policies undermining the traditional family unit.

In what way is your family unit threatened by gay marriage (I'm assuming that is what you mean by "sexual perversions")?

• I'm perfectly fine with that kind of society with the exception the racism of course.

• Nah, you can. However, I will stay in the 21st century

• as long as the democrats are not there lynching blacks and treating them bad sure it would be great.

• Some of those things would be great to have back.

• No, never.

• No, we shouldn't. Since the 1950's were far more racist against minorities like me.

• Ah 1950s, beginning of the industrial revolution... full of hope and dreams and women were still dateable lol

Yes and no. Yes if u want that family life

• I'd love it. So much simpler, I'd do pretty well.

• The cars are cool but other than that I would hate it.

• It would be alright as long as the many forms of bigotry are removed. The good things were lower cost of living and less crime.

• You mean before fags took over? Hell yeah give me 1950's back, with 2016 tech would be a bonus.

What's wrong with fags? Did one accidentally stick his penis in your butt? And in what way did they "take over"?

And how many people do you expect to do this? All 320M Americans? It's just not gonna happen, probably ever. You might as well ask people to ignore public pedophilia even if that somehow were legalized (if homosexuality can go from outlawed to protected in just a few decades I wouldn't put it past the retards in DC with their convoluted logic).

I'm starting to think you're a troll. Cuz if you're not, you're a very, very bitter man.

• In America in the 50's, the income tax rate for the rich, was close to 90%.

Modern conservatives always seem to forget that part.

• Lol it's not just conservatives , it's every damn person. They seriously think that life in the 50s was amazing and continue to romanticize the damn decade

• No thanks, I prefer 2016.

• I would like to live in the 1600s to 1700s and be a pirate.
    I don't like our society now, and it would be less complicated back then. You know, plus all the robbing and murdering. That would fun.