Anyone else sick of the times we live in?

The times we live in are really making me sick, literally, my mental health is dropping day-to-day. I'm only 18, but I've started to notice the world around me in an eye opening sort of way that my pears just don't seem to get. Every day I wake up and go to school and all I see is teenagers disrespecting their elders/teachers, they're always on their phones taking selfies/snapchats/or on social media, they listen to terrible pop music that all sounds the same, they're always swearing, partying and drinking and on and on and on. And it's the same when I get home as well. My mother just sits with her computer on her lap, her phone by her side, and the TV in front of her. I can't even have a conversation with her as she's too distracted to even notice I'm trying to talk to her. It takes minutes to capture her attention. My half-sibling are terrible as well (aged 7 and 9). They just sit in front of the TV watching movies all day or they're on their tablet or phone. They're not experiencing life. I'm just sick of this world we live in at the moment. Everyone is so vacant. I feel like I'm the only one trying to talk with other people but they're just consumed by all of this technology. And it's also the movies nowadays, they almost all suck. The prequels/sequels/reboots/superhero films etcetera. Anyone else feeling the same way? It's just so hard to connect with people. Everything about these times is depressing. It's driving me insane. I just want to go and live in a cabin in the woods for the rest of my life away from civilization. I've already stopped going to school (I'm in my last year of high school) because it's becoming too much. It's sickening. It's infectious.

Most Helpful Girl

• There were moments that I felt the same way as you.
    But I realise that there are people who feel the same way as us. We just need to find each other.
    And look, you have found many on here.
    Plus, you know that these times are sickening and depressing, you are aware of this. Then why don't you go out and do something instead of sitting here and being so pessimistic?
    For example: I often go strolling through the streets at night, admiring the beauty of electric light everywhere haha. Or discover new food or tradition cusines that i have never tried out. And many more.
    But I think that people at my place are still very friendly and have not yet been like what u said ( except for the a small part of young people )
    Wanna go out for a coffee? Haha

Most Helpful Guy

• Agree with you, but don't let it get to you too much (for your own sanity). I've often thought the very same thing, I'd like to live in a cabin it the mountains somewhere away from everyone! Assuming I had everything I needed to survive lol. I often prefer my own company over others, especially in today's world where people are glued to their phones. Very disrespectful I feel.

What Girls Said 9

• Society kinda sucks. I'm just playing the game long enough to get me some cash so I can go buy a place in the middle of nowhere. I was raised on the outskirts of normal society and I've never felt happy fully immersing myself in it.

Try not to get down about it, you're old enough now to start making your own way in life and figuring out how you want to live. You are not alone but in the minority.

• You be you. So what if your perspective is different, if nobody else wants to 'experience' life then too bad for them. Live your own life no need to worry about the rest of the world. Eventually you will find people that have a similar opinion to yours, trust me people like that are still out there :)

• Thank you for posting this! I feel the same exact way. And I've always felt depressed and like the outcast because of it. PM me if you want.

• What's wrong with pop music it's just as good or better then the dumbass rock or metal music or whatever existed in the 90s. And sometimes teachers are pieces of shit who deserve to be disrespected because they're using their power to make the lives of students horrible. You're right about selfies though.

Music up until the 80's beats anything out today.

Beatles are great. Revolver is their best album in my opinion.

I hate the Beatles I don't know why they're so popular.

• I dont surround myself with people who drink/party/smoke or people who are consumed by their phones or computers or whatnot. There are people out there that care about the world around them, you just have to find them

But there's also general stuff that you can't escape from. Like when I walk down the street everyone's on their phones, you walk through town there's teenagers swearing etcetera, you walk into a store and there's terrible music playing, you walk by the cinema and there's those terrible movies playing. Even if I found people like you say you surround yourself with, I still will experience all the things I mentioned above. I don't surround myself with people like that at the moment but I'm still effected.

You can't change that, you just have to change your friends

But changing my friends isn't enough for me, it's not solving the problem :/

• Well, I wish more people could be in connection with nature

• Lol you stopped going to school and feel mentally unhealthy because *other* people have bad taste in activities? What's that gotta do with you?

• Yes however my reasons aren't necessarily the same as yours.

• You are experiencing these things because you are living in the inner city where no one gives a shit about each other. You don't have to live in a cabin in the woods. If you were to live in a small country town where there are not a lot of people, you would find things very different. I found that where there are not a lot of people, people are a lot more friendly because of the isolation. They need to socialize with other people. The country sounds like just thing for you.

What Guys Said 7

• How about start drinking? I found drinking really helped me when I was feeling that way.

You find lots of people who love to socialize and dance and sing and have sex when drinking and won't just be watching television or playing with cell phones, and everything is more fun when drinking.

Even doing things like watching sunsets is kind of boring to me, but when drunk and with friends it's pretty awesome.

Can do fun things like go camping with friends, get drunk, have sex under the stars. It's a gateway to a lot of social things and might help you immerse yourself with people who just love to experience life's small pleasures, away from electronic equipment.

Lol promoting alcoholism

@pooper89 Best thing ever for me! Smoking really sucked in retrospect. But alcohol was the best. I think I'd still be one of those who just watches TV all the time otherwise.

• Life is what you make it.

• And I am just being tossed here and there whereever the flow directs me to. It's out of my control. I live life as time passes by and I can't get a grip on it either.

I am coping with it on what I have left.
    I am sick too but I started to believe in fates. Sooner or later the inevitable will come to me. Until then I do what I can.

• No. Live and let live.

• not at all, this our time!

• I feel the exact same way man.

• Destruction of the family through feminism... that is the biggest evil in this world.