How do I tell my parents that I met someone online?

I'm sorry this sounds so stupid and I'm a loser, but I've been talking to this guy I met on an app for a while and I don't know how to tell my parents. I feel so embarrassed saying I talk to people online (yeah I am right now) and I don't really think they'd approve or want me to hang out with someone I met online no matter how safe I think it is. My parents definitely over worry about things and make a big deal about things I wish they wouldn't, and this is one of them. This guy is totally harmless, I actually met him in person once and didn't exactly tell my parents (I know it's terrible and it's eating me alive). I can't lie to them, but dammit I feel like I can't tell them about this either. So if anyones been in a similar situation or has some pro tips, it would be much appreciated. Thank you all

Most Helpful Guy

• Just tell them you met him at ______name of app____. You don't need to tell them that it was online. Make the app sound like a hangout spot.

Most Helpful Girl

• Lmao I have been in this situation.

I just told them we met through friends. However... it ate me alive for years, I gotta admit. We broke up after a year anyway and my parents still to this day think we met through friends. However, he told his parents the truth. So i was always afraid the truth will come out.

He turned out to be psycho anyway. Just be really, REALLY careful. No matter how safe you think it is, most of the time, the people looking online are not able to get into relationships in real life for a REASON. Be careful and whenever you go somewhere with him, let a friend know where you will be and text them.

Just trust me on this. I should have listened to my own advice back then when I was thinking like you and was 120% sure he was normal and completely safe. I fell in love with him stupidly and should have seen the signs in the beginning.

Please just listen to this advice.

Wow, thank you for this. I don't see any dangerous signs or anything. I don't really think either of us was on the app looking for a relationship, but he just caught feelings and he's a nice dude. I'm surprised someone else has been in this situation haha

I totally understand. Thank you for the advice, I'll sure be careful

yknow why people online aren't able to get into a relationship in person? cuz they never try.

What Guys Said 7

• Why do you have to tell them you met online? Tell them you chat online with him. The one time you met him in person is technically the first time you actually met. It says here that you're 18. Not a whole lot they can say about who chat online with.

Because I actually did meet him online and saying anything else would be a lie and I don't want to be a liar

• Just take a picture of him in front of his car with his license plate showing and save that for them so they will feel more reassured that you will be safe.
    Even offer to take one of those little tracking devices with you that are sold on Amazon to reassure them. There's really nothing more you could do than that.

Parents will always worry for your safety. That is their job.
    Meeting people in person is just as dangerous as meeting them online. People can lie with their mouth just as esily as they can with a keyboard.

oh yeah perfect!! "hey, can I take a quick pic of your license plate?"

oh that sounds so much better!! "can I take a pic of you in front of your car"

Yep, I think it's one of the best safety things someone can do whether they met someone online or in person. That way if something happened, there is a picture of the person, their transportation, and the license plate makes it so police could get their address too if necessary. That's about as secure as you can get, and to them, it won't even seem like something is up at all.

• 'over worry' it's not over worrying really, tons of creeps.
    If you've hungout before, whats it matter? Hangout a few more times, you don't have to tell them if it only lasts as a 1 month fling, I wouldn't

• They live in 2016, so do you. Tell them, I am sure things will turn out just fine.

• Why do your parents need to know that?

• You met a catfish sorry to say

• That's why I quit talking online now

What Girls Said 7

• No, @Justme0333, Not 'Stupid and I'm a loser.' I, myself, as Silly as many people may think it is, Flew out to Egypt a Few years back when I had Met a man who Found me on Fb, and it was then, that we had began a Whirl Wind Romance by Chance.
    Before you Begin your Beguine of even Talking to your parents, make sure First that You know that your new Man is going to Pan out. Nurse and Nurture Something Special with him and if you Feel then it is a real Deal, I am sure your own Folks will be easily Convinced.
    As far as my own Romance, we Ended up Tying the Knot at the Ministry of Justice and I had Remained for awhile. However, being back in the States, we finally became Estranged. You have at least a Good shot that is Better for you because you are Both in the Same place together, which can make it Easier to be Together More.
    Good luck. xx

• I met my husband online. I lied to my parents and told them I met him at school but only after we made things official. It didn't feel so bad to be honest because the online interaction with him only lasted a few days. I met him in person after four days of the initial online messaging, and we made it official by the end of a month or two. It's been five years since but I think my parents found out the truth about a year or two after our relationship and by that time they knew him enough not to care. My advice to you is to think about the current relationship you have with this guy. Is it worth the risk and guilt of lying to your parents? Really think about if online dating is even for you. I've met several people who have been successful at it, but they are usually older or in a position where they're more willing to actually meet in person. Online dating is not for you if you spend more time communicating behind a screen versus actually meeting the person.

• Well all parents will be overprotective of their child ESPECIALLY when its someone their daughter met online. SO... I have met someone online before and I told my mom about him how I met a sweet and an intelligent guy through an online forum (which was true). She asked about him, she was actually okay with it. But you're 18, pretty young. I was 20 when I met him. So if you DO plan to meet him and IF they approve, meet in public.

And you're not a loser... we like what we like.

• Well just lie the once. I did then as they met them a couple times, began to like them then explain as by then they can see what the persons like

• I've been there. Tell your parents you've been talking to a guy, and you'd like them to meet him... it's gonna be hard anyway, but be honest

• Well ur an adult so there's nothing they can do about it but personally i wouldn't say anything just yet

• "Hey mom... Dad... I met someone online... Okay... bye"