Do you think it's a good idea to introduce technology to children at a young age?

By this, I mean television, smart phones, tablets, computers, etc.

Please explain why and/or why not.

• Yes
  • Maybe/Depends
  • No
  • Other/Results

Most Helpful Girl

• Early exposure to technology is good since the world is heading into the modern/science era. But exposing and spoiling the young minds are two different things we need to be careful about. Exposing is giving the kids guidance and full instructions on how to use it, when to use it, the importance of it, what sites you should go to, etc.

But spoiling is handing over the whole freedom of roaming through the internet, doing useless, non-beneficial and self-destructive activities like endless, non-educational videos, games, etc.

What Guys Said 30

• Yes but with limits. The modern world is all about technology. The earlier they learn to use it, the better adapted to the world they will be. BUT it has to be within reason - the benefits of also learning naturalistic stuff are great as well. I guess the best way to compensate is to just set a limit - spend the day outside, come home read a book and then you can log on. Simple.

• We're a technology driven world, so yes. I also feel that it should be in doses and metered... not "here's an iPad go learn how to be socially inept because you never dealt with anyone face-to-face".

• Yes because our world is going to be increasingly driven by technology. The digital and physical world is going to be blended more and more. We are still at the bottom of the bell curve of technology and it's going to explode even more in the coming years. It will be coming at such a dizzying pace that if kids aren't exposed to technology they will fall behind. I won't allow that to happen to my kids.

• In moderation, yes. As much downsides technology brings with it, it also has plenty of upsides and is important for the next generations to understand.

Though personally I wouldn't let my kids watch TV. I would get chosen movies and TV series, but would keep them from all the moronic TV shows and advertisements.

• When it comes to pieces of technology I think that until you can pay for it yourself, you shouldn't get it.

• Yes, but with time limitations. Also Television needs its content filtered, garbage shows aren't a good influence.

• Yes, it is, the world is becoming so tech dependent its best to give them an edge of course you need to add limits, make sure they play outside and such but having them be tech savy is a good thing,
    Of course when puberty come you won't realize they are watching porn but that is the price you pay

• Yes. We got our first game system when I was 2, our first computer when I was 5... it gave me a technical aptitude that has served me very well ever since.

• Any child i have will not have their own computer unless school provided until that kid reaches 16, Same for a smart phone, or tablet. All too often i see kids sitting outside not playing like i used to, but faces in an ipad or smart phone. That having been said i will make sure my kid does know how to use a computer at a young age.

• They dont have a choice
    If you aren't tech savvy, how can you work in todays society?
    It is sad because I think technology is a positive force that is often mismanaged and can really effect parenting.

I will give future children a computer, smart-phone etc, but not a gaming system

• No, i will not give them tablets at younger age.
    They are getting pencils, papers, and other crazy stuff, like 5000 lego boxes, and other physical objects to interact.

I want them to create a bound with the physical world before they get advanced tools.
      It's way better for their development.

• HELL NO
    Kids are already growing up dependant on technology, I will make damn sure my kids (assuming I have any) grow up knowing how to function without that crap.
    They will play outside like kids are supposed to.

• Maybe. My granddaughter thinks 55" TVs are touch screens because she's so used to playing with smartphones and other TFT devices. :-(

• I believe that at maybe 7 or 8 I'll be showing my kids the computer unless they're required for school

• The elite dont allow their kids to play woth ipads for more than 2 hours a day sometimes

They know something we dont

• The faster you get them familiar with the tech of their future the better. Old folks may say "when I was young I played outside" but these same
    old folks call me over to show them how to turn their computer on. If you don't understand tech today the world will fuck you over.

• yes, i want my children to be up to date with technology but they are not getting their personal devices until the come of age.

• Ehh I guess, but I wouldn't want the phone or tablet to take my role as a parent. That would be irresponsible of me.

• Not fond of kids having tablets and phones and junk. Seems a bit goofy.

• Depends on what kind

• Good luck keeping them away from it.

• It's going to be a part of life for them when they get older. They might as well start to understand it when they are young. Your job as a parent is to monitor HOW MUCH exposure they are getting.

• Based on my personal experience, I only really needed a phone once I got into High School. I will give a phone to my kid once they could possibly be in a situation where they can't contact me and I don't know where they are.

• Yes, the future revolves around technology so they must know or learn about it.

• Tell them when they are interest in that

• Yes, it's 2016

• Honestly. When I have kids (Hopefully a boy and a girl) I will slowly introduce them to technology from the 90's like the gameboy and game cube and slowly work my way up. Just so they have an appreciation for that sorta stuff.

The game cube was first released in 2001.

Yea but either way I'd work my kid up to modern tech.

I've actually heard about a parent who did that to his son. I believe he started with Nintendo classics, and went up to modern games, like for the Xbox. His son ended up preferring the earlier games, but still liked the newer ones. It was interesting.

• Maybe/Depends

• Yes. It's how the world works.

• no, its bad for its brain.

What Girls Said 22

• Not a good idea. God forbid they touch something they shouldn't, change something so important, or get electrocuted by something, let alone shocked. Nowadays a lot of parents are not watching their children. Some will get extremely spoiled and unhealthy attached to those objects. Kids are indeed smart, yes. And some will get into anything no matter what you do, yes. But we are responsible to things we expose them to. I even saw a child who was so obsessed with a tablet to watch cartoons, he wouldn't give it back to his mother. He began moving it away from her grasp, and all she did was become frustrated and leave him alone.

A friend of mine's son wanted to see the pictures on my phone, and I held it with both hands showing him. He wanted to phone for himself, and tried to take it away all while in front of my friend, his mom. I told him, no. I hold the phone and he can look. He still tried to take the phone. So what I did was removed the phone from his sight and told him to behave or he won't see it. It also depends on the development of your child. I already knew how to operate VHS tapes and turning on the TV back then before 1 years old. But I also learned to grow obsess with it. These days most technologies are too additive. Think about the smartphone addition these days. I'm sure you don't want to encourage those habits on your children to the point they won't heed to authority, and when no means NO.

So until they show signs of maturity and trustworthiness of handling it, which could be at any young age, it shouldn't be encouraged. And it is not healthy for a developing brain of a child to be so depended on it. Especially when they refuse to go outside and be like normal kids.

• No because they will stop having a childhood.. If you hand them a tablet they will be playing sport games on the tablet not having to go outside... I saw this little girl about 5 years old dressing up characters on the computer I think she would be better off dressing up an actual doll not a virtual one... I think children will have more fun having to go outside and play tag rather than using a social media app that will only distract them from the real world and could probably isolate them from social encounters... Children need to develop the way anyone else started and then later on someone could introduce technology to them..

• I think it's fine, but I don't think parents should let it take over their lives. Technology is okay in moderation, but kids should still be encouraged to play outside or with their toys or board games. I know people who let their kids play on tablets all the time.

• the tv? no, everything else? yes, no better time to expose human's to technology than while they're still children because at this age they learn extremely fast when they're interested (which is also why children's games are also absurdly academic)

• Nope because I have seen the difference between kids who were exposed to tv , IPad etc at an early age and kids who were not exposed to such things at an early age.

• Esp smartphones they should not be texting from a young aged whatever happened to reading books to kids?

• Depends, I started using a computer (Windows 2000) when I was two years old because my parents had CDs for me to help to start learning my ABCs and 123s. I also started reading at two because of the computer programs.
    For smartphones, wait at least until they are older.

• I think a balance is what's needed. I'll let my kids watch movies and tv, not all the time obviously, but some of the time and I think using a computer should be allowed from the age of like 5 but no personal devices until they are around 10 or 12. There's no need for a kid to have their own Iphone or tablet when they're like 8. That's stupid.

• I put maybe. I am willing to allow my kids to watch some tv but as babies/ very young kids they will not be getting ipads or anything like it. I seen the way my own siblings are, they don't even play with their toys and barely go outside to play. I was always out at their age and always played with my toys even up at 13 I still had strollers and doll and other toys, I didn't care. The generation growing up now are like zombies.

• I say it depends, not all children should be introduced to tech at the same age.
    My 6yo got her iPad when she was 2, after she lost her voice.

• Yes however I wouldn't let my kids constantly on technology like some parents do or I'll see kids throw tantrums and the parents would give them technology to have them stop I don't agree with that.

• Absolutely not. I hate the fact that I got addicted to a computer at such a young age, and discovered some shit a 8-9 year should NOT discover.

• My kids will only be watching TV until they are at least 6 years old. I think little kids should interact with the outside world more than a lot of them do today.

• No, maybe tvs are OK but everything else is a bit much. I'd rather the play outside or do something more productive

• It if is used educationally yes

• Yes but limited so they don't depend on it.

• I believe that baby is already capable of handling all but they want to keep their innocent when they are young so make it safe for children not to exposed to porn and things by parental restrictions

• There are studies that show kids of today are not socially aware as they should be. I mean they don't have proper communication skills. Learning everything from watching sluts on tv to idiotic televisions shows have an affect on kids. I believe in balance its ok for them to have an hour or two on the computer or tablet, but five or 8 hours is too much for young kids. They either stay in the house too muc which is bad because kids need physical activities. Or there language skills have improved in a horrible way with profanity and "slang". There should be balance everything in moderation is always good.

• no, they basically have access to the whole word, you see some crazy shit on the Internet/on tv. My cousin came over the other day telling me he was gay and I told him he's not and he said he was joking but he saw a gay scene in a show. That shit gets to little kids heads, and no offense to gay people at all, I have gay friends. I'm just saying I don't think technology is necessary for kids. Also I remember going through my friends 7year old brothers history and I saw porn on there. Horrible. I think kids should play with action figures, dolls, bikes, and things like that, THAT was fun! Instead of just sitting at home all day being lazy and on their phones. Also if a little boy wanted to play with more girl stuff than boy stuff that'd be okay, because they wouldn't know and the Internet wouldn't influence him to question his/her sexuality.

sorry that was all over the place haha^^

It's okay. I wanted people to talk about it.

• Everything in moderation.

• Only in moderation. There are numerous studies that screen time is killing our attention spans.

• No I think it is a bad idea