Why do only women give birth?

hi
i am asking this as i have always wondered why it is only females that give birth i mean is there a reason be hide it or is it just the way we are or is there a reason be hide why we evolved to have only females carry and birth baby's and not both genders

and sorry if this is a dumb thing to ask but i just wonder sometimes

Most Helpful Guy

• You're looking at this the wrong way. It's not that "only females give birth", but more like "there are two sets of humans - the ones that give birth and the ones that inseminate." And the ones giving birth are classified as female. If men were to give birth, they wouldn't be men. Their anatomy is not meant for it. To reconstruct a man in a way that would allow him to give birth would be to make him in to a female.

i was asking what advantage does it give us to be this way

Thanks.

np u made the most sense out of all the guys

Most Helpful Girl

• Because males have been the fighters and protectors while women are the protected (that is protecting the baby). It would be a weakness for a hunter/fighter (male) to carry a baby so I'm guessing that's why only women have uteruses whereas men have bigger muscles.

Other animals in the world have different roles, like clownfishes can change genders.

that makes a lot of sense thank u

how u have to be follwing me for me to do that lol

erm do u mind sending the first message as my xper is to low lol sorry

What Guys Said 14

• If you're asking why we have two sexes, it's because that's the minimum number you can have and still have one sex be disposable. If you're asking why we don't only have one sex, the reason is unknown, but it may represent a way to improve the rate of competition within a species by using one sex as the expendable competitive part (males) and allow the females to breed freely. As to why males do not (in most cases) bear young, its probably because then they would be forced to compete through childbearing and would be unavailable to compete in other arenas.

• It's based on how our DNA is paired through sexual reproduction (I'm long removed from Biology Class, but that must have something to do with it).

Unless the species is asexual, a male and female is required to reproduce. The female will always bear the offspring.

That second part isn't correct. Many species, such as snails, are male and female at the same time (I forgot the correct term for this) and thus they can make themselves pregnant (clone, if you will).

@BlueCoyote hermaphroditic organisms have both male and female organs which was why I phrased it the way I did. But i see where you are coming from.

not in all species. For example in seahorses and pipefish, the male gives birth.

• If you want to read in detail!.. I will be more then happy!.. To guide you to a series of correct books and pages to study!.. Knowledge is power!.. Don't hesitate to message me in inbox!..
    If you ask now you will be enlightened soon.!. But if you don't ask you will remain a fool forever

• Maybe mother nature split the roles of hunting, gathering, fighting and protective and giving birth, nuturing and caring and gave it to genders that just happened to be males and females

• Because when pregnant you can't do physical stuff as well. The men still needed to hunt for food. If both were pregnant and couldn't hunt well, they'd starve.

• Mother Nature said so.

but what is the advantage to having it this way

The advantage? We've survived thousands of years. Mother Nature knows what's up.

• If a male were able to be pregnant while out on the hunt, that would make things a bit difficult. It would also be inefficient to have both genders be able.

but why as each gender could take it in turns to carry a baby so one would always be ready to hunt

Hmm, I always forget who has what. Mostly because insecure people like to argue about them.

I think one natural ability for men is the ability to focus sharply on something while excluding the excess information.

i think u are right

• Both genders can't do it because then nobody can defend the more vulnerable one

• Cause it would rip a penis apart and it would never recover and a dick hole is like a million times smaller than a vagina hole

• Say what? O_o

• well technically speaking you need a guy to get pregnant in the first place

• bc we have no wombs

• Because they're biologically made for it lmao

• Seriously? Ignorant with a Capital K!!!

yeah, you probably won't get it, like half of the others

With a capital k? Lol

Then I apologize, and wish you well, and hope you feel better soon. :)

thank u and it is ok as u did not know

What Girls Said 10

• There is no such thing as evolution. Women are genetically designed to give birth to children. That is what our sex organs do. Men don't have a uterus, fallopian tubes to send an egg down and out of the body, or ovaries to produce eggs. That is how we determine who's male and female by birth. That would be asexuality: the ability to produce by yourself without the need of the other sex. Men are incapable of doing this. And their maybe serious repercussions in doing so if the roles were reversed.

like what repercussions

@Mydnite Facts to you, idiocy to me. Apparently you don't understand simple English. Stop imposing you so called facts on me. Do I need to repeat myself? ENOUGH. Stop being a 26 year old child and learn to understand when people do not want to be bothered with you beating things in the head. Do you like doing that to other people? Because it sounds like you do.
      Very last time. If you find it facts, that's on you. Stop wasting my time with your antics. And any future post will be ignored. I will not continue your sick entertainment for attention.

haha! she wants us to stop imposing proven science facts to her and calling other people "child" You are the only child around here who can't comprehend facts and thinks that your fairy tales will outweigh science. Yeah... good luck with that one hun LOL!

• Women have the reproductive organs (such as the uterus) to nourish and incubate a developing baby and men do not. I suggest studying a graphic of male and female sexual anatomy to better understand this concept.

i get the concept but i was asking what is the advantage to having it this way

i think u are right but i would have though mother nature would have made birth less painful u know

• That's what evolution decided.

but why is the main thing i am asking what is the advantage to having it this way

• Because women are strong than men😭😂

lol i agree but i have just always wondered and know i know why lol

• its just how we evolved. We carry the babies because we have the womb. If both genders carried children that would mean there wouldn't be 'men' we would just all be women.

i know that it is the way it is but what is the advantage to having it this way

u know i never though of that lol dumb me know i do see why it is this way but still it is unfair to us women in the pain department but what u going to do lol

Cuuuzzz its simpler? Having a plug in and a plug as two separate things is easier than having a plug/plug in hybrid, or a plug that is a plug in half the time.

• It's the way our bodies are made.

i know but why is it that way

I don't know, it's something biologists can't even understand.

lol then i have no hope of understanding then

• Because only women have uteruses?

why is it that way

• Trollllll

sorry if i sound like a troll but i just asked a question i am wondering about

Men still have instincts to bond

i know but he would be lets say less likely to

• Because life is not fair to women.

• That's a really really good question!!! I typed up a while answer, but realized it may not be true. I don't know enough about the theory of how we evolved to know, and a quick internet search didn't provide any answers.

The closest I could fathom is that sexual reproduction (which even plants can
    have) allows for more diversity because it combines genes, which leads to more generic fitness for an changing world.

My non scientific scientific theory is perhaps the bigger organisms couldn't take in enough nutrients to sustain itself AND a growing offspring, so the smaller ones became the "mother" and the larger ones the "father"... That's with the idea that we were hermaphrodidic at some point, which I have no idea is possible though some reptiles have really bizarre instances of stuff like this.

Or it could be intelligent design.

that is a very informative answer thank u

I don't know why more people aren't getting what you're asking?

i know right