Which car should I choose?

I found a 2008 Honda Civic for $5,995. 122,000 miles on it. The guy selling the car is a college student who buys cars from auctions, fixes them up and then sells them. My dad is skeptical of the car because the carfax says that the car has not had any work done on it besides the tires being changed once. The oil has been changed when needed but the breaks haven't been changed or anything else like that.
There is also a Toyota Maximus for sale at a Toyota dealer. It's $6,875 with 103,000 miles on it. My dad thinks it will be better to buy there because the dealership has a reputation to uphold and the car could be more mechanically sounds, as it has been through inspection already.

I am am lost at what to do because I like the Honda more but I don't want to get a shitty car and fuck up my relationship with my parents. Cause my dad doesn't think the Honda is a wise choice. Please help? What should I do?

3mo My bad guys. It's a Toyota maxima
3mo *matrix

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think there is anything such as a Toyota Maximus. There is a Nissan Maxima which is a decent car for a Nissan. Are you in the US or not?

My bad. Toyota maxima

The Matrix is way overpriced according to KBB.
      www.kbb.com/.../?intent=buy-used

Meanwhile the Honda is underpriced according to KBB.

Definitely the Honda. Be adamant about it and show dad KBB. COM.

Thank you I think I'm going to go with the Honda :D

What Guys Said 5

• Their both such horrible choices lol

But get the honda, those things run like you wouldn't believe. And carfax isn't the authority of the universe. They have no all seeing eye. If that guy did any work, I highly doubt he would report it. No one is required to report any work. It sounds like a lot of money for those cars though. Where do you live?

Texas. These prices are considered fairly cheap for the cars around here

• Hondas are good cars, but go with your dad on this one. Buying from somebody who does the fix and flip is risky, even if they're honest you know nothing about the history of the car. Dealers have at least some accountability

• Anytime you get a decision like this get the Toyota. I have 3 trucks an 89 a 94 and a 91 all have 300,000 plus miles and have never let me down. And I run the fuck out of them I use them for rig rides. Just bought a 15 dodge and I regret it I have more problems with it than I have had with all 3 of these trucks

• I'd go with the Toyota

The carfax on it says that it's been in an accident, however it looks to be in great condition. Maybe the accident was small..

Toyota usually lasts a while. What year is the toyota matrix?

2006

• Go with the Toyota

What Girls Said 5

• Listen to your dad. You'll end up getting stuck in that Honda somewhere or in a wreck and have to pay more money than the car is worth to fix it. Buy the "cool car" when you make your own money and can afford a newer one with a better record.

• That's some serious dollar for such high mileage. Like SERIOUSLY high!

I would go with the dealership too, the Honda sounds like a bad deal already. That amount of miles and no brake changes? Has it had a cambelt change because if it hasn't it's well overdue for one I would say, same goes for the other one.

Is there nothing else out there that's better? Sounds like a real crap deal on both to be honest, here a car with that many miles won't go for much, even if it's had work done. I picked up my car for £600 with 150,000 miles on the clock and it's a BMW.

Damn. Yeah cars here are really expensive it seems. I've looked into buying from a private owner but that always risky as well

No probs, good luck with the car hunt!

Thanks I'll need it!

• Get the Toyota

On the toyotas carfax it says it's been in an accident. Possibly a small one but it does concern me. The car appears to be in good condition

• How much do you know about cars? How much does your dad know? Are you willing to bet your dad knows more on the subject of cars and car buying? If yes, choose the Toyota. Either way, they are used cars and your taking a risk.

• Toyotas last forever. Go with that one.