I never been to the beach before. Any advice for a first time beach trip?

I know this sounds crazy, and may be socking, but I am 18 and never in my life, been to the beach, the shore, the boardwalk or anything like that. What do I need to know and prepare when going to my first trip to the shore? What all do I really need to pack and bring? Thanks a ton! I a-shore you I appreciate it :)

3mo Thank you to everyone who responded. I highly appreciate all the advice, it was very helpful! Thanks again.

Most Helpful Guy

• Take :
    sunscreen
    a pair of sandals or flip flops
    a good hat
    sunglasses
    a plastic bag, preferably with no holes
    a ziplock bag big enough to hold your phone, wallet, keys, and anything else you don't want water or sand in
    towels
    water bottle
    swimsuit (obviously)
    change for a locker just in case
    a good bag that can hold all this!

Most Helpful Girl

• OMG! Never? See I'm an island girl so I cannot conceive a life without the beach, anyway there are a few essentials like sun screen (most important thing!), bikini or the like, towel, though i normally take either two towels for myself or a towel and some type of big cloth like a beach wrap that you can put on the sand because if you use the same towel you use to sit to dry yourself too can get a bit messy, as to the clothes flip flops are the best shoes for the beach, unless you go to a rocky one, then trainers, a dress is the most comfortable for the beach since it'll allow you to change your bikini without much effort, that's very important getting out of your wet clothes when you're leaving otherwise you can get a urine infection and those aren't fun at all, so bring and extra bikini or underwear, food too unless you go to eat at some restaurant but normally shops/restaurants around the beach are hella expensive, oh and a lot of water, and I think thats the most important stuff you need to pack, as to tips about the beach never leave your stuff alone, always have someone watching, theft is very common at the beach, if you're swimming and there's a lot of waves don't go close to the rocks, be careful you don't fall asleep in the sun for too long, sunburn's a bitch, if you get burnt remember to apply aftersun asap, pure aloe vera is even better, and I can't think of anything else, hope you have loads of fun!

I forgot the hair brush and deodorant, oh and I never wear make up to the beach, even waterproof one can get very messy

What Guys Said 8

• sunblock
    2 towels or a blanket and a towel (one for laying on one for drying off)
    sandals or flip flops
    some sort of entertainment (book, music, beach games)
    an umbrella (you can bring or usually rent)
    water

know it's hottest between the hours of 2-4pm.

• Towel, sandals, if you burn easy I would recommend sunscreen, and swimsuit. some people also wear clothing over their swimsuit. So there's that.

• Sunscreen most important thing.

• It is dangerous actually, dont do it. beside it, there also are jellyfish.
    https://youtu.be/9-wwP8_0ez4

• Sunblock, but not just any kind... the waterproof ones with broad spectrum protection.

• I only ever went once when I was younger. A lot of girls laughed at me that day because I was fat. Never went again. So no, I don't have any advice for you.

• none.

• additionally to what others wrote:
    refreshments like cooled drinks, something to eat
    maybe some money for lunch (if there is something there)

also you might make sure wether it is a FKK/nudist beach to prevent surprises...

What Girls Said 10

• Bring a towel to lay down on and another to dry off/clean up with. Beware: Sand will find its way into every single one of your crevices. Have fun though.

• I usually wear flip flops and my swimsuit with a dress or other clothes on top. Bring sunblock, a towel, sunglasses/a hat/whatever, a beach chair if you have one, and whatever snacks or drinks you'll want. You can bring a book or something if you plan on sitting in the sun. :)

If you go in the water, here's just something to know in case of rip tides (which they usually have warning signs if there's one nearby, but just in case!): If you get caught in one, swim PARALLEL to the shore rather than trying to fight against the current.

• Make sure you Wear Plenty of Sun Screen Cream here, dear.
    Good luck and Enjoy! xx

• -Sunscreen
    -Water
    -Beach towel

Those are the most essential. Other than that, you can bring a chair to sit in. You can also bring something to occupy yourself such as a book if you like to read while sitting on the beach, or anything like that. :)

• If I list everything, that would be way too long lol. But this video was super helpful for me when I was preparing to go on my last beach trip this year! Hope its helpful:)
    https://youtu.be/ZFW9lnQ8Zbw

• Two words. SUN SCREEN.

Thank goodness I have that :)

• Sunblock! Put in on before you get there, a good half an hour before and get a water proof one so you can go for a swim.

Swim suit & two towels. One for drying and one for lounging!
    Sunglasses and/or a hat for shade (or a beach umbrella - shade is important if you are there all day)
    Plenty of water
    A light cover up, like a big shirt or something, in case it gets a little cold or you start to burn
    More water!
    Flip flops or sandals

• bathing suit, towel, sunscreen, hair brush, extra change of clothes (underwear/bra, shirt, shorts), a blanket to sit on the beach if you want... umm some sort of sandals. you definitely don't want to wear sneakers or anything with socks. sand will get EVERYWHERE. especially where you dont want it to lol. bring water and snacks too. you should be alset ! have fun

• Just a towel, sunscreen, bathing suit, cover up, maybe a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses. Also if you plan on going out at night a light jacket. Things can cool off quite a bit and you can get cold in normal summer clothes.

• Wow...
    Just wear a bikini and walk in the sand