How good do honor courses look on a college transcript?

Finally got all my classes today at uni. My academic counselor recommended I take honors. I can still switch these courses around if I wanted to. Not sure if it's worth it.

• Not worth it just take normal classes
  • Yes it's worth it. Go honors.

Most Helpful Girl

• i took all honors in high school and it fucked me over for college all of those AP courses are supposed to be a grade higher on your transcript but all of my colleges looked at the unweighted GPA.

Most interviewers just look at your GPA, not if you were in honors or not.

Most Helpful Guy

• I got my honors in biochemistry, and during my medical interview they seemed quite intrigued by it. I think it is a good trait to possess and will help allow you to stand out from your colleagues, and those you plan to compete against for a job.

However, it is best suited for those who wish to pursue a higher form of education in the field, but honors WILL give you options. So if you just want some engineering job I don't think it will matter too much, I don't think these kinds of employers will look at your honors classes, but if you want options and are unsure about what you wish to do with your engineering degree I would recommend it. it will give you options, and give your more choices in the long run.

What Girls Said 6

• I took all honors courses in high school and in college. If you are able, I say go for it. I was able to make extra cash by teaching courses my senior year because of the advanced classes and my GPA. For my profession, employers do not look at honors courses.

• I'd say it's worth it, especially in your field. It's already a difficult major, so, if you show that you can handle honors courses as well, that looks even better.

• If u can maintain an A or B average in honors then it's worth it, if u r a C in honors or below them u might as well just stay in college prep and get an A average bc a C in honors and and an A in college r like the same so why not just have an A cuz it looks better than a C. But if u can do well in honors then go for it!

• Depends on your profession. My profession couldn't care less about Honors classes, though it looks nice on a resume.

• I think its worth it

• The higher gpa counts more so if you can get an A or B then yes take honors

What Guys Said 13

• Depends on what you wanna do after. Grad schools will like them. Employers probably don't care.

I would only go to grad school if I could be working in my field while. I mean I have to pay my own way through and support myself so it's going to take me a while just to complete undergrad.

Can't you apply for a government loan for schooling? I don't know how USA works, but in Canada the government will pay for your ENTIRE schooling. However, the catch is once you've completed your degree you have to start making payments after so many months of being out of school. Why not apply for that?

• Employers don't care and rerely ever look at any transcripts, even the employers that require it to apply for the job almost never even look at it.

• Take honors for your own personal ambitions. If you are interested in challenging yourself in a course then go honors. If the class has no interest or meaning to you then don't. Honors will hardly do anything for you in terms of college transcripts and will be 100% pointless the second you go to college. Do it for individual growth, not the off chance of a padded GPA assuming they go past a 4.0(my highschool didn't).

• I do t bother with that shit personally. I've taken honors and AP in highschool, didn't feel like it even had an effect. According to my HS my GPA was like 3.8 because they used the weighted GPA. According to my uni it was 3.3. Not worth the extra effort in my opinion

• Depends on what you are majoring. Honors courses are more advanced, so much so, the workload might catch you off guard.

You may decide if it's worth it or not also based on What the courses cover.

Speaking in hypotheticals is tough, I'd need to know what it is you are majroing.

• Depends on what you wanna do. It certainly doesn't hurt. But don't you have to be in the honors program from the start?

Not as a transfer student.

Fair enough I guess. Still depends on what you wanna do. If you wanna be a doctor, sure. Maybe if you plan on grad school (wait till you get a job, if you can), dope. Engineer? Probably useful, although I think gpa is more important. In business? Unless you're going for wall street, a big 4 or being ambitious, like the NSA, it's fairly useless. It'll get you ahead, but you can make a good living without it. It just depends on the supply and demand of the major

• It looks nice on a resume

• Bro it's called AP
    Your power is weak here

AP is high school. They don't call it AP at my university. It's just called honors.

I know it's highschool
      I saw a bunch of highschool related answers so yea...
      If I were you I'd still take honors though
      I'm enrolled at the honors program at WNEU

• All I can say is that honour courses are very big. In fact they're huge. If I'm looking for an apprentice I want someone with honour courses. Keep at it, Fearless_Banana. You know who doesn't have honour courses? The Obama administration.

• Noob get honours, cash money $$ and job availability increases

• gpa>honors classes

• If it risks lowering your GPA then no not at all. Most places will not take the fact that it's an honors course into account.

• Yes it's worth it. Go honors.