Should I move out of my sorority house, I'm already having concerns?

I'm a sophomore in college and I decided to live in my sorority house this year thinking it was a good idea (I have been here for a total of 3 days). Now that I'm here, I feel like I won't be able to focus on school because I'll be so involved with the sorority. School is already hard for me so that's why I'm considering moving out. Also I absolutely love my roommate but some of the other girls in the house are rude, and insecure so they put others down to make themselves feel better which drives me nuts. I would be able to move into an apartment closer to the school if I were to move out and have my own room, but I wouldn't know my roommate. I'm really conflicted on what to do so I'd really like to get your opinion. Thanks!

• Move Out
  • Suck it up and stay

Most Helpful Guy

• Your education is more important. With the cost of school these days, I would expect this to be an easier decision. You're there to get your education, not to have to deal with rude people who are so insecure they have to put others down in order to raise their self-esteem. You don't need that. Nobody needs that in their life, but you especially don't need it. You need to be focused on getting to your classes, studying your case loads or whatever major you've decided on, and put all that other nonsense to the way-side. True, you won't know your roommate, but as the saying goes... a stranger is just a friend you've not yet gotten to know. Bottom line.

Most Helpful Girl

• There should be a third option but between the two I say stay. Three days is nothing, if you're in a good sorority they will hold you accountable for grades.

You just need to settle into a routine. Maybe don't study at the house. I never studied at home. My college had one of the best gyms in the country so I always hit the gym up and library up in one block of 5 hours or so. If I was going out later it would be library then gym. If I was going home after it would by gym then the library I post gym suit that I could sleep in when I got home late at library closing.

Stay it out maybe find a library buddy even but sit apart. Just take study breaks for coffee together or whatever. I honestly think by the end of the year you will be so glad you stayed.

Exactly! All sororities have GPA requirements and have study programs if you are getting close to falling below. I think people fail to realize that.

@rgb008 Agreed that's an extremely low GPA requirement. Most in my school won't accept lower than 3.0 and lower than 3.25 puts you under revision.

I still don't think you should move until the end of the semester but this is the time for you to break ties with the a 2.5 is okay philosophy because it isn't.

It's okay to get a C if that's what happened. I know many engineers and doctors who either got a C or came close to it because they had to take a challenginging liberal arts class. It was just out of their wheel house, they went into it thinking it was baby school and found out that they could read every article and publication assigned and still not pass a test.

But that's their only C. Your house shouldn't be okay with bad grades. Since they are though come up with your own plan and measures for the next year.

I hope it's going better.

What Guys Said 16

• I would move out. If you live on your own you can still see the people you like. If you are already having problems with school an annoying person outside your room is not going to help the matter. There are people who FAILED entire semesters when I went to university, because of the drama they faced in their life or at home. If they are cool people they'll understand, and still hang with you.

• (1.) You don't HAVE to move out, I've had piss poor roommates before and survived.
    (2.) School first, then sorority. Remember you don't HAVE to do every single event and shit. I literally see girls on Tinder with just pictures of their sorority event. It's a house full of girls that occasionally pretend they like each other, not some charity service.
    (3.) The best way to deal with bitchy women you live with is to get out of the house a lot. I wouldn't suggest hanging with the frat guys but go out and find a club, go to the gym, etc. Find something worth doing outside the house.

From all that you said, it sounds like a better choice to live outside of the house. I wouldn't have to deal with them, and I'd still be able to get out of my apartment. Also school would be able to be my first priority, which is what I need. But thank you for your opinion. It's helped me, and I appreciate it.

• Sounds like a hostile environment, did you come to college to make friends or to have an education? (Not to say that you can't make friends outside of the sorority.) I'd say you have a better chance outside of it

• Stay. It's only been a couple days. A lot of people feel this way. Give it time. Go to the library after classes to study. You don't have to study where you live.

If you moved you could end up with an absolutely awful roommate. Since you have a good one stay where you are.

• Stop being a pussy and suck it up. Make your boundaries clear.

• Yeah move out that seems like the best solution to me.

• If you cared about grades, you wouldn't have went through the pledge process to begin with.
    I think you should move out. That's a horribile idea to live with a bunch of girls you haven't known for more than a year or two.

• You sound like a smart girl. Do what you think is right

• I would say move out. School comes first, you can focus on having fun once you are out.

• You and your Roommate should get a place off campus together.

• Yea your cute so they are gonna be all over you
    Good and bad

• Suck it up and stay

With the tally as it is above, I don't think I'm going to force myself to stay. But thanks.

• 2 reasons why you should leave is because

1) Grades
    2) If you want to remain a nice person.. A lot of girls become bitches in those environments it changes peoples character

• what even is a sorority house. Im not from the states, but from the movies i've seen it looks like some sort of orgy/lesbian event

HAHAHAHA this comment is perfect

Lmao, we're all sisters. And on the weekends we go out and party with fraternity gentlemen. So you don't have a good idea of what it is at all. Movies are not a good example, so don't buy into them.

• Have you already gone through the padding

Lmao, hazing is not an issue at our school :) In other words, we don't take part in it.

Ruin my fun why don't you

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 8

• Your education could be on the line. You have to do what is best for you. You may not be able to know your roommate, but your schooling is far too important. If your friends with your current roommate, you can always talk to her and hang out when she or you aren't busy. That's better than being all alone unless you can handle being both involved and alone. Do what works and what is wise.

• You better get out now! Go with your instincts. You are there to get a degree first and part second. You get the best of both worlds by dipping

• What are the cost differences and how do the other girls get school work done in the house? Do you share the same courses? Maybe devise a group study time.

• School is more important so I would move out

• I lived in a sorority house for 3 years.
    It's fine if you learn how to balance.
    You will most likely get a fine for moving out. Most houses require it to be filled and if you break that contract, you'll have to pay.

I've already talked to my parents, and they told me if I'm not happy here then they'd deal with it. I go to a smaller school so my sorority house isn't as nice as most. We don't have a chef or a house mom, so that's why it wouldn't matter as much if I did decide to move out.

Sororities are 100+ girls, you and I both know you won't get along with everyone.
      Be an adult or make mommy and daddy foot your bill.

Lol, I'm the one paying for it... So you have no place to tell me what to do. My parents are only there to help me figure something out smarta**. And no. My sorority house has only 10 girls living in it, so it's definitely different from what you're thinking.

• Give it some time and you'll get used to that environment... don't be afraid to speak up if you don't like something.

• What the hell r u even askin the question for, get a life n make ur own decisions ul b askin if its ok to shit next.

• Stay. You only here since 3 days it's nothing. Maybe try to ask help from your sisters and all.