Is the first impression of southerners seen as idiots, unintelligent or as the cliché retarded redneck?

I'm Texan and any time I show patriotism I'm seen as a redneck, but when someone from say, Illinois shows patriotism they AREN'T seen as redneck.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope, but I'm a southerner myself. There is a huge difference between being country and being a redneck.

Most Helpful Guy

• You'll have to excuse my former fellows. As a heartlander who went semi-native, I can't speak for all, but many have started to follow the lead of the Coastal elite. Screw those guys. Better to be seen as a dumb hick than known as a subservient metrosexual who hates America.

Are you dumb, 99.99% of southerners are conservatives who are patriotic towards the American Dream, among certain civilians. The only thing most of us don't like about America is the snow birds.

I agree completely with you. What I'm saying is that the other segments of the country have started to follow the lead of California and NY, where they are the submissive metros who like to feel better than Southern patriots. So, I'm trying to say that yes, for many, the stereotype is the "dumb hick", but it sure beats the hell out of the stereotypical New Yorker or SoCal freak.

What Girls Said 5

• I'm a country girl that has horses. Most southerners are not rednecks.

• I've lived in some southern states before. Just like with anywhere, it's mixed. The people I hung out with were kind (southern hospitality you hear about as well), funny, and very laid back. They were a bit closed minded on certain issues than I've seen in other places, but other than that I didn't have issues or think negatively.

• Confederate flag =/= patriotism. It's racism. You seem like a redneck.

And by the way, I'm a Virginian.

The rebel flag resembles patriotism for the Confederate States of America. I am simply expressing my patriotism and support for the the southern states. What would you say if I flew the Stars and Bars flag instead? I'm sorry but I think you need to hit the books about the civil war and the many flags they flew. It is a national flag. I'm not saying I'm not racist, I am a racist, a big one too. But that flag is there for the mere historical representation and my southern pride.

You do realize Texas has better mountain ranges right?
      By the way, I went ahead and found you a site for your history lesson. history. com/topics/us-states/virginia

So you posted a link backing up literally everything I said? Thanks bruh xD

• I'm from Neveda, but I love the south. Only liberals think that southerners are idoits.

• unfortunately many believe so

What Guys Said 4

• When I moved down south j thought we were going to be living in a trailor park, typical cousin fuckjng jokes you hear your entire life.. The south is so much better than the north, j hate the north now haha

• Unfortunately, it is a stereotype that the Southerners are rednecks... But as a British guy who has travelled in the south, I can clarify it is false.

• Hey I'm Texan too!

• ye thats the impression