Does anyone else think its disrespectful to healthcare workers that Christians say it was God that saved them instead of the doctors and nurses?

I know there are Christians that are not this bad. It may also just because I live in a very conservative county but there's still too many Christians that give God all the credit instead of the doctors or nurses whose intelligence and quick thinking saved their life. I am in nursing school (and I passed my CPR class self high five) and I just realized the hypocrisy in this. Someone explain this logic to me.

Most Helpful Guy

• praying does work. not in a spiritual sense, but in a self medicating sense. our brain is the central processing unit that we are still learning to control on an intimate level.. just wait until people can adjust their own blood flow through the power of thought.

stress contributes to the outcome of just about every procedure, surgery, rehabilitation session, etc. our bodies perform their best when we're in a good state of mind and mood. for some people, praying is what it takes to get there... can it cure cancer? certainly not, but cancer is a game of percentages.

my mom beat a 1% chance of survival to extend her life 20 more years. did she pray? ? no.. but she believed she would beat it, and wanted to beat it, and she did. second time around, she didn't even put up much of a fight since she was so depressed that a new case would find it's way into her other lung. she died 4 months after her diagnosis.

p. s. i've thought away headachese by simply relaxing, and repeating outloud soothing words to myself.

p. s. s no need to apologize for my mom's passing.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's disrespectful. I believe that prayer works. I believe that God heals. I believe that He uses doctors and nurses and health care workers to save and heal people. I don't think that by thanking God, credit is taken away. I've seen people thank God and the doctors. At the end of the day if you believe in God then you know He has final say and that if it's your time, no amount of training nor will the best doctor be able to save you.

What Guys Said 17

• Christians believe that God uses us to do his works so there is nothing inconsistent with saying that God saved us and also giving credit to healthcare workers.

• Well no to an extent. As a Christian I do believe God helps to heal people, but the doctors and nurses do deserve credit as well for finding the problem and treating it. If it's a case where like kids have died or people have died trusting in God alone for medical help instead of going to a doctor or hospital then yes that is disrespectful and a crime. But if you seek the guidance of whatever you believe in and medical help then I see it as perfectly ok.

• I would kind of say that yes it is.

• It doesn't bother me, so long as the same logic is applied when doctors/medical treatment eventually fail.

• I'd say, Next time you want treatment, got to church. Don't come here!

Exactly. I once saw a news story about parents who attempted to pray away the flu their twin boys came down with. That grew into a bigger problem and their boys died from the flu. Which is very easy to treat. The parents are know in jail for murder charges.

impossible-murder requires malicious intent. Perhaps "negligence of a child that resulted in death" or something like that. Or "criminal negligent homicide" or something, you bet. But murder is pretty specific and requires a bad INTENT-so it's impossible they'd be charged with murder.

however-the god of the bible DOES murder almost 3,000,000 people in the book and he's the "good guy" meanwhile the "bad guy" murders ZERO people in the book... so consider what that model might do to christian "ethics" and don't expect much from them in that regard ;)

• your industry is not special - just so you know. Doctors are glorified barbers at best. now that this is out of your way, let's address the real problem: the disempowerment of self that comes from Christianity.

The whole religion is about being submissive to a god. You don't give yourself or anyone credit for anything good, and give yourself or others all the blame for everything bad. Not only is this inconsistent, but based on the underlying belief that we are all so flawed and truly evil (without their god who is a complete psycho thus making it one big mind fuck, and BY INTENT (of the Romans who invented this shit).

I was in real estate, I'd work my ass off-they'd thank Jesus for finding their buyer. Sometimes (with mormons) jesus even got paid MORE than I did (tithing 10%-COO COO). So don't think you're special, think that christians are wacked and self deprecating and emotionally as unhealthy as it gets... the whole religion is about disempowering yourself.

You have a right to your opinion but when you're dying, don't come to a hospital. It's Gods will that he wanted you to die. Isn't that right?

So when you're dying you won't come to us because you hate that much? Do you think that's noble or something? A brave person admits when they need help.

I think you are trying to say you don't hate doctors when they're saving your life but you hate them the rest of the time? Hmm that sounds self centered.

• I am very anti religion but a huge believer in faith

It has a huge effect on getting you through grim times

I guess. They should at least pray for the doctor or nurse to do a good job and give him/her credit when the disease, virus, or whatever is cured not God.

She sounds like a wonderful woman. I was recently added to a Facebook group to give support to an old teacher who has cancer. I think I am the only atheist. Everyone keeps saying pray the cancer away. Which the surgery was successful but it's upsetting that I have never seen them give the doctors or nurses any credit.

When you are in this situation you just need to put your beliefs aside and support. Even for I, when she was close to death her church group wanted me to lead the praying of the rosary. in her honour, i had no problem with this despite having real angst with Catholicism

• I'm a Christian and I believe in God and Jesus but it's true that "these" type of Christians are out there. I believe God has healing powers in special cases but in most cases I believe God has angels watching over us such as being in a car wreck and having a doctor saving ones life. In this case, the angel is the doctor.

you can't give your god credit for what someone else did, that's just obnoxious and self serving. It's also theft-stealing something a person GAVE YOU and giving it to your god and lying and saying your god did it so you can feel better about your worldview. nothing noble in that.

I agree.

• Yeah, I do, and I believe in a deity

TV-Tropes likes to call these people egocentrically religious and I agree with that statement
      Here is a joke but it shows what these kind of people are
      A man is notified that his house is going to be flooded and he needs to get out of the house. He says "No I don't have to, God is going to take care of me." Then the flood starts to rise and a sheriff comes along and tells him to get out. The man says "No, God is going to save me." So, the floods continue to rise, and he climbs on top of the house. A boat comes along and he's told to climb into the boat. He says, "No, no, God is going to save me." Finally, a helicopter comes along and they lower the net to rescue him. The man says, "No, no, God is going to save me!" Well, the man drowns and goes to Heaven. When he gets to Heaven, he says to God, "Why didn't you save me?" God says, "I sent the sheriff, I sent a boat, I sent a helicopter, what more did you want me to do?"

Exactly. I don't think any doctors have said, "nurse, cancel the surgery his friends and family prayed enough."

• its offensive if they dont give all staff credit as well.

no christian will just neglect the doctors and nurrses dont be silly! lol

• Yeah, and when they say something like "God had a plan" after a tragedy. Go fuck yourself.
    It's not just Christianity and I don't think they are trying to be dismissive or disrespectful, but it's still annoying.

• Not only christians but all religious people that say that.

It's so disrespectful to healthcare professionals. One of the worst migraines I have ever experienced finally passed because of medicine my doctor prescribed to me not because of prayer.

Usually I am able to sleep off my migraines but this one really persisted. This got rid of the pain. I still feel nauseous and sensitive to light though
      i.walmartimages.com/.../0068113102929_500X500.jpg

Thanks. I will buy some.

• No, but I still think doctors should get the credit, because they are the people that keep us alive.

• If this is the most that ginny_weasley has to worry about, she has way too much time on her hands.

No it was just a random thought. I have far bigger worries that I will tell the people on this site about when hell freezes over.

• Yes, it is fine. Why are you wanting to bash people for their beliefs? If God saved them according to their beliefs, then He did. They have the right to their beliefs and the right to voice them.

This is what makes this country suck. Politically Correct people who want to eliminate thoughts and views of those they disagree with.

Its the doctors and nurses that save lives. Not God. Especially since he made you sick in the first place. I don't think its politically correct because it still offends people like you. The next time you're dying don't come to a hospital. Remember it's Gods will when you die of something like cardiac arrest. Cardiac arrest victims can be prevented by someone who is CPR certified which is I am certified to do.

You have the right to your beliefs. Don't ask a question you don't want to hear people's honest answers to.

There are several Christians on here whose opinions I have agreed with. The next time you're dying, don't see a doctor instead pray to God.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 11

• I don't think it's disrespectful, I'd take it as a compliment.

I'm going to school for nursing as well and I believe that God gave us doctors and nurses to provide us healing. He was the one who created those people, he was the one gave them their intellect and their skill. Through him they were able to save us. I think of doctors and nurses as helpers from God. To me that's a very high honor.

At the end of the day God determines life or death. Doctors and nurses do what they're trained and that does help sustain life, but if it's God's will that we don't make it, then there's nothing that will stop it. Not even the greatest doctor in the world can stop that from happening.

• Some people believe God uses healthcare specialists to save lives... that's why they say God saved them.

This recently dawned on me because someone added me in a Facebook group for someone I know who has cancer. Everyone keeps sharing posts of praying the cancer away. When the surgery was successful, they thanked God not the doctor and not the nurses. I hate that logic it's so disrespectful. I have friends and family who specialize in health care and we all worked incredibly hard to get where we are.

• I think you're totally right and then, when they can't save the person, it's the person' fault and the hospital fault. They don't really blame god when it doesn't go their way

• im a Christian and if I ever say anything like that, I mean that I am thankful to God for putting that doctor in my life, or for providing a miracle that saved me or whatever mysterious way that I saw God at work. It doesn't mean I am denying that the doctors or nurses actually did the work, i would be extremely grateful to them as well.

• Nope, I don't see why it would be disrespectful.
    I am sure the doctors would realize that those people are religious.
    And I think those people thanks the doctor as well.

• I think it's kinda rude just brushing away the fact the the doctors worked their asses off to save someone.

• Yeah I never really thought about it, but it is disrespectful to the people who saved you as well as your friends and family who supported you through it (if they did). They should give the providers at least 90% credit if they're gonna mention god

• I usually thank both.

• I agree 100%

• Its matter of faith.

• No, I believe in destiny.. sure, docs helped, but God wanted you to survive. It was gods will