When should parents let teens make there own decisions?

3mo To be clear, I am not talking about me. I just want to know people's opinions on this.

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe parents should have their children make their own descisions. That could start with something simple like picking a toy or what meal they want in a restaurant (also decisions!) and eventually what sport they'd like to play, which school (middle or high) they'd like to go to etc.

I believe in a loose way of raising. Strict parents only create sneaky children. (I'm the example of it, sneaking out and lying to my parents when they disagree with something I want to do even though it's safe) so I think teens should start early making decisions so they know to turn to you for advice and guidance. So they know they can talk to you without you forbidding them anything. They'll make their own mistakes and learn that way.

Most Helpful Guy

• That should depend on the type of decision but as a general rule, self-responsiblity should be taught from early childhood onwards. The more you teach a child to be mature and act in a responsible way, the less trouble it will later give you.
    Unfortunately, America has a culture of helicopter authorities where parents and teachers mistake themselves for police officers and treat teenagers like stupid 5-year olds. In fact, it's the exact opposite way. If they raised them in a loser way like parents and teachers do in Europe, the teenagers would also act more maturely. How are you supposed to make responsible decisions if you've been treated like a mentally disabled person for your whole childhood/puberty?

In Europe there's still room for improvement thiugh, lol

What Girls Said 4

• I think it should be like this... they hear everyone's opinion, consider it, and you know see which one would be better to follow/ makes sense etc.

I don't wanna say , oh they should let teens make their own decision at this age... because that kind of sounds as if the teen is on their own making big decisions... and parents are just in the background not knowing what their kids are up to.

• It really depends on the situation and the topic.

• Usually around 17/18.

I mean even then and later on the parent should help their child in making the right or best decisions but they need to let their kid make their own mistakes and learn or else they'll never become their own person.

• Never... they don't understand how the world works yet

What Guys Said 5

• Within certain limits.

• When they can walk. If he thinks he likes the grape candy more than the strawberry who the fuck is a parent to say no you like the strawberry.

• When the teen has earned enough trust. Prove you're capable of making smart decisions.

• When you have your own place and a steady job, then you can make whatever decisions you wish be it good decisions or shitty decisions that will fuck you over.

• When ur outta the house. Their house, their rules ☝🏼