Have you been struck by lightning or know anyone who has?

My dad has been indirectly struck by lighting about 5 time by now.
Have you been struck by lighting or know anyone who has?

• yes
    5% (2)18% (7)12% (9)Vote
  • no
    95% (37)82% (32)88% (69)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0
13|17

Most Helpful Guy

• I have, inside a plane. The plane was struck by lightning during final approach into Dublin, Ireland.
    Since the plane is metal, nothing happenen except the lights flashing on and off for a fraction of a second. We landed safely, no damage :D

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh, my Lord, @Mustacheketteh I am so sorry, hun. I have Never Seen Someone who has been Struck by Lightening. My eyes are Mystified at this Sight.
    However, I had an aunt, before I was even born, who was Struck by Lightning as she Went to Answer her phone. It threw her Far Across the Room and Killed her Instantly.
    Hoping dad is Feeling better Soon and Thank God he Didn't get Hit... Harder.
    Good luck and Blessings. xx

1|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

The life of a farmer, no matter what weather it is you have to go check on things.

• Show All
    • 3mo

@Mustachekitteh, thank you so much for the Vote of Confidence, and hoping dad is okay. xxoo

What Guys Said 16

• Yes, sort of. When I was a kid lightning struck a soccer goal post during a game and killed one player and injured 18 others. I wasn't playing, but it was the same league I played in.

1|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

Did it occur to the 18 kids... Or at least the other 17 or their parents to not touch the post?

• 3mo

@Other_Tommy_Wiseau The goalpost conducts the electricity to the ground, but it can travel along the ground before it dissipates. I'm not sure if the goalpost not actually being *in* the ground makes a difference. 7- to 8-year old kids can also just get hurt being knocked to the ground by surprise.

Here's an example showing how the electricity from a lightning strike burned the grass on a golfing green when the flag got hit.

agron-www.agron.iastate.edu/.../lightning2.jpg

The better question might be "Why were they still playing during a thunderstorm?" to which I guess the answer would be "It was the 80s." We just didn't treat certain dangers as seriously as we do now.

• 3mo

Hey, I learned something new. I didn't know the ground could transfer (idk the word) electricity. Ah! The 80s. The 2nd to last decade before safety laws were a thing 😂. That explains it 😁

• My parents always told me that an uncle died by lightning, riding the bike in a thunderstorm. I don't actually know if it's true xD I somewhat doubt it. I bet they just made it up to make me scared of thunderstorms, which by the way didn't work at all :D

1|0
    0|0
  • 5 times? How? I don't even know anyone who has been struck by lightning, and your father has managed to get hit 5 times!

1|1
    0|0
  • Nope never been struck by lighting by I know a lot of people who have almost been struck by it and 1-2 who have.

1|0
    0|0
  • No but it's been so close that the boom was at the same time as the light at about 20 feet away and that was sure loud

1|0
    0|0
  • Ladies and gentlemen, the unluckiest man on earth!
    5 times.. does he work on cell towers during storms or wtf?

1|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

He's a farmer that raises chickens and the chicken houses are made out of metal.

• Show All
    • 3mo

I think I'd let them freak out rather than get hit after the first few times, I dunno just seems really weird. Did he go to the hospital each time or was it minor?

• 3mo

He didn't go to the hospital just waited out the horrible burning pain.

• No that sucks what happened to your dad sorry to hear that I hope you never lose your parents your a good person.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have only been struck by an electric socket.

2|0
    0|0
  • 5 times? Damn...

1|0
    0|0
  • i had lightning strike within feet from me, and it hit the utility pole right in front of me when driving, but never known anyone who took it to the teeth.

1|0
    0|0
  • That wouldn't instantly kill someone?

1|0
    0|0
  • Fortunately I haven't, hope your dad is well!

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes my dads friend
    Is your dad okay?

1|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

Yeah for him it was still kind of indirect, as in a metal building was hit first and due to him touch it. It ended up going through him too, though at the time it burned like hell for him.

• Show All
    • 3mo

When he has to check on the chickens in the chicken house, sometimes he's had to do it in a storm. So over the years lighting have hit the chicken house and then at the moment he's touching it as well.

• 3mo

Wow bad luck I suppose
      My fiends dad worked on cranes

• I never have. What do you mean "indirectly"?

0|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

as in a metal building was hit by the lightning and on it's way down, my dad was touching the building at the moment. So that ended up having him struck by it making it's way down.

• 3mo

No fun.

• nopers

1|0
    0|0
  • My seventeen year old neighbor was struck dead getting off a school bus her senior year in high school

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 12

• Wow, I feel so bad for him.
    He's lucky to be alive.

He's a cat... he must have 9 lives!

1|1
    0|0
  • No, I haven't been struck by lightening, and I don't know anyone that has thankfully. I'm sorry it's happened to your father.

1|1
    0|0
  • I haven't *knocks on wood*, and don't know anyone who has. Sounds pretty scary. The scars from it look really interesting, though.

1|0
    0|0
  • No but the thought absolutely terrifies me. I hesitate to go outside during storms even briefly.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, I don't personally know anyone that was.

But the Lichtenberg figure looks really cool. I have a souvenir of it in a piece of plexiglass.

1|0
    0|0
  • your poor dad

1|0
    0|0
  • My great grandfather was struck by lightning twice.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have never been struck by lightning... and hopefully I won't.

1|0
    0|0
  • It might be weird but I find the scars beautiful

1|1
    0|0
  • I know someone

1|0
    0|0
  • I got struck once, I've also been electrocuted by other means.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've never known anyone that has been struck by lightning.

1|0
    0|0