My Dad wants a Golden Retriever but?

He's still a puppy and we would love to take him but once he grows up he's energic and big. I think a smaller dog would be suitable because my mom can't handle big ones and i was thinking about a pomeranian but my dad only likes big dogs. Our flat has like 95 m2 and isn't that small for such a dog? wouldn't a smaller dog be more suitable? he doesn't like small dogs at all.

Most Helpful Guy

• 1000 square feet doesn't sound that bad. I'd say having a yard would be the biggest factor, unless you're going to train him to somehow use a litter box. Your dog probably doesn't like little dogs because...
    -They're yappy.
    -Useless.
    -He'll look ridiculous walking around with it.
    If you want to skim this thread, probably other reasons.
    www.reddit.com/.../

we have a yard but he could easily run away and yeah he said you can't have as much fun with them as with big dogs but i think small ones are adorable and playful and what do you mean with useless?

They're little yappy rodents basically haha. Well I assume it's a shared lawn, I'm sure you could sink a metal spike below ground level slightly, with a loop, then hook him on that if he needs time in the yard. Useless for a few reasons, but in general, just not the type of dog many guys would want. Small dogs just seem ridiculous in general haha. Medium sized ones are even worlds better.

Most Helpful Girl

• Golden Retrievers are the most popular dogs, and it is no wonder. They're very lovable and get along well with kids. However, they do require a good bit of space and exercise. If your dad is going to be the one to walk and train him (and that is okay with your mom) in a reasonable amount of space, I do not see the issue. I'm not sure what your mom's hold-up with big dogs is, but if she's scared of them, your dad may want to rethink the size of the dog.

my mom is scared of big dogs and have no idea why my dad doesn't like small dogs, he had a small one once though

Maybe try for middle ground with a medium-sized dog.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• Golden Retrievers are the greatest breed, they are perfect, but do need a lot of space and have a lot of energy and need to exercised often. But you will never have a better dog.

• Let him have the dog he wants.

• Awwww get the golden retriever. They're sooo adorable and loving ❤️😍