Girls, Why are so many ladies worried about how they look?

surely the world hasn't got that bad?

23

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't exactly know why but I feel that the media and everything like show how a pretty woman should look like and since most of the woman don't fit in this standard we are frustrated.
    Im not confident about myself and I know that I should be but I don't how to be. Like its easy to lose confidence but earn some is not that easy.
    In general a woman will be judge directly (by women or men) more by her physical appearance than by for example her performances at work or at a sport.

• which i agree with, but at the same time i can't stand people who judge other by there looks when personality is so important. You must have something about your appearance you love?

• Thank you.
      I feel too fat, not pretty enough, too small, my boobs are too big etc..
      I know its different in some countries but for example in Europe and especially where I live (switzerland) when you buy clothes it's a real struggle. Bras, Swimsuit, all kinds of clothes, there's like a standard, and if you're not in that standard, you can feel it and see it. Its like they made clothes for only some type of girls and the other part they have to deal with it.

• see i can under stand that and do see where your coming from, im from the UK and normally the largest sizes are from certain shops only, or if your smaller than average you'll struggle. From what you have said i see nothing wrong with how you look

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Girls Said 22

• One word: Society

When Society stops placing so much emphasis off of someones physical looks , and advertising beauty that is artificial then people won't care so much.

• which i agree a lot of this down side and lack of self belief is because the media makes people feel bad with out certain things in there life

• one word. Self-discipline. Even if the whole society is against you, you can stand as an imovable mountain and stay loyal to your own values and beliefs. i don't wait for that revolution that you mention. i already do my own personal revolution. i'm not implying i'm going out as an unwashed hippie, but i also have my boundaries and persoanl preferences to how much value i'll put on these things... .

• @levantine99 which is fair we are driven by our own values and we should put more faith in ourselves, but as i stated it can take one person to break that path of belief

• One reason is because if we don't look a certain degree of beautiful the guys don't even want to ask us what time it is much less start a conversation and get to know us. Only the good looking girls get asked out. When it comes to getting a job between 2 candidates, one very smart but ugly and one very pretty but not that smart the pretty one will get the job, the raise, the promotion... etc. If you have a killer bod you can get around the not so pretty face sometimes especially if you've got a big rack. Guys will talk to your tits instead of you and the only eye contact is his eyes on your tits. It's been going on for decades and will probably continue to do so for decades more. It's just a fact of life.

• It's been a thing for a long time now to care about your looks. I guess we blame the media's influence here.

• Because it matters to men, a lot, in fact mostly it's the only thing that matters. That's what we're told at least

• Societal standards, the media, how we're raised. This isn't new. We're brought up to obsessover it.

• Because of the society and when I say society I mean other people who judge and criticize women solely based on the looks.
    Example-- friend of mine, in her late 30's, is dating a guy who's 26. She looks great. In fact, they both looks about the same age.
    The minute people find out how old she is, they keep making comments that pretty soon she's going to look like his grandma, that he's going to leave her, etc.
    All nasty comments based on looks. So this is why we women worry. Because no matter how good you look, there is always something people will pin on you.

• this is true, age becomes a factor far to quickly, and i dont think it should. it does just take one negative comment to destroy someones self esteem

• You're right. My biggest problem with that is more often is women who trash other women. Men stick together while women are each other's biggest enemy.
      That's why I prefer to be friends with guys. More fun and no stress :)

• ah ok, see i tend to get on better with women than men, but i guess we all have our own comfort zones

• We want to look good so our guy's eyes don't wander.

• ok but is that your sole reason as a guy will normally only wonder if he doesn't truly love his current partner?

• Of course not

• which means he see's more than your looks and dress style, so he shouldn't wonder

• it's been like that since the beginning
    society has always valued women on looks first, then everything else
    with the advent of social media giving girls a chance to post nothing but their best pics, it's definitely exacerbated

• it is bad that social media and normal media both force women to believe they aren't good enough or that they should only post certain things

• Because women are generally judged solely on how they look.

• It's who and what they surround themselves with that make them over stress about their looks.

• Because it has been proven time and time again, that you're more likely to be taken seriously, sympathized with, and listened to if you're easy on the eyes.

• Being a perfectionist is in my dna + I model part time.

• which i can understand if you model, because its a career choice, but do you feel the media has had some influence on how to look? out of curiosity have your photos ever been airbrushed?

• @scuff1986 lol you took her in very deep waters for what she is used to. this getting blind phrase. it is true about everything. what do we have left, as humans, if everything external and superficial is taken from us? what do we boil down to? what are the inner treasures of our psyche? looks wither, these things though stay forever. but as a man you also have to understand ladies cannot attract men with character alone. so we have to place some emphasis there as well. some women might dedicate their whole life there but it's a temporary pursuit.

• @levantine99 which i can respect, and i do see that women now a days do find it hard to attract via personality alone, it just makes me sad that the world has gone shallow. Its like our my basic instincts have been taken away and we are left with what only others want us to see and believe

• How can we not? Our value and worth literally depends on how we look... unfortunately.

• This is life as we know woman wants to attract man so they can fuck and the other way around

• but it shouldn't be like that

• be realistic it is dick versus pussy that is life

• its sad, but i guess in a way your right, still shouldn't be like that

• Do men not care about their appearance as well?

• that is true some guys do, as you can see by my profile pic i hide nothing i am me

• Never said you did, most guys dont, I was just saying if they did it would make me think they are healthy. Just find someone that aligns with your preference, thats what I plan on doing

• which is undertsnadable

• It is feminine nature.

• Because it matters lol

• because they want to look better than they do, they look after them selves

• so its a desire to feel good in your own skin?

• its up to them what they wanna do?

• this is true, i guess everyone has there own view on themselves fueled by something they choose to believe

• because if we look bad nothing will love you / give us work / marry us

• see i dont agree with that

• some countrys are loads more relaxed about the body and clothing its just a shame that some people go round shaming others

• I think like that when you begin working you already know what you can / can't wear from work. When I was 14 and go in high school I had a really strict dress code ( like a buisness dress code)

• Because we are taught since kids that all we have to offer is beauty and our bodies. Even though it shouldn't be this way , many people still view women like that. It's sick , but thank god for feminism !!

• see i dont agree with women being treated like that and am in the middle of a long argument where i work to stop the female watiresses being treated differently and being made to wear less for to have there job

• Just take one look at society

• Because we're women