Can you make music if you are dreadfully shy?

My friends tell me that I have a nice tone of voice when I'm talking and they are sure I sound good when singing. (Well two of them accidentally heard me sing. Accidentally because I'm THAT shy to sing in front of people, even friends.) They know that I play the guitar and there is this guy who is a new friend and he has a small band, performs at a rock bar, he told me to join his band as a vocal.

Now, he hasn't heard me sing either. He is just so sure that I have a nice voice.

Plus, I'm extremely introverted and have been called "awkward, weird, isolated" many times before. Should I still try?

• Give it a try.
  • Do not do it.

Most Helpful Guy

• This sounds like the female version of me😂😂 even the words you described, except I haven't really tried singing I play instruments tho. I say do it, you never know what'll happen, it may be good, either way you don't want to live with that "what if"

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm painfully shy and i sing as well. If you really love singing and playing the guitar then being shy shouldn't stop you. Unless, you get horrible panic attacks when going on stage etc. I don't think being a perfroemer is the right job for someone that is very shy but , if you are really passionate about it , then give it go. ( i'm taking a chance as well)

What Guys Said 11

• As a person who is in a band, I can say for certain that yes, you should definitely give it a try.

1.) Shyness and awkwardness can helped be fixed with exposure to people. Even if it's awkward the first few times, it gets easier as you go on. You just need to get used to people to help fix it all. The more you play, the more confidence you'll receive. You just need to take it as a fun experience vs a nervous one.

2.) It gives you a chance to use the talents you have been honing for a purpose. Playing/practicing alone is great and relaxing, but I can say playing live is A LOT more fun.

• Carly Simon is extremely shy and has stage fright and she sings beautifully.

• give a shot. there have been very famous performers with well known cases of stage fright including adele, barbara streisand, david bowie, katy perry and carly simon

• Many many talented Artists are shy, introverted, idiosyncratic, etc. Scientists too. Give it a shot. Good luck!

• Give it a try because it might lead to something great. If you don't try then you will never find out.

• do it. I was like you (maybe still alittle bit :D ) First you will find it hard but you will definitely love it.

• Aaliyah was extremely shy, yes was an excellent R&B singer!

In fact she was so shy, she would wear sunglasses during interviews as a "safety blanket" of sorts.

• Why not? Write some songs if you play an instrument then try to sing to it.

• If anyone discourages you they are fools
    You so should and share it here so we can enjoy and support you

• Yes you can... Take Asia for the example.

• Making new music has nothing to do with shyness
    Anyone can perform , but tooo little can compose

What Girls Said 2

• Don't let your shyness stop you from doing what you like! I know it's easier to say it than to do it, but shyness is based on fear and fear is never a good thing when it stops us from developing ourselves.
    and forget about being judged. If you want to sing you don't have to depend on other people's judgement. just enjoy doing it :)

• Of course you can