Would you turn in Robbin Hood?

You are a witness as man robs a bank; however after leaving the bank you witness him head to a nearby orphanage. He donates all the stolen cash to the orphanage so that they can afford to feed, cloth, and care for its children. At the door the director of the orphanage is thanking the man for the donation and saying, "without this generous gift we were going to have to shut down by the end of the week."

You know who committed the crime. If you go to the authorities with the information, there’s a good chance the money will be returned to the bank, leaving a lot of kids in need. What do you do?

• Report the crime to the police
    31% (5)28% (5)29% (10)Vote
  • Say Nothing
    69% (11)72% (13)71% (24)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
1|7

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• "We want to hurt no one! We're here for the bank's money, not your money. Your money is insured by the federal government, you're not gonna lose a dime!"

This is the piss-poor attitude of most thieves and robbers. The truth is that there is no such thing as a free lunch. The bank's money may be insured, but it is taxpayers who back that insurance and have to pay out when the bank is robbed.

If you want to give money to an orphanage, then go work for that money and give it to them. Only a crazy person thinks they have a right to give MY money (or anyone else's money) to anyone else.

Fictional Robin Hood may have lived in a time and place where there was no means of redressing your grievances, but here in the US, we have elected and appointed officials and due process - plus media pressure - to create change. Robbing people, no matter what the motive, is not acceptable.

0|1
    0|0
    • 3mo

seems like you are specifically addressing a response here

but i'm guessing you would turn in the criminal?

• 3mo

Yep. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior today - there are far more effective ways of righting social wrongs, and doing it without hurting innocent people.

• 3mo

If you were going to do that you could at least have the decency to address my own comment

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!

What Guys Said 6

• First off
    We want to hurt no one! We're here for the bank's money, not your money. Your money is insured by the federal government, you're not gonna lose a dime! Think of your families, don't risk your life. Don't try and be a hero!
    The Banks money is insured and the people who owned the accounts didn't lose a dime. The Bank may have taken a hit but the banks can not only afford to take the hit but the fact is that after 2008 we saw just how unethical they act so as long as no one died I don't care.
    Third, the money that is now being replaced is being put to a more moral and better use than the banks were going to.
    So no, I would not

0|1
    0|0
    • 3mo

"We want to hurt no one! We're here for the bank's money, not your money. Your money is insured by the federal government, you're not gonna lose a dime! Think of your families, don't risk your life. Don't try and be a hero!"
      Thats a line from the greatest cops and robbers movie ever made Heat (1995) the first time Al Pacino and Robert De Niro appeared in the same scene, they were in the same movie in the godfather part two but never in the same scene

• I probably wouldn't. Robin Hood is like the superhero Green Arrow who steals from the corrupted rich and gives to the needy. Not all wealthy people are corrupt though.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm all for enforcing the spirit of rather than the letter of the law where there's ambiguity. There isn't here. This is still a crime.

0|1
    0|0
  • If he were running for office I'd use the money i stole from poor people to discredit him and use identity politics to discredit his supporters.

0|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

if who was running for office? the thief?
      you'd use the money you stole? in this scenario you are not the thief

i see you are trying (with a very thin veil) to make this political. perhaps we can have a few post that are devoid of the all to banal political back and forth

• 3mo

We can and we do. Just not this one.

• Well considering withholding information could make you an accomplice, and you'd serve similar jail time, I'd say..."fuck the police".

0|0
    0|0
  • Walk away the money's incurred the bank will get it all back it didn't come out of anyone's account so fuck the incurance company

0|1
    0|0