Do you think who you know enables you to get into industries such as music, art, writing etc?

• Yes
  • No
  • Only if your family is famous or rich this would apply

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course! That's what "networking" is all about...
    For example, look at Hollywood which is dominated by Jews. Do Jews have some fantastic innate acting ability compared to everyone else? No! But, because that industry has had Jews for a very long time and because it's a cohesive community having been an oppressed minority for millenia, they will look out for each other and give each other jobs.

Now, before anyone says I am a bigot, that community cohesion/networking phenomenon is pure human nature. Here's another example:

The vast majority of hotels in the United States are owned by Indians and, of those, most are owned by people named Patel. My hotel that I stay in is just such a hotel. Google "Patel Motel". Do Indians have this fantastic innate ability to be innkeepers? No! But, once some Indians came to America, they realuzed that, as immigrants, there are many plusses to owning and operating hotels. Your family can live in the hotel and work there. Saves costs all around. By saving money, you buy more hotels... and if you sell a hotel, you sell to other Indians to help keep it in the community...

These two examples are of ethnic networking, but there are other networks too, such as fraternities. The Greek system's networking was a big reason in the past to join a frat or sorority because it helped you get jobs.

Another kind of networking is solely based on reputation. I am a contractor and I keep working at this one site because I am well known with a good reputation. So, when I am unemployed and they need someone, they call my recruiter and ask for me by name because I am "plug and play"; I don't really need to be interviewed anymore. They ask me "Are you available?" "Yes" "When can you start?" So, this is an instance in which hard work leads to a good reputation which is a form of networking...

My point in all of this is that networking definitely helps in life. However, getting started can be the hard part when you are young.

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope I don't

What Guys Said 4

• I have no idea how that works.
    I have no idea how radio stations choose who to make famous out of the millions of people trying.

• Having contacts has always been the more successful way of getting further in life than simply having an education.

• Partially, it certainly helps. But if you are able to work hard you can make it in any industry.

What Girls Said 1

• My brother in law is somewhat a film/music producer

How did he get his big break?

guess*

sounds interesting