Shit grades... how do I eliminate this feeling of disappointment?

Feeling so depressed right now...
I don't feel horny/sexual anymore at all, don't feel motivated to workout or get out, don't feel like socialising. don't even feel like sleeping or doing ANYTHING... just sitting down starring blankly into the wall with no emotions. Can't even be bothered to feel sad.

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 20

• Well, if the true source of your depression is your academic performance, then you've got to figure out what's negatively affecting your studies and fix it. Are you struggling with the material? Is it your professor? Do you have trouble learning with his/her teaching style? Maybe you just need a good tutor. Is it lack of time management that leads you to not get homework assignments done or to be unprepared for big assignments/tests?

Maybe a good step would be to email your professor and schedule a time to sit down and ask if there's any extra credit you can do or discuss what exactly you need to do in order to raise your grade. There was one semester when I was in college where I partied too hard and ended up in your situation but my professor was cool enough to let me do some assignments over. You never know unless you ask!

Actually this helped a lot! i think there is something psychologically affecting me from performing!

Good :) I can advise you in private if you'd like to talk about it or if you don't feel comfortable unloading with a stranger as a good friend for advice. But if you honestly don't feel like their advice is really going to help you actually fix the problem, then take advantage of your school counselor because they can actually set you up with a plan to get happier and be motivated. And they'll tweak it for you if it's not working.

I know depression sucks but if you can find the motivation to get up, working out really makes a big difference especially a run to a scenic place with some good music. One big thing that has helped me with depression is travel and putting myself in beautiful surroundings like a weekend trip to Niagara Falls or even just to a museum. Then I can't even feel sad anymore because I can't help but feel grateful to even be alive and have the gift of sight. There's just something about being wonderstruck that kills depression.

Actually of course it would help! Up for a talk :P And if you want to talk about anything too!

I agree yes, that helps a lot! Always always there's a bright side to life, and whatever happens it always works out. Oh you live way up in the North? :o

• You don't have to eliminate it. Or at least not now. Just accept this "feeling" or rather this absence of feeling because whatever you fight will resist. Especially thoughts and emotions. Let it be for a while and accept that what is done cannot be changed but keep in mind that not everything is lost. You have a whole new year to focus on now and even the work you fournished before remains valuable though the bad grades. I think that I told you a few months ago that effort is just as valuable as the end result, which is something I truly believe. Feel free to make your own judgement of it!

Only later on, when you feel better you could start to ponder on what to improve in your way of revising or whatever. But that's just life, an ongoing alteration between failure and success. x

• AHAHA results day today isn't it? 😂 Go out and get drunk and forget about your problems like everyone else is gonna do today 😂

Don't worry man, seeing as you already got in anyway you're fine. I didn't get the good grades for the uni I wanted to go to so I have to take an access course which is gonna take me a year.
    Not the end of the world, and could be worse.
    Now get your shit out there and socialise, you bum.

Yeah unfortunately! Not the grades I wanted -_- BCC

thanks doe, you're totally right! Which Uni are you wanting to go to?
      You'll be fine :P

No not foundation, it's called access course, for people 19+ :) I haven't actually done a-levels I did high school
      OHHH I know Plymouth, well hope you enjoy uni :) prepare for some crazy shit 😂

ooh that's interesting! And because you came to London from Sweden too :p

Thanks, likewise! Just can't wait to get out and surf everyday >:)

• Study harder; Hire a tutor - What helped me get 4/5 distinctions, was martial arts, because it taught me discipline. Start with studies EARLY on, so you won't feel pressured when you have to write exams. I'm an MBA student, I study every day, except on weekends. I know it's no fun studying, but just remember this: You will not have today over again. Each passing day is a gift, so is time - use your time wisely & efficiently. Studying hard does not last a lifetime. Get it done & be over with it.

• Sorry to hear that you're disappointed, but on the bright side, congratulations for getting an unconditional offer. That's a feat in itself.

Make this a lesson for yourself, go into uni with a fresh mindset and really apply yourself so you don't feel the same disappointment when you graduate. After all, you've entered a new stage of your career where an employer is going to look at your degree classification before they even glance your A-Levels. So this is your chance to do as best as you can.

• I am sorry you feel this way. If your academics are causing you to feel so down, maybe see if you can ask a classmate to study together or maybe see a tutor. I see you say you got in, so congratulations on that! That usually means they see potential in you, so hit the books and show them how good you are. Just dedicate a space to study, time to study and keep up with it. Also maybe join a study group. If not, a one on one with someone might help, too. You feel down now, but you can totally pick yourself up.

• little pup 😞

I so don't like seeing you down. Getting shitty grades suck. But dwelling won't help. Try to figure out where you went wrong. Was it your studying habits? Did you just not get the work? Whatever the case, don't beat yourself up about it. It happens. All you can do is try harder next time. Don't be defeated. And you know not to give up. I'm here if you need an ear. Keep your head up mate. 💙

• :/
    Which classes?
    Can you hire a tutor?
    I'm sorry, that sucks - but you're also doing a difficult course (architecture right?) so don't be too hard on yourself!
    Let me know if you want study tips :) also I can't give you a real hug but *air hug*

• You get a chick to give you a hug.

- I might be volunteering. * Might *

• Grades are not everything in life. They are not your friends or family. And people learn at different rates and through different ways. You can always do the course again, and get a tutor to help you. No shame in that. Don't be so hard on yourself, you're doing great

• Just try and do better next time look in to help like I use teaching textbooks for math work great for me lol😃

• It's not the end of the world if u receive bad grades. They should not define who you are and definitely not be the cause for unhappiness.

• Awh I'm sorry. Don't let it get you down! It's just a few grades. Doesn't mean anything unless you let it dig you deeper. Try to learn from your mistakes.

Are you going to college?

University! Obviously the only way is to stay strong and to forget about it, recovered from the feeling now after a good sporting session. Thanks x

Good!! I'm glad you're feeling better 😄

• This was happening to me last semester (spring) and my grades really suffered, so I understand. Are you on medication?

• I'll feel sad for you. Cheer up buttercup.

But I can't give tips on how to avoid disappointment, I'm the queen of it.

• Umm 🤔 *thinking of what to say that can cheer you up* ...

• Find what your weaknesses are and study better next time... That's all I can think of :/

• Just tell yourself there's always next time and that you'll try to get better marks next time!

• Get better grades.

• It happens, just try and move on from it, like take a retest

No problem, hopefully everything will work out, I went through something similar where I flunked my favourite subject, I was so disappointed like you I didn't want to eat etc but eventually with time you'll forget and move onto other things :)

What Guys Said 12

• I had the same patch. Then my uncle who's a heart surgeon talked me out of it. He said that when people/ companies hire you, they are not paying a price for your grades, they are paying a price for your brain. So keep it sharp, no one is a born genius, intelligence is a sword, you need to polish and sharpen it from time to time. Read books, not just your subject, general books, you'll learn so many different things which you'll find you can apply everywhere even in your field.
    I can recommend you some books if you like
    - Try any one from Dan Brown collection
    The way Dan brown write his novels is very vivid and creative. Everything he tells has a significance somewhere in the story. His thrillers are on an entirely different level.
    - Art of War (Sun Tzu)
    Man if you read this book you'll never be scared of anything in your life. Sun Tsu was a chinese military strategist , and though it might seem the book is about self defense and all but it's not. Almost every other page has a quote and you can infer its meaning in your life. For eg it has a very beautiful quote "Even when the water hits the dam, its hits with full force" (not exact wordings) for me it means that I should try and give my best at everything no matter what result.
    A beautiful mind (Sylvia nasar)
    If you have seen the movie still read it. I am currently reading this one, its about a mathematician John Nash (died last year) who made the game theory, what is it? Read it and find out. Its about his life , the first part and how his mind works. Very beautiful book.

If you are looking for any particular genre you can pm me, if I have read any I can recommend.

• Be glad you got an unconditional offer. Others are not so lucky. Tell yourself how you're going to stop this from happening in uni.
    Go for a walk for an hour or so if you live in the countryside. This will help. Trust.
    A friend of mine didn't even go to sixth form. Now he's making a decent amount of money for a 17 year old as an apprentice engineer which will eventually grow into some seriously good money (they offered him a job for when the apprenticeship ends). Not saying you should stop what you're doing, but I think it's relieving to know that people do perfectly well without university.

Anyway, like others said, the fact you got an unconditional offer means that they obviously want you a lot. I know this might sound bad, but think of all the others who are in way worse situations than you. Just to rationalise, y'know? All in all, just know you'll be fine.

Completely relate and agree! Thanks man :)
      How's Sixth form for you?

No problem :)
      Day to day Sixth form is fine. I go to a grammar school, so standards are quite high which can be daunting. Although I got my AS results today, A in Geology and B in Geography. I don't know my Biology results because it's internal, but I know it's probably not as good as the other three. I'm just worried, I have no idea how to tell my mum, as Biology is kind of "my" subject, and we've spent loads of time looking at biology related uni courses. It's my favourite subject, but the government decided to make the exams really fucking hard starting this year, so there are no past papers : ))))))
      Honestly there are other things I could talk about to do with Sixth form but they're not 100% school related.

*other two (dropped maths after Christmas)

• I can't have you not feeling sexual, this won't do at all. I just saw you got B's and C's... you should have seen my college grades😂😂😂😂 Cheer up, bro, the sun still comes up every morning regardless. Admirable that you take school seriously, but don't forget you're in the best part of your youth too, make sure you have a ton of fun👍 Just gotta strike that balance. Have you had trouble with grades in the past or is the shit you're studying now just really hard?

• Did you get enough points to get into uni, or close to?

I'm in yes, with an unconditional... so I've cheated :/

^^^ yes. best advice here.

Yeah I agree, unconditional is a new start, fresh! The degree matters.
      But he got into UCL! :o woah. What's he doing now?

• Go on 9gag.

• accept it and figure what you can do about it. Remember if your thinking about college not to take a degree in something useless.

• Most employers don't care about grades so long as you passed whatever course or degree it was. If you're feeling like shit about this, do something to avoid this ever happening again! Don't be afraid to ask for help - colleges and universities have support services if you're struggling because they want you to succeed.

• just dont give up man. keep studying hard and never give up

• Engineering dude

• My physics professor threatened me to give me a back this semester if I absent any class.
    It was my first interaction. Lol😂
    I know dude... I understand the pain.

• Motivational music could help.

• Meh, who cares about grades while there are hot chicks around huh? ;D