Anybody else find the Olympics a bit over hyped?

I mean, the whole media has got this buzz about it, and I want my country (UK) to do well and everything, but I can't watch more than 5 mins in any sport. Maybe a little longer in football (soccer) but nothing else.

Anybody else just don't see the point of watching it?

• Yeah I think it's boring
  • Actually I watch it
  • What's the olympics?

Most Helpful Girl

• I try to watch it.
    Besides the time difference, I find that Japanese media focus so much on their own athletes (much more than in the other countries I've lived in) that I can't possibly enjoy watching the games and feelcthe atmosphere.
    They win gold and I don't even know who they were competing against or who got the other medals.

As for the media raving the games, sometimes it's needed to don't let an event pass in blank and create memories... like birthdays, lol.
    I hate when they do it with things completely unrelated to the country's society or culture though.

Most Helpful Guy

• Once in four years. We can put up with it for the short time it is on. The competitors working so hard for years to put for a tremendous effort during this event. For any that like physical competition, these people deserve out attention and congratulations.

What Girls Said 10

• Nah olympics are best

• I was only interested in the gymnastics. But all together, it is why overhyped especially for sports. IT's like the world cup. No one cares about soccer until the world cup rolls around, then everyone knows everything there is to know about soccer.

Actually, everyone in Europe and Asia watch football all the time (you guys call it soccer coz you don't watch it)

We watch it twice a week and try to watch at least most matches across Europe.

When the World Cup turns up its extra for us.

Why do Americans think that just coz you're shit at a sport the whole world doesn't watch it?

• No, because where I am originally from, it's a tradition for it to be hyped.
    Don't get me started on the pot covers and party in Half Way Tree lol
    67.media.tumblr.com/.../...9fw331rrpm57o5_1280.jpg

• Yes. Like most things in the media.

• i have watched bits of it but i'm not interested

• No I like it

• This year... Yes

• I try to ignore the whole thing. More of a football and hockey fan.

• I love the opening ceremony but that's just about it.

• yes, like I don't get what's so interesting. no offense to hardcore fans

What Guys Said 12

• No... It happens once every 4 years across a shit ton of sports. Everyone working their entire lives for a single moment

It also doesn't hurt that we are absolutely mopping the field with at least 10 more medals in every place and nearly doubling the China (2nd)... Not trying to sound cocky, but true. You like things you're good at, I guess. Same reason why we don't give a shit about soccer... We suck at it 😂😂😂

• I've seen snippets, but only by chance. I find it way to boring and disruptive. Not that I actually watch much TV anyway. When the local news is half Olympic coverage, make me think the rest of the world has stopped!

• every four years the world watches shit they can go another four years without watching. i really only like the sprinting. everything else seems kind of lame. simone biles she's a midget doing back flips lol.

• You mean women's beach volleyball players of the world? I love the main event, but the rest is kinda dull.

• Are you watching on the normal BBC channels or on the red button. Its hard to get into it if they keep cutting back to a studio of people just talking.

It also helps if you support someone. It gives you a vested interest. Or if you are into something similar yourself. Like weightlifting if you go to the gym.

But I get where you are coming from. If you can't get yourself involved in some way, then it is just a bunch of people running around in circles.

Watch it on both. Hell even other channels.

But I just can't see why watching usain bolt winning medals or Phelps' ugly face with medals helps me.

I think the olmpics has shifted from historically a competition to a business.

Yeah they could do. But where there's money involved today there's corruption.

We are back to getting cynical with age. I thought this would happen, but not this young.

I wish I could help you. Maybe just play sports rather than watch them...

• I love it, and get into it every year. But I hate the way it's set up now, where you have to spend billions just to make it "international standard" when half the athletes come from third world countries and that money could be spent elsewhere.

• It's super hyped to the point of nausea; as always. But I caught a couple events

• I've been watching it all day. I think its great

• Yeah the Americans already have 100 metals apposed to the runner up Great Britain who has 56

• I watch parts of it (mostly 'cause it's what my family does), but only swimming/gymnastics/running (and others like that) – I find the other stuff boring.

• i couldn't care less and have intentionally avoided it.

• Lol I watch, people aren't just not into sports cuz they're nerds lel